BKT....possible cancer causing agent

kanjail

I was reading another thread that mentioned BKT and had no idea what it was, so of course I "googled it" and to my surprise this is what I found...

(CBS) Women are raving about a new hair-straightening process from Brazil that works and, by all accounts, works well, for up to four months.

But Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT) uses formaldehyde, a chemical known to cause cancer.

On The Early Show Friday, Dr. Ellen Marmur, a dermatologist at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center, raised red flags about the potential health risks of BKT.

It's grown rapidly in popularity in the United States over the last six months.

It promises shiny, voluminous, straight hair -- even on colored or damaged hair -- for three to four months. The procedure, which costs between $150 and $800 or more, is available at salons across the country.

The complete article can be found at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/26/earlyshow/health/main3414868.shtml

Demi27

I was reading another thread that mentioned BKT and had no idea what it was, so of course I "googled it" and to my surprise this is what I found...

(CBS) Women are raving about a new hair-straightening process from Brazil that works and, by all accounts, works well, for up to four months.

But Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT) uses formaldehyde, a chemical known to cause cancer.

On The Early Show Friday, Dr. Ellen Marmur, a dermatologist at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center, raised red flags about the potential health risks of BKT.

It's grown rapidly in popularity in the United States over the last six months.

It promises shiny, voluminous, straight hair -- even on colored or damaged hair -- for three to four months. The procedure, which costs between $150 and $800 or more, is available at salons across the country.

The complete article can be found at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/26/earlyshow/health/main3414868.shtml

I remember seeing this video. I was scared out of my mind too, until I found out that they have BKT's without formaldehyde. If I'm not mistaken, several of the ladies on here have used the ones without it.

Dak

It's constant, prolonged exposure you have to look out for. You'd find the same red flag about the acetone that's in nail polish remover; constant exposure to fumes from relaxers, some hair color, polish & remover and many other commonly used cleaners.

It's all about taking sensible precautions and using some common sense.

luckiestdestiny

this concern has already been raised, no?
about a million times :rolleyes: however I thank the op for being cautious, even though research in the threads will show future docs, scientists, and even a previous embalmer (PinkSkates) who is exposed to formaldehyde on a daily basis explaining details to the contrary. Might want to research and read the whole threads on BKT on this site, and then do more research online to get the full info.:yep:

ajoyfuljoy

It's easy for news shows to get one expert to agree with their spin on a story. For every 30 doctors that are concerned about it, there are probably another 30 who aren't. I wouldn't judge BKT by what one doctor said.

You should probably do more research yourself.

Kurlee

I remember seeing this video. I was scared out of my mind too, until I found out that they have BKT's without formaldehyde. If I'm not mistaken, several of the ladies on here have used the ones without it.
Isn't there a formaldehyde free version now?

The formaldehyde "free" versions have derivatives of it, in it, with a different name. The results are gorgeous, but at this point, just like almost everything, only after a long period of time (years and possibly some major horror stories), will you truly learn whether it is safe or not. I would love to straighten my hair at will and have it be a little more manageable, but all the hoopla and potential risks scare me too much. Waiting and seeing:look:. In the meantime, protective styling and the occasional wash and go or blow out, will have to do.

cherryhair123

I think it's good to keep raising this warning since there is so much positive feedback it's responsible to make sure that everyone knows about a valid concern as well