Big Chop (suffering from alopecia)

deja86

Hi I would like to find out whether or not there is anyone that has any form of Alopecia or traction that big chopped their hair and the progress of growth within these particular areas and also if they could post a picture though you don't have to.

I mainly want to encourage a loved one who wants to go natural but is slightly discouraged due to suffering from alopecia though their hair has started to show bouts of new growth in these areas.

:thankyou:

nzeee

Uhm, i have alopecia areata... currently in remission... but that's a lot different from traction alopecia so my experience is unlikely to be very helpful if your loved one is experiencing traction alopecia... i think you may get more helpful info if you were more specific about what you needed.

if you are interested in alopecia areata tho, i can tell you as much as a doctor can... which is that it comes and goes, there's no way to control it (w/out heavy steroids) and that the perimeter is the most resistant to spontaneous regrowth or treatment.

i kept my head shaved for years during the period that my alopecia was active. even shaved bald you could still tell there was something wrong since there isn't even any baby hairs or fuzz... just bare scalp (hahaha). i didn't take many pictures of my exposed scalp so none to share. anyhoo if your friend has an auto-immune disease (alopecia areata) then i suggest patience and wigs. if she has traction alopecia get her to see a derm for treatment and prognosis if she hasn't already.

deja86

My relative has alopecia which basically stems from her having overactive thyroid. As a result the hair around her hairline is very sparse though I have noticed some growth developing there and the rest of her hair seems to grow fine.

When you shaved your head bald :) could you see the difference between where your bare scalp was with regards to the rest of your head? did you cut it to that level?

sorry for all the questions lol

Thank you for your response and advice.

alive

hey deja86, i don't have alopecia, but i do have a very sensitive hairline with two sparse sections in front (inherited from my dad). i'm not sure whether i have more hair in those sections now than i did when i had a relaxer.
that said, i do think my hairline looks much better overall because of the illusion of thickness that my curls/kinks create. i wish i had pictures to share but hopefully others chime in as well :yep: