birth control&hair shedding?

niqu92

ive been taking Yaz for about 3months now for my acne.....and for when my bf comes into town:look:..so for the past couple of weeks ive noticed that my hair has been shedding A LOT like i'll run my hands through my hair and strands will literally just fall out. so yesterday i kept wondering why my hair was falling out so much because this has never happened before so i kept thinking and then it finally hit me that it must be the birthcontrol. so i went on google and sure enough one of Yaz's most common side effects is hair shedding and whats worse is my doctor never told me any of the side effects before i started it.Im so upset because this year has been a year of set backs for me and this has just added to it:nono:

have any of you ladies experienced shedding from birthcontrol?and if you have what did you do to stop it?idk if i should stop taking it or just continue with it. Please please puh-leeeaase respond because im desperate:ohwell:

dancinstallion

I experienced shedding when I got my iud but also I am a heavy shedder. My body eventually got used to it. I do Coffee/tea rinses and eat fresh garlic so I can combat the shedding from the inside and outside.

I try to do coffee rinses 1-2x a week. I eat a piece of garlic once a day sometimes less often when I get lazy.

Solitude

YES, I have. Ive suffered a small bald patch twice in my life. The only two common factors were that I was using Depo Provera.

For some, BC is the devil. I'm one of those people; I've had other bad experiences as well that I won't get into...but no you are not crazy.

Doctors either don't know or won't tell you about the dangers. They believe the "studies" from pharmaceutical companies.

bellebebe

When I was on the pills I also experienced a lot of shedding. I simply stopped taking them and switched my BC method.

candiecoco

I have been on Depo since March of this year and my hair has thinned out so bad. I just cut my hair to chin length from APL length due to the thinning of my hair. I looked at a comparison pic I took in Feburary and my hair was thick and shiny. Now its thin and lemp. I will not be getting my next shot.

rufus12

I took Depo once years ago, it had horrible side effects, I would not advise this form of birth control. I know eveyone's body is different but just be careful.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SPH-M910

prettybyrd

I took Yaz for a few weeks and had the worse migraines ever! I didn't stay on it long enough to experience any other symptoms, like shedding, because the migraines were too much for me to handle.

Your shedding sounds excessive. I don't think it's normal to lose as much hair as you describe just by touching your hair. You may want to contact your doctor about this and find out if there is something else that you can use.

Best to you!

EbonyCPrincess

Thanks for sharing this OP, I just returned to using BC for my acne as well. I will definitely keep an eye on it now.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Raspberry

I took Depo once years ago, it had horrible side effects, I would not advise this form of birth control. I know eveyone's body is different but just be careful.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SPH-M910

Depo has so many documented awful side effects I can't believe it's considered ethical for docs to keep prescribing it :nono: I also feel like they push this drug more on minority women because its considered a no-brainer form of BC.

One of my relatives got preggo soon after stopping Depo and she had awful hemorraging throughout her pregnancy and delivered 4 months early :nono:

Don't trust docs to tell you the full story about a drug.. get your Google on and check a variety of sources.

tasha7239

I am currently taking Loestrin 24 FE. So far I have no complaints about it. I do not know if it helps with acne though.

Bajanmum

Oh my word!...I was going to post a thread just like this one (I just got lazy).

I'm on the implant, and I've just had a new one put in after the last one expired. But shedding has just become a little worse. The doc changed it from implanon to nexplanon. So I was just wondering if the new one was the culprit...I think I'll just baby my hair rather than change BC. I think I'd rather do that than get preggies for the 5th time. :giggle:

honeybearmommy32

Yes my hair shed on Yaz. To stop it I strtd taking 3,000mcg Biotin, and the shedding stopped. My stylist also did the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment which she said rids the scalp of any abnormalities and reproduces a healthier growing environment.

After 6 mnths I stopped Yaz and got the 10yr no hormone iud. So far, so good. But u have to have a kid already to gt the iud in some states.

RossBoss

When I was on Depo Provera my hair shed like crazy, in addition to stubborn weight gain and fluid retention. I would never take that damn shot again.

Precious_P

I used Depo years ago and had so much shedding that I had a bald patch. I have used a variety of BC and I always had major side effects that I could not deal with. After I had my DD I decided to use the copper IUD because it does not use hormones, which is the cause of all of the side effects. I had to have it removed recently because the placement of it was off and was causing discomfort. I decided to go back to Nuva Ring. I never had any issues with it because it releases a low level of hormones. Also, it does not need to travel through your system like other methods of BC because of its location. (Your body still absorbs some of the hormones that it releases but it's a lower amount).

Sent from my Droid using Droid

Solitude

OP, you can try a form of birth control that either has no or a low dose hormones. I would not stay on Yaz, personally.

For married people, the rhythm method works if both partners commit to it. I know a few of my married friends do that as an alternative to hormones. Some of my single friends have the three-year implant, Implanon.

Precious_P

OP, you can try a form of birth control that either has no or a low dose hormones. I would not stay on Yaz, personally.

For married people, the rhythm method works if both partners commit to it. I know a few of my married friends do that as an alternative to hormones. Some of my single friends have the three-year implant, Implanon.

My husband and I have actally discussed this as a way for me to avoid hormones.

SuchaLady

The rhythm method is the least effective of every method there is. :nono: I'm a CHFD (child and family development) major and my professor has this joke where he says What do you call couples that use the rhythm method? Parents. :ohwell: Not to mention you can get pregnant any day of the year. Also you can get pregnant up to five days after sex. So that would mean no sex during the week leading up to your cycle and 5 days before.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

niqu92

Yes my hair shed on Yaz. To stop it I strtd taking 3,000mcg Biotin, and the shedding stopped. My stylist also did the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment which she said rids the scalp of any abnormalities and reproduces a healthier growing environment.

After 6 mnths I stopped Yaz and got the 10yr no hormone iud. So far, so good. But u have to have a kid already to gt the iud in some states.

i just actually bought Biotin to see if it would stop the shedding but its 1,000mcg Biotin hopefully it works

The thing is im torn i dont knw what to do, for the past yr my skin has been looking awful and it seems like the Yaz is really helping.this is the first time my skin has been looking good in awhile. but at the same time my hair is shedding like crazy....uggh so i honestly dont know what to do. healthy skin,shedding hair? or acne&nice hair?:ohwell: i dunno....
my hair is very thick so thats one of the only things thats keeping the shedding unnoticeable, the only person who has noticed is my mom and thats because she knows my hair. urrrggh. what would you guys do???

regina07

WOW! This is exactly what I'm experiencing! I'm on a low-dose birth control to control uterine polyps and for the past 5 weeks, my daily shedding has tripled! Along with that, I've gained 6 lbs.

I'm already taking 2,000 mcg biotin and garlic daily. I may have to double/triple both of them and increase my tea rinse until the shedding slows down.

OP - thanks for starting this thread!

dyamonds10

I am on depo and I just started in october after my dd was born in august. I have lost sooo much freaking hair. I started garlic supplements, garlic oil, vitamin d and biotin along with my prenatals this week. So over it!

niqu92

i decided to completely stop my birth control and my shedding has slowed down a lot im still shedding but not as much as i was back in october
garlic supplements and biotin helped along with black tea rinses so i would strongly recommend it dyamonds10 & regina07

dyamonds10

Well, I am going to get biotin finally because I am still shedding like crazy. I have never had thin hair in my life and right now I ready to cut my mblish hair to sl because of it!