"Black"styling aids vs. "white" styling aids

melodee

\"Black\"styling aids vs. \"white\" styling aids

Do any of you use any of the salon pomades or texturizing balms from Biolage, P Mitchell, etc.? Do you think they are better or worse for type 4 hair than the products specifically geared toward blacks like Let's Jam and Murrays's. I just purchased the paul Mitchell Wax Woks b/c I liked the consistencey in the tube. But is it better than Let's Jam.

myco

Re: \"Black\"styling aids vs. \"white\" styling aids

I have the Paul Mitchell Foaming pomade. I like the fact that it is truly light - almost too light. It really smoothes flyaways with no weight. It also makes a good setting lotion if you don't want a lot of hold. Most of the styling products marketed as "black" make my hair limp and stringy/greasy looking or hard and dry, so I tend to avoid those - even the ones that say "light". Plus they always have that artificial/chemical fruit smell that drives me crazy.

Lindy

Myco,
Can the Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade be used as a daily moisturizer?? I've been tempted to try this stuff for a while now. Except that I've just ordered the Cathy Howse oil moisturizer, so I guess I don't need it now!!

myco

I personally wouldn't consider it a primary daily moisturizer. It's more of a finishing smoother/light shine product than anything else. I use it before or after I rollerset and wrap. It has a lighter and thinner consistency than something like IC Polish.

ms_kenesha

I have the Paul Mitchell pomade and the gloss drops and I'm in love with both products. I don't use a lot of finishing products, but I do not like heavy ones and the ones marketed towards us are usually really heavy and filled with petrolatum and mineral oil

Naturalistic

I really like PM products 'cause they're not marketed toward a certain race...it's just hair stuff, period, for whoever can use it. I've used PM stuff for years, including the foaming pomade, super clean gel, tea tree shampoo, sculpting foam, etc. I could never figure out how to use the pomade as a daily moisturizer; I use it for a finishing product, after my hair is dry, if I'm wearing my hair loose (not often, so this bottle will last me at least a year).

mirrormirror

I love Paul Mitchell sculpting foam, it is the best styling aide. On the bottle it says that is for all hair types. And I know may Black girls with type 3 hair to type 4b hair that got great results.

Allandra

My stylist uses Paul Mitchell sculpting foam to roller set my hair. It always gives great results.

northernbelle

I think that, like most things, it depends on what performs best on your hair.

Me? I used to use Paul Mitchell, Nexxus, and Aveda. At the moment, I am using Kenra, along with Joico K-Pak, Aubrey Organics GPB, and Hairobics, which is a Black hair care line. I also keep a jair of Ultra Sheen around, just in case.

I find that, by and large, salon products designed for the mainstream population perform best on my hair.

northernbelle

cutebajangirl

Whatever floats your boat. If it works use it, in high school a lot of the white chicks used and LOVED Murray's and the light Always hair grease for smoothing down fly aways. They had cult followings at my school. LOL

Isis

I really question some of those hair products directed at blacks. IMO, a very small portion of these products are really good and are priced just right. A lot of it is junk with a lot of hype and false promises.

I think hair products from companies like Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Nexxus, etc. have a reputation to keep up and a lot at stake so I think they consistently put out quality products geared for all hair, including for blacks.
However, I think products geared specifically towards black women by those who really truly care, such as Cathy Howse, Carolyn Gray, etc. are also quality products for the same reasons. It's good business and everyone wins.

Pookie25

I like Paul Mitchell "the Detangler" and I like Nexxus products too.

MissB

I like Redken Water Wax to tame the fly aways and also use the Paul Mitchell foaming pomade as a daily moisturizer.