Any advice about traction alopecia

Isis33

Hi there,

Has anybody here suffered from traction alopecia? If so, what are you doing to get it treated (preferably natural remedies)? I have read that aloe vera gel is meant to help build new hair follicles and promote hair growth but I have not found any solid evidence that it actually works.

I am suffering from traction alopecia, the parting on the back of my head and on the side seems to be getting wider over time! I also have a very thin frontal hair line. On top of that, I suffer from psoriasis on my scalp which hasn't flared up in a while and I suspect only flares up during stressful times.

I plan to stop relaxing my hair and would like to try out some remedies apart from what the trichologist suggested because I feel that a lot of trichologists (a) do not understand black people's hair; and (b) charge too much money for products that are not guaranteed to work. If I decide to start relaxing my hair again, I plan to following the tips found on this website (such as diluting the relaxer cream with olive oil and/or conditioner) so that it is more lenient on my scalp.

I would greatly appreciate any hints, tips, personal success stories and suggestions that any of you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Lila25

I'm sorry this is happening to you.. I went natural back in 2009 because I damaged my hair and scalp terribly by putting black dye in my hair the same day...I know...I had a severe allergic reaction...lost hair, and my scalp itched for about three months..it was unbearable...I don't have alopecia, but my scalp was damaged and my hair was fried...I transitioned for a year, then cut out all the remaining relaxer and I never looked back...the chemicals in relaxers don't jibe with everyone's scalp and with you having psoriasis, he relaxer may be further irritating the skin and follicles...I would give your scalp a rest from relaxers...see how long you can go without them..good luck! :bighug:

Isis33

I'm sorry this is happening to you.. I went natural back in 2009 because I damaged my hair and scalp terribly by putting black dye in my hair the same day...I know...I had a severe allergic reaction...lost hair, and my scalp itched for about three months..it was unbearable...I don't have alopecia, but my scalp was damaged and my hair was fried...I transitioned for a year, then cut out all the remaining relaxer and I never looked back...the chemicals in relaxers don't jibe with everyone's scalp and with you having psoriasis, he relaxer may be further irritating the skin and follicles...I would give your scalp a rest from relaxers...see how long you can go without them..good luck! :bighug:
Thanks Lila,

I am now researching the techniques I could use to give my scalp/hair a rest and have come to the conclusion that I will just wear a wig. I am also researching 'natural' relaxers (which probably doesn't do much but hopefully it would at least make the regrowth manageable).

I am glad that you was able to save your scalp before it was too late!

Isis33

Thanks for your reply Qualitee,

I have also read about hair growth oils with sulfur, don't know how easy it would be to find in the UK though. Will research further!

ilong

God's Own
Isis33- there are two threads on alopecia (areata) with a wealth of great information in them. I would search for these threads and try some of the recommendations. You may want to reconsider putting any chemicals in your hair, until you have resolved the alopecia issue. Sulfur may be too strong for you if your hair/scalp are fragile. If I tried sulfur based product I woul start with Sulfur 8

Newtogrow

I have centrifugal alopecia, I just started treatment from a derm. Search alopecia and there are lovely theads.

Striving4perfection86

Definitely do a search but I think alot of things are trail and error as something work for one person and not for another! There have been many products that people have raved about on this forum that did nothing for me:ohwell:. I suffered from traction alopecia in 2 areas along my hairline here's what I did:
1. Identify the cause of the problem and eliminate it- for me it was too much slick backs!:nono::nono:
2. Look for growth stimulants and make a mix and apply it daily and upon applying do the GHE:yep::yep:
3. Be consistent otherwise you won't see results, you will get there it takes patience and determination. :yep:

BrownSkin2

I suffered traction alopecia from a weave three years ago. I put aloe vera plant on my scalp..the actual plant. I break open the leaf and apply to my scalp. I started in August of last year, after Komaza analysis and recommendations. It works! I had applied other stuff over the three years and even went to a derm, but nothing worked like aloe vera. I started seeing results after 3 weeks. I apply 2 or 3 times a week with massages. HTH

Isis33

Definitely do a search but I think alot of things are trail and error as something work for one person and not for another! There have been many products that people have raved about on this forum that did nothing for me:ohwell:. I suffered from traction alopecia in 2 areas along my hairline here's what I did:
1. Identify the cause of the problem and eliminate it- for me it was too much slick backs!:nono::nono:
2. Look for growth stimulants and make a mix and apply it daily and upon applying do the GHE:yep::yep:
3. Be consistent otherwise you won't see results, you will get there it takes patience and determination. :yep:

Hikmah1986 Thank you for your reply,

I actually self diagnosed myself with traction alopecia (since it has all the tell tale signs), but while using chemicals on my tender/sensitive scalp and tight plaits surely didn't help the matter, I have recently noticed that my hair is actually thinning on top and down below (if you get what I mean). I will therefore be going for a blood test tomorrow to rule out any thyroid/hormonal defects etc and will then see a dermatologist.

In the mean time, I stopped the tight hair styles about a year ago, still considering giving the relaxer cream a break though. I also started using MN 2 days ago, and will stop using after 7 days. I will then start using Jamaican Black castor oil.

I will keep you all updated.

Thank you again for your advice :)

Last edited:

Isis33

Thank you for your advice :)

A few other people have told me about aloe vera. I will definitely give it a try. Don't know how easy it will be to find the actual plant in the UK though (hopefully I can find it down the market...).

So, you broke open the leave and rubbed the actual plant on your scalp (not the gel)? How often did you do this? once/twice daily?

Thanks again

Isis33

I suffered traction alopecia from a weave three years ago. I put aloe vera plant on my scalp..the actual plant. I break open the leaf and apply to my scalp. I started in August of last year, after Komaza analysis and recommendations. It works! I had applied other stuff over the three years and even went to a derm, but nothing worked like aloe vera. I started seeing results after 3 weeks. I apply 2 or 3 times a week with massages. HTH
Thank you for your advice :)

BrownSkin2 A few other people have told me about aloe vera. I will definitely give it a try. Don't know how easy it will be to find the actual plant in the UK though (hopefully I can find it down the market...).

So, you broke open the leave and rubbed the actual plant on your scalp (not the gel)? How often did you do this? once/twice daily?

Thanks again

Last edited: