Black Hair care products

buffalosoldier

Am I the only person on here who doesnt really use them???
I read posts about 'moisturising your hair' and I find that most black hair products arent moisturising at all infact they make my hair look and feel bloody worse.
I went to buy some profective healthy ends and just couldnt do it. I just cant see how that would moisturise your hair cos it just looks like white gunk to me and is full of chemicals. So instead I ended up paying $16 for a natural hair butter. (very expensive but it did work)
The ONLY thing that moisturisers my hair is plain old water and good conditioners full of the right ingredients (oils glycerin,protein, aloe etc etc).

What do others think?

(Of course I couldnt live without my Scurl texturiser )

MsKibibi

I agree, my hair thrived when my mom used non 'black' hair products. She used paul mitchell, nexxus, l'oreal natures therapy, thermasilk, pantene and the like. When I used stuff like Motions, I was very dissapointed. So I'm using Loreal Natures Therapy when I take my braids out

cutebajangirl

I actually think most people on here don't use black hair moisturizers. Like you they use butters or rely on conditioners to do the work for them. I've never had success with a grease/hair dressing.

CutiePie0Five

I agree...I find that a lot of black hair products which are supposed to promote healthy hair, in fact do the opposite. Many of them contain petrolatum and mineral oil, and I basically just gave up on them. I tried Motions for a while, and that made my hair dry, and when Pink Oil came out, I used that too, but that just weighed down my hair...So, I guess the only black products I currently use are Razac Hair OIl (once in a while), Surge (is that a black hair product?), WGO, and Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil. I've come to he decision that there are onyl a few that actuall work.

CutiePie0Five

lol wow at the end of my post, I look like I can't spell...excuse the typos!

carameldiva

Well i use sally's generic aussie mega shampoo and sally's generic infusium 23 leave-in and their generic paul mitchell sculpting lotion and my hair loves all of them but i also use black n sassy carribean leave-in(on my dry hair)and queen helene's cholesterol.

TigerLily

I'm with you, buffalosoldier. The only black product that I use is Elasta QP mango butter or some of the ORS products. Other than that, I use non-black or natural products.

greAtness333

I don't know? I kinda like using black hair care products. I use products that exclude petroleum and mineral oil except for Doo Gro Medicated for my edges- which is also the only grease I have.

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:
I don't know? I kinda like using black hair care products. I use products that exclude petroleum and mineral oil except for Doo Gro Medicated for my edges- which is also the only grease I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to use them to cos they are generally very cheap but I just cant find a use for most of them

I really love looking at the big tubs of grease but I have no use for it so I never buy it ...
Petroleum and mineral oil dont phase me at all cos they are in a lot of expensive products that work well.

LABETT

The only black hair care products I have is ORS hair mayo and Profectiv products which I have not been using much latley.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:
[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to use them to cos they are generally very cheap but I just cant find a use for most of them

I really love looking at the big tubs of grease but I have no use for it so I never buy it ...
Petroleum and mineral oil dont phase me at all cos they are in a lot of expensive products that work well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Doo Gro is my only exception as far as greases go. That only goes on my nape and edges. Other than that I mean ORS Mayo, Lutrasilk Cholesterol, WGO and others. I try to use moisturizers sparingly so my hair isn't weighed down or greasy. That's the only probably with black products. One the same side my hair is naturally dry PLUS relaxed so I need some type of moisture. I didn't get a chance to look, are you natural? Maybe that's why you probably have an easier time not using black products.

Tene

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
The only black hair care products I have is ORS hair mayo and Profectiv products which I have not been using much latley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:
I don't use white products on my hair. Just black products and oils and butters.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you make your own butters? have you tried the ones from nature with love? if so any luck? the shealoe sounds really nice.
The hair butter I bought for $16 was sooooo nice but it only lasted 3 weeks and I was only using it for the ends. I need something a bit more economical

LEOLADYSW

I am a mixing freak. I mix shea butter with jojoba oil, coconut oil, aloe vera and Mizani H2o intensive treatment cream. All of these ingredients lightened it up. Therefore, by the time I finished mixing, one lb of shea butter is 2 1/2 lbs of mixed moisturizer.

