Black Men and their hair

CurliDiva

I curious ……. how does you hair care routine and styling (Vitamins, conditioner Wash, MTG, Surge, Baggie, etc.) COMPARE to the black men (Father, Brother, Friends, Cousins, Boyfriends, Hubbies, etc.) in your life?

I see tons of black men with healthy, great looking hair. And the young fellow with the long natural cornrows (not extensions) and blowouts -hair looks FABULOUS!

I have the feeling that these young black men are not sitting around popping vitamins, with a baggie on their ends, or waiting for their MTG shipment (like I am :perplexed ) but getting great results in term of a healthy scalp, hair and growth.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Good ?, maybe because they use less manipulation there is less stress on the hair helping them retain length. Notice they shampoo and sometimes cond. then it gets braided up and they don't touch it, most of them probably need a bad clipping but who would know since it's always braided. Nevertheless, for us women we like to keep out hair looking "PERFECT" so we normally and I'm not saying all of us but the women I know out there do their hair more often, changing the style that causes for more manipulation. I notice on LHCF that most pple with the hair I long for don't do much to it as far as stlyling the hair, they have a good routine and normal do rollerset, buns, twist out, etc things that don't cause you to be using to much manipulation. I sure would like to know their secrete.:grin:

Porsche19

When my brother 4a/b grows his hair out he does conditioner washes daily with cheapie conditioners and uses wgo... he LOVES wgo.

If he doesn't have the oil, he'll use grease.

He likes those liquid, soft hold gels too.

angellazette

Hmmmm...my dad...you know what? I never see him washing his hair!! I don't know what's up with that, not that he has hair down his back...but I just thought about that, hmmm.

My boyfriend...shampoos his hair everyday while he showers. He doesn't use any conditioner. Then he applies some grease...and that's it. He keeps his hair clean cut, but it does grows fast.

Last edited:

Porsche19

off topic (sorry!) but...

I saw a man the other day with butt length, healthy, curly, thick, dirty blonde hair. It was sooooo pretty and not frayed or split at the ends. He really must take care of it. I fell in love (the whole package was nice, but the hair put him over the top) :love: :blondboob

I do adore a man with long, healthy hair.

Cinnabuns

pink_flower said:
All the black men in my life keep it clean cut but their routine is pretty simplistic.

Same here. My fiance uses giovanni, the tea-tree kind, once a month to shampoo his hair and that's it. He gets it cut everytime I blink my eyes it seems like. :lol:

Cheleigh

Hmmmm...let's see...

Most of the long haired guys I know (3c, 4a, 4b) don't:
-Use heat (if they do, it's a super quick blow dry every now and again)
-Never had a relaxer or texurizer
-Never had a press
-Do low manipulation hair styles (either put it in a simple pony, cornrows, locs or put it in an unstructured 'fro and don't compulsively comb it). Everytime I see them, it's one of these styles.

Some use some grease or old fashioned pomade, I've noticed. Most of them I've asked wash hair once weekly (with or without conditioner).

TrulyBlessed

I agree that it is due to the low manipulation and protective styling. But I do wonder how guys can wear cornrows 24/7 everyday of the year and not have thin or receding edges, but us ladies are advised not to do it often. I always read not to wear cornrows too often, but Omarion and R. Kelly have been wearing the same consistent cornrows for the past 5 or more years with perfect edges :confused: .

Carisa

Bumping......(because im bored) Anywayz most guys i've known just wash thier hair with shampoo, grease it and either braid it or keep a low cut a. There is barely any manipulation involved

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

What they do different from the avg black woman is they KISS to the utmost and protective style 100% of the time. I knew this brotha in my statistics class and his natural hair was breathtaking. I asked him what he did and he said, I put olive oil in it, and I have a girl blow it out with the yellowbird and braid it every week and a half. Doesn't get much simpler then that.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

dyh080

Grease is like gold for me.
I've been getting inspired by looking at re-runs of shows from the '70s....back when all we used was shampoo and grease and had thick afros ( not blow outs) and long term protective styling.

davisbr88

I agree that it is due to the low manipulation and protective styling. But I do wonder how guys can wear cornrows 24/7 everyday of the year and not have thin or receding edges, but us ladies are advised not to do it often. I always read not to wear cornrows too often, but Omarion and R. Kelly have been wearing the same consistent cornrows for the past 5 or more years with perfect edges :confused: .

