Black French flight attendant forced to wear wig

Embyra

MALE Black French flight attendant forced to wear WIG over locks....

A Black French flight attendant of Air France is not allowed to wear dreadlocks during his service. The Frenchman of Ivorian origin is now forced to wear his dreads under a wig. But the dress code only applies to men, black women are allowed to wear their hair in dreadslocks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

According to the petition “Hair France, don’t touch our roots” , Aboubakar Traoré was hired as a flight attendant by the Air France in 1999. But he had no idea that such a hairstyle could “harm” the image of the company, considering that not a single of Air France regulations prohibits male flight attendants from wearing dreadlocks. Nevertheless, his managers at Air France went as far as forcing him to wear a wig to hide his hairstyle.

However, Air France’s regulations explicitly allow the wearing of dreadlocks by women, recognizing as such that the hairdo can have strong associations to an individual’s identity.

On May 5th demonstrators protested outside the office of Air France in Paris to protest against the airline’s refusal to change to change rule. They want the company to genuinely consider the ethnic diversity of its personnel, as well of the evolving society, within its regulations. And that the company halt all disciplinary measures being imposed against the flight attendant.

Here’s the story, for those of you who can speak French:

http://dai.ly/HfOyud

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/0...ight-attendant-forced-to-cover-locs-with-wig/

Last edited:

AltheaGarden

I read this article on BGLH. I can't tell if this is a race issue unless I read the company's policy on personal grooming. For example, are all men, regardless of race, prohibited from wearing long hair? What about facial hair? I find it strange that women can were dreads but not men. Also, why after 10+ years would they now have an issue with his dreads? I know they didn't appear overnight. Maybe the company finally cracked down on him because the dreads are too long?
Also, I find that wig to be offensive. He looks so dang silly with that mess on his head.

runwaydream

im sorry but...

BBritdenise

AltheaGarden said:
I read this article on BGLH. I can't tell if this is a race issue unless I read the company's policy on personal grooming. For example, are all men, regardless of race, prohibited from wearing long hair? What about facial hair? I find it strange that women can were dreads but not men. Also, why after 10+ years would they now have an issue with his dreads? I know they didn't appear overnight. Maybe the company finally cracked down on him because the dreads are too long?
Also, I find that wig to be offensive. He looks so dang silly with that mess on his head.

I agree, because if the rules prohibit all men from wearing long hair, then there is no racial issue here. There are a lot of things to be factored in

Pat Mahurr

Pun intended
Is it the locs or the length? It took him a while to grow his hair that long, and he's been working for that airline since 1999. Why is it only now a problem?

Mz.MoMo5235

I dont think its a race issue if they allow females to wear the style.

But with out looking at their employee handbook I dont know what style men are and rent allowed to wear.

Its like in the Army. Women were once allowed to wear dreads (that rule has since changed stating women can not but I have not been active duty for a while so it may have changed back saying they can) But men were never allowed to because mens dress codes specificly state other wise.

Duchesse

Omg when I first scrolled down it looked like mos def in a mommy wig..that policy and hairpiece is ridiculous.

Mz.MoMo5235

I think the wig is hot!!! They should make all their employees wear that exact wig!!! I would fly them every where if they did lmao

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Poor guy but at least he doesn't have to cut the locks off. He's locks look so much better than that wig though.

Southern Belle

That wig looks a MESS. I'm sorry but I would've quit that damn job as soon as I tried it on and seen myself in the mirror. Repeated public humilation is not part of my job description.

sckri23

He's been there since 1999? It was the length of the dreads that was the violation. At least they didn't force him to chop-chop!!!

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app