Black girls have no hair ?!?

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I have to disagree somewhat. How many of us have been asked how we have gotten such healthy hair and as soon as we respond, eyes glaze over or we are told that is too much work or we have been poo pooed on when providing the most basic of information? The information is available, people just have to want to find it and use it instead of wishing for a miracle in a bottle or jar.

Also, what is most of "our" money being spent on? It's weaves, extensions, relaxers, and salon visits. If complacency and lack of effort is not a main issue, why do so many women not wash their own hair or know how to wash their own hair? Until last year, I never realized how many black women do not wash their own hair! Also, why do so many women go to the salon weekly or every other week?

Complacency, acceptance of the status quo, the deep rooted belief that black hair does not grow, and the belief that our hair is so difficult that it requires a "professional" to care for it.

I have had people (black and white) ask me what salon I went to for my 2 strand twists, braid-outs, and twist-outs. Why is it so difficult to believe that I did my own hair? What is so difficult about my hair that I can't style it on my own? All those are really basic styles.

Even with me, the first 9 months of being natural I had a hair stylist or a friend do two-strand twist for me. I realized that not only was I wasting SOOO much money ($75 for two strand twist, can you believe it), but at times I was inconveniencing other people. I knew eventually I would have to teach myself how to two strand twist properly.
I know to most people, two-strand twist is so simple and easy; but for me, it has always been difficult to style my whole head especially since I wore box braids through most of my upbringing.

So I took the initiative to MAKE MYSELF LEARN to do two-strand twist. I have been doing so for the past two months. I mean, my twist sometimes look frizzy/not fresh, but I'm getting there. :yep:

So I think it does have to do with laziness at times.

DrC

Worth repeating a "couple" of times!!!

[/U][/B]

:wallbash:

Some of the ladies on here who take care of their hair will tell you.
I've read many of stories from another thread on here of LHCF women being approached and questioned about their regimen by strangers, relatives etc.

And the minute they explain or show them their proper techniques the second party is always responding with " Oh girl I can't do that to my hair" or "I have no time for it" Lol.

I bet they are the same ones who would jump quick to their feet when they hear about "FAST GROWING HAIR" miracle treatment, oil, shampoo, etc. lol.......
Helle, It could be an infommercial/Thread claiming something outlandishhh---like---uh---: "Wild Hair Grow Monkey Sweat Scalp Treatment will grow your Hair out 13 inches by September, and is great for the skin!"I bet they would be buying it up lol

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Freespirit02

I wish more black women knew...or cared enough to say "hey, instead of slapping somebody's elses hair over this to cover up the problem I'm going to to resolve it and do better."

I think the perception is all this hair 'care' stuff is too much work. Esp when you can have a 'fly' style in just a few hours.

Honestly caring for my hair now is simpler and easier than it has ever been in my entire life. It's healthier too. Eventually more will start to come around. :yep:

Honey child, baby doll...I LOVE YOUR HAIR...off to stalk your fotki!

Misseyl

I see black women with hair all the time, is it healthy is another question but we do have hair.

We don't have long hair because most of us haven't learned how to take care of our hair with the products or hair implements that we have been given. Do you think we would relax if we could find another way to style, maintain and get our hair manageable? Nope, so your friend is just blowing dust because I’ve seen non-black people with long damaged hair.