If I remember correctly, Omarion had a shape-up in the front, so it looks like he kept his hair on the edges short, so they were never braided. I've never paid attention to R. Kelly's edges because I was never all up in his face like I was with Omarion... lol.
Let me go see if I can find a picture.

Here are some pics.

And there were a few times that his edges were cornrowed:

But I think the majority of the time he was shaped up and never braided them.
If I was a guy, I would probably do the same. I have seen some guys who always cornrow their hair consistently with balding edges. Not many, but I already have a weak hairline so I wouldn't risk it.
I think we, as women, may be more inclined to have ours braided too tightly as well because we may have extensions added, which seem to put too much tension, and because we may want ours to last longer and probably go to professionals more, who seem to braid tighter.
The guys I knew with long cornrows would get theirs done weekly by a girl around the way who wasn't a pro and couldn't grip every tiny, wispy hair to put them in.
Men in my family keep their hair short so I wouldn't know their growth potential. I'm in a military family so as soon as that hair even tries to see the light of day, it's off to the barber for a clean cut!

Last edited:

ActionActress

Hmmmm...let's see...

Most of the long haired guys I know (3c, 4a, 4b) don't:
-Use heat (if they do, it's a super quick blow dry every now and again)
-Never had a relaxer or texurizer
-Never had a press
-Do low manipulation hair styles (either put it in a simple pony, cornrows, locs or put it in an unstructured 'fro and don't compulsively comb it). Everytime I see them, it's one of these styles.

Some use some grease or old fashioned pomade, I've noticed. Most of them I've asked wash hair once weekly (with or without conditioner).

Quite different than some BW who say they wash their hair...every month to two months. lol. AA

ActionActress

Hmmmm...my dad...you know what? I never see him washing his hair!! I don't know what's up with that, not that he has hair down his back...but I just thought about that, hmmm.

My boyfriend...shampoos his hair everyday while he showers. He doesn't use any conditioner. Then he applies some grease...and that's it. He keeps his hair clean cut, but it does grows fast.

Neither have I seen mine....he is in the shower when he does it...:grin:

AA

MsSanz92

Testosterone also helps with hair growth, which is why men have facial/more body hair than women. Most BM can grow and retain length better than BW because like what other people mentioned, they don't manipulate their hair as much or use harsh chemicals like dyes or relaxers. That in combination with the hair boost testosterone gives I've seen plenty of BM with hair I would envy over like this guy I know who had the BIGGEST puff ever it was so lush and thick! Too bad he cut it off I was seriously considering using his hair for some tracks LOL

Prudent1

I think in addition to the things that have already been stated the average man does not put as many products containing drugs on them or in them (ie BC, beauty prods, Rx meds, etc.). There are bound to be side effects.

afrofaithful

But they usually get their edges lined up, even with cornrows (at least from what I've seen).

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
most of the dudes i know with long hair get it braided once or twice a month and never wash.

nikolite

Testosterone also helps with hair growth, which is why men have facial/more body hair than women. Most BM can grow and retain length better than BW because like what other people mentioned, they don't manipulate their hair as much or use harsh chemicals like dyes or relaxers. That in combination with the hair boost testosterone gives I've seen plenty of BM with hair I would envy over like this guy I know who had the BIGGEST puff ever it was so lush and thick! Too bad he cut it off I was seriously considering using his hair for some tracks LOL

Testosterone only gives men more body hair, NOT scalp hair. Testosterone is also what gives men hairy backs and faces but balding and thinning scalp hair at the same time as they grow older. Estrogen is what makes women have longer growth cycles for their scalp hair, and therefore longer hair.

Men actually don't have the growth potential that women do, but they only seem like their hair grows faster/longer because they simply wear protective styles way more and KISS. And its really only black women we might see with shorter hair than some black men, because we do so much to our hair for it to look the way we want. Too much. In other groups, women always have longer hair on average them the men.