CocoaButterflyy

most of the products I used arent catered to black hair... the only ones that I use is black and sassy and I mix that with doo gro anti itch growth oil to do my wash and go's

Britt

I prefer "white" products on my hair. I've tried tons of black products and I truly prefer the white drugstore products. The only "black" products that I like for my hair are ORS UPlifting poo and ORS hair mayo. I have been using both on and off for about 5 years. I have recently gone back to it. Right now, I am loving Garnier poo for color treated/permed hair and the matching conditioner.

VelvetRain

Well I guess it depends on the ingredients of the product. That is why I read labels constatnly. I have used both ethinc and non ethnic products. For instance I use motions shampoo with good resutls and their conditioner, but I also like joico, nexxuss and paul mitchell products. I tried P R&N products but they were horrible.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
michelle3147 said:
Well I guess it depends on the ingredients of the product. That is why I read labels constatnly. I have used both ethinc and non ethnic products. For instance I use motions shampoo with good resutls and their conditioner, but I also like joico, nexxuss and paul mitchell products. I tried P R&N products but they were horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, I hated Pantene R&N line. I also hate all oils for my hair/scalp, I don't use heavy creme hairdressings either.

so1913

While some of the "drugstore" "black" products may not be of high quality, I think more of the professional lines like KeraCare, Mizani, and Design Essentials work well on textured hair...

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
I prefer "white" products on my hair. I've tried tons of black products and I truly prefer the white drugstore products. The only "black" products that I like for my hair are ORS UPlifting poo and ORS hair mayo. I have been using both on and off for about 5 years. I have recently gone back to it. Right now, I am loving Garnier poo for color treated/permed hair and the matching conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Britt: Not to single you out but Garnier Frutis has a black girl in their commercial?

(This is not regarded to you.) Also not to get technical but you don't have to use a whole line of ethnic products to "use" black products. If you use one or two products, you're still using black products.

candibaby

black salon products are great.. black drugstore products are not.. the only "drug store" products i use are profectiv healthy ends, ORS carrot oil, blue magic coconut oil, sta sof fro, and b&b oil it up.

ubavka123

As with all products, there are some lines that are better than others whether the target market is black or white. For example, I HATE both Pantene lines, the one for whites and the one for blacks. But I have had good experiences with the professional lines for both blacks and whites. I love Keracare products. I love Kenra, Alfa Parf, etc. Basically, anything that has quality ingredients and targets dry/damaged/chemically treated hair is something that will attract my attention. Generally, I don't find that in the local CVS or Rite-Aid. I agree with whoever said that black products in the drugstore aren't that great, but IMO neither are the white ones. I will give it a try if it is professional, that is the first qualification that matters to me. From there, it is just a matter of how it works with my hair.

Sridevi

I often wonder if products for "black" hair are truly tested extensively on black hair or do they just put some petroleum in it, slap a label on it and market it to us?

Does any one know which, if any of the haircare lines are black-owned? Not that it matters to me but I have always been curious about this.

MissB

Design Essentials and Dudley's are black owned. Keracare is owned by Avlon which is not black owned. Mizani, Dark and Lovely, Let's Jam, Optimum and Beautiful Beginnings are owned by Soft Sheen-Carson which is now a subsidiary of L'Oreal.

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:
While some of the "drugstore" "black" products may not be of high quality, I think more of the professional lines like KeraCare, Mizani, and Design Essentials work well on textured hair...

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair I havent tried the professional black products and they probably work very well. I dont like drugstore products regardless who of they are catered for. But you get what u pay for...

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
Sridevi said:
I often wonder if products for "black" hair are truly tested extensively on black hair or do they just put some petroleum in it, slap a label on it and market it to us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha that was so funny !!!

For years I used to use all that stuff and only because I thought it was the right thing to do. To me things like pink oil lotion are more like styling products then moisturisers.

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:
I am a mixing freak. I mix shea butter with jojoba oil, coconut oil, aloe vera and Mizani H2o intensive treatment cream. All of these ingredients lightened it up. Therefore, by the time I finished mixing, one lb of shea butter is 2 1/2 lbs of mixed moisturizer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds nice Im just too lazy I want it already mixed!! I will order some though when I get around to it.

Country gal

I like Barry Flecther products. His oil and memory mist is good.I am just now getting into his shampoo line. However I usually like Eluecne shampoos.

jasmin

[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The only black products that really work for my hair are professional ones like Keracare and Design Essentials. The only non professional line I use is the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line and the ORS line but that could be for anyone. Elasta and Motions are consider professional but they are cheap and mostly nice.