Black People Have That ROUGH hair!!!!

Tinkerbell19

Hey lhc ladies,

You all wont believe what a coworker said to me today!!:blush:
Ok this morning I said " Wow I wonder how her hair would look stretched out because I bet its real long:grin: ( I was talking about one of my students that is biracial and her mom always puts her in cute little curly ponytails). She says "Yeah its probably long because she has NORMAL hair". So of course I say ":spinning: Um what do you mean by normal hair". She says "Well you know like GOOD hair because most blacks have that textured hair". Me still being confused I say "Oh so you just mean that the other students hair is thicker??". This idiot says "No because black people have that ROUGH hair!!":perplexed I then say "Hold on now, are you trying to say that black hair is ABNORMAL and her hair is NOT rough it is just a different grade and its thicker. Then I proceeded to explain to her that she was wrong and offensive and that she is lucky that I explained it to her. I also told her to NEVER make that comment again because she may really get hurt if she says it to the wrong person:nono:. I also told her that all hair is good hair and that HEALTHY hair is the best. I then informed her that it is about preferences for the way that people like their hair and that some people may not like curly hair because they may feel as though it may not hold curls or look as full as someone with thick hair and vice versa but bottom line is to never make rude or insulting comments like that because it really shows true IGNORANCE!! So what do you guys think??:ohwell:

Lucky's Mom

:nono: this is normal for folks to say... "normal" refers to all sorts of whiteness and eurocentricity.....

And - it goes back 500 years. Anything outside of the 'norm' is rough, bad, black, ethnic, not 'normal'.

****SIGH*****

BlackMasterPiece

I think she was hoping you were one of those okie doke black folk that would have giggled right along with her and felt superior because of it.

Thankfully she chose the wrong one. I'm glad you checked her, cuz she woulda got wrecked had it been the next person.

Thats so ridiculous that she'd say that to you.....wild.

Last edited:

LushLox

Yeah it's ignorance at it's finest, but can you blame her though when a good proportion of black people think the same way, smh :nono:

LunadeMiel

Well my hair is abnormal. When I think about all of the "normal" hair that is walking about (I know hair can't walk :lol:), I don't want any part of it. If normal = Euro hair then they can keep it :rolleyes:

Tinkerbell19

I think she was hoping you were one of those okie doke black folk that would have giggled right along with her.

Thankfully she chose the wrong one. I'm glad you checked her, cuz she woulda got wrecked had it been the next person.

WOW! I didnt even think of it that way but you are right! Since my hair is curly she probably thought that I think I have NORMAL hair and that we could joke about it together hmmmmm NOT!! :nono:

mscocoface

You handled it well. I think many including some on this site would have handled this waayyyy different.

Tinkerbell19

Yeah it's ignorance at it's finest, but can you blame her though when a good proportion of black people think the same way, smh :nono:

she is Mexican so that it was made me offended because she was trying to talk about black hair to me and I am black! boy she is such a dummy!!:wallbash:

Lucky's Mom

that is sooooooo sad :nono:

Yes, it is sad - but s long as you understand from where these sick ideas come from, you can be better prepared to answer back with good and important info that your IDIOT co-coworker has no understanding of.

:yep: Drop the knowledge - they won't say anything else.

Lucky's Mom

she is Mexican so that it was made me offended because she was trying to talk about black hair to me and I am black! boy she is such a dummy!!:wallbash:

She is colonized. And she is eurocentric in her own thinking..... She would be PISSSED if you said that to her!!!! LOL:lachen:

Tinkerbell19

Well my hair is abnormal. When I think about all of the "normal" hair that is walking about (I know hair can't walk :lol:), I don't want any part of it. If normal = Euro hair then they can keep it :rolleyes:

lol :lachen:
well the funny thing is her hair is super thin and looks thinner every month so if anything she needs to be worrying about her hair loss instead of trying to call someone's hair ROUGH!!

darlingdiva

:boxing:This was my initial when I saw the title of this thread, and you're right; she'd better be mighty careful who she spews her ignorance around because might end up getting hurt!

When you mentioned that she said the little girl has "normal" hair, it made me think of hair products that say the same thing. What is "normal" hair, anyway?

Everything about us, including our hair, was made by God and HE doesn't make mistakes. Therefore, "abnormal" hair doesn't exist.

Tinkerbell19

Yes, it is sad - but s long as you understand from where these sick ideas come from, you can be better prepared to answer back with good and important info that your IDIOT co-coworker has no understanding of.

:yep: Drop the knowledge - they won't say anything else.
lol true because once I started explaining her goofy smiled dropped and instead she looked like a deer caught in the head lights!!

Tinkerbell19

:boxing:This was my initial when I saw the title of this thread, and you're right; she'd better be mighty careful who she spews her ignorance around because might end up getting hurt!

When you mentioned that she said the little girl has "normal" hair, it made me think of hair products that say the same thing. What is "normal" hair, anyway?

Everything about us, including our hair, was made by God and HE doesn't make mistakes. Therefore, "abnormal" hair doesn't exist.

uh oh lol and girl yes i think the same thing "normal" ugh that shouldn't even be used by anyone to describe hair!!

teacherjess

What worries me is that I heard you say one of your "students" which leads me to believe that this ignorant woman is working in an environment in which she gets to educate children.....SMDH:nono:

Ignorant, racist folks should not be allowed to educate others children.

sharifeh

When I was younger, my irish italian neighbor referred to her hair as normal hair in regards to my hair. I still remember that.
She was like, "see? my hair is normal, my hair is perfect."

I felt really bad about it :( but I didn't say anything because I didn't really understand anything about hair back then. We were really young like 5 or something, so I don't really fault her for it either.

My Friend

She is colonized. And she is eurocentric in her own thinking..... She would be PISSSED if you said that to her!!!! LOL:lachen:

I attended school with a girl who was hispanic and she seemed to hate that fact. She would refer to other hispanic girls as "Sharpies" bc they cut their brows off and draw them on.:perplexed She would also bring up the fact that her skin was not as dark as other hispanics. She was a prime example of self hate.

Tinkerbell19

What worries me is that I heard you say one of your "students" which leads me to believe that this ignorant woman is working in an environment in which she gets to educate children.....SMDH:nono:

Ignorant, racist folks should not be allowed to educate others children.
EXACTLY and that is why I made it clear to her so hopefully she wont do that anymore. You never know if a parent is walking in to the room when your back is turned. I am also a parent myself and I know that I would want to go Bruce Lee on someone if I heard that!! :swordfigh

ThickHair

Me thinks she has heard a few black people refer to their hair as such. I am glad you checked her before she had a run in with a "you know who".

I had a teaching experience back in the day. Family reunion and one of my cousins was dating a white girl, we were all about 19\20 and the kids were playing and goofing off on the tree. Yes, she said it, oh they are playing like little monkey's. I inhaled and exhaled and I pulled her to the side and I informed her to never EVER say that again and I explained WHY. She turned red and started to cry, I told her not to cry, calm down everything was going to be alright and just don't say that again. She thanked me over and over again and told her after she calmed down that I was the only one who heard her and we will act like it never happed. She got it, and she was a cool white girl and we had fun for the rest of the family reunion. Cuz ended up marrying her and now they have kids.

So I kind of guage people, to see if they are saying stuff to get a rise out of me or if they are truly ignorant in the truest since of the word and I have no problem educating the ignorant.

Last edited:

Tinkerbell19

When I was younger, my irish italian neighbor referred to her hair as normal hair in regards to my hair. I still remember that.
She was like, "see? my hair is normal, my hair is perfect."

I felt really bad about it :( but I didn't say anything because I didn't really understand anything about hair back then. We were really young like 5 or something, so I don't really fault her for it either.

perfect huh there is no such thing :spinning:

Tinkerbell19

Me thinks she has heard a few black people refer to their hair as such. I am glad you checked her before she had a run in with a "you know who".

I had a teaching experience back in the day. Family reunion and one of my cousins was dating a white girl, we were all about 19\20 and the kids were playing and goofing off on the tree. Yes, she said it, oh they are playing like little monkey's. I inhaled and exhaled and I pulled her to the side and I informed her to never EVER say that again and I explained WHY. She turned red and started to cry, I told her not to cry, calm down everything was going to be alright and just don't say that again. She thanked me over and over again and told her after she calmed down that I was the only one who heard her and we will act like it never happed. She got it, and she was a cool white girl and we had fun for the rest of the family reunion. Cuz ended up marrying her and now they have kids.

So I kind of guage people, to see if they are saying stuff to get a rise out of me or if they are truly ignorant in the truest since of the word and I have no problem educating folks.

ooh she better be glad that you told her before the family heard!! wowzers

Leeda.the.Paladin

So I kind of guage people, to see if they are saying stuff to get a rise out of me or if they are truly ignorant in the truest since of the word and I have no problem educating the ignorant.

This is probably the case. I have walked in on several "lessons" from black people to white people about "good" hair and other such nonsense.

I had to tell one of them who was receiving this hair education that she'd best take everything she hears with a grain of salt and not repeat it back.

Lucky's Mom

I attended school with a girl who was hispanic and she seemed to hate that fact. She would refer to other hispanic girls as "Sharpies" bc they cut their brows off and draw them on.:perplexed She would also bring up the fact that her skin was not as dark as other hispanics. She was a prime example of self hate.

The saddest commentary on this is that..... if she were in a room of dominators.... she would be a savage, and they would be waiting for here to strip.... walk around naked and have many babies. People like that just dont get it.