Birth Control In Conditioners... (Yup I'm New)

BonnieB

Hello everyone, first I would like to say that i finally paid my $5 after lurking since 2003. :blush: :nono: lol But as a college student i decided to invest in my hair as well as my education and that's why I am here.

..back to the topic...
My cousins have told me that in some Dominican hair salons they use crushed up birth control pills in their conditioners (and sometimes their shampoos) to promote hair growth. My friend is Dominican with very thick hair and used unscented garlic shampoo with this mixed conditioner and her hair is very long. My only concern is, wouldn't the hormones from the birth control pills cause abnormal bodily functions (like a delayed cycle)? Is this safe?:perplexed :(:eek:

Has anybody heard of this? or done this? PLEASE SHARE.

PassionFruit

I truly believe this ( salons putting BC in conditioners) to be an urban legend or a grossly exaggerated version of the truth

aloof one

Hey if you want breast cancer and irregular cycle and other disastrous effects on your body, sounds like a good idea to put some BC in your conditioner, lol...

JK. I wouldnt try it, and I wouldnt go anywhere where they did it. THat is a bunch of damned fools if they really are doing that mess.

JustKiya

I don't think this is an urban legend - if anyone can dig up the Chicken Grease thread, the lady who had jsut come back from the islands said that they did this - and I think a couple more ladies chimed in saying the same thing.

I don't put the little demonpills in my body, and I'm danngone SURE not going to put them in my hair, :look: but that's just me.

It makes sense, though - extra hormones in the body during pregnancy makes your hair thicker/retards shedding, and the hormones in BC pills make your body THINK it's pregnant so it won't ovulate - so I can totally see how it could work.

*shudder* I get enough estrogens in my drinking water though..... I rarely think that something is an out and OUT bad idea - but this one is REAL close to that.

BonnieB

Hey if you want breast cancer and irregular cycle and other disastrous effects on your body, sounds like a good idea to put some BC in your conditioner, lol...

JK. I wouldnt try it, and I wouldnt go anywhere where they did it. THat is a bunch of damned fools if they really are doing that mess.

I totally agree. I just don't think its safe!:nono:

BonnieB

Thanks ladies! I wouldn't try it because i don't any unnecessary doctor visits or bodily harm. I want to grow some hair but not badly enough to harm my health.