Is our hair that different. (Hair salon discrimination spin off)

Should stylists charge more if more time and expensive products are used?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 55.2%
  • No.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 15 12.0%

• Total voters

_belle

I feel that our hair isn't that different. . . when it is actually healthy. BUT I do feel that because of the varieties that our hair comes in, there is no way a salon is going to have exactly the right products for my hair, her hair, and the next black chick's hair. . . so I agree with them charging more to straighten our hair. . . but its probably because our hair isn't necessarily as healthy as the next chick's hair so u would have to take a little more precaution when just throwin heat on it or combing it. plus like everyone said, it may take our hair a little longer to "do" and to dry. . . but that still doesn't convince me

silvergirl

my moms salon charges for time, in addition for service, so unfortunatly longer hair or black hair in general will cost a little more..

divya

People will find all kinds of ways to make more money...that's really what it comes down to.

HappyHairDreams

I do think "our" hair can be very different from the average non-Black head of hair depending on the hair types you're talking about...that's why we have hair types in the first place because they ARE different and require differ types of care.

Hair salons are businesses; if a business has to spend more time (detangling, combing, etc), more electricity (drying, styling, etc) and high quality product on 4b, 4a, 3c, etc types hair, then ofcourse it makes sense that that cost is carried over to the customer.

What salons need to emphasize (and some do) is that they are not providing flat rate services and that costs will vary depening on your hair.

And because I do think it's fair that they charge depending on the needs of the hair, I know my hair is a needy attention hog, so I do my hair my self to make sure it gets the quality care it needs instead of the limited attention a stylist may give.

dany06

I feel if they have a price list with a set price, not the $??.?? and up, then charge me what you have put out there. I think it is unfair when you advertise a set price and change it because a stylist thinks it more work or takes more products. I went to ULTA about a month ago to get my hair done. I was done in under an hour. All they had to do was wash and flatiron. It cost me about $20 with a first salon visit coupon and it came out better than at alot of other places. It was not a black salon and it wasnt a black stylist. I find that when I go to a predominately white salon and they send me over to the black stylist that's when those prices start to go up. If the white stylist actually does it herself then its the regular price. Now I've been to a few who want to change there prices when they see my hair but I refuse to use their services. If you dont give into it then they can enforce it. It just that simple.

carib_n_curly

i can understand you need to use more product for 'our' hair but from $12 to $25 is taking the p*ss if it was $5 more understandable but TWICE AS MUCH:nono::nono: no way!!!!!!!
I'M SORRY but even if you have WL natural hair i don't think you will need to get charged $13 EXTRA of product.

MonPetite

I posted this in the other thread and feel the same way about the topic raised by the OP in this one:

Yes and No.

Obviously thicker/longer hair takes more product and time. However, to correct for 4a/b-Hair-Freak-Out there needs to be a set scale in place based on length or time.

To see MBL 2a hair and charge less than MBL 4abcdefghi hair because the stylist does not know how to treat it and has prejuices subconscious or otherwise against it (it'll take to long, it's too thick, its coarse) is NOT FAIR. :nono:

It is penalizing people with a "Certain" hairtype...say...afro-textured. :ohwell:

I should NOT have to pay more for, essentially, being Black. :blush:

Sorry.

Not going to happen.

Expand your expertise...I just need a wider comb and more conditioner not semi-divine inervention! :wallbash:

I respect people need to make money.

I truly do.

HOWEVER, you need a fair scale for all.

Besides, many ladies with thick, long hair are VERY loyal to stylists who treat their hair and their wallet with care.

I think any of us stylist or otherwise know how important LOYAL customers are to keep your book full for months to come!! :yep: