Black Stylist Betta Wake Up

I think this article could relate to businesses as well. I don't mind going to and supporting black businesses, but if you're going to get an attitude with me just b/c I ask you a question or anything to do with customer service, I WILL take my little behind to a different store or whatever that will treat me with respect. Sorry to get off topic, but this is truth and I am out.

[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
[ QUOTE ]
3. Don't tell I got "******-naps".

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you're joking.
shocked.gif
I cannot believe a beautician said this repulsive word.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is such a shame!
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ChocoKitty said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tebby1017 said:
Egyptian salons? I've never heard of those. What do they do differently? Where are they?

Tebby

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Chicago and Egyptian salons are hot! They can get anyones hair bone straight. The Egyptian salon I go does not bug you about getting your hair relaxed or charge you extra if it isn't. The service is usually fast too! One day my mother, sister and I all went to have our hair blow-dried and curled--we got in and out of the shop in two hours!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give the name and number? When I go visit my friend in Chicago I might have to give that a try. BTW, how much do they charge?

Tebby

Tebby1017:

My response is a bit lengthy but I visit
Max & Co Hair Design
(773) 288-1980
1453 E 51st St

It costs $35 for blow dry & curl
I sometimes pay the extra $10 for an deep conditioner under the steamer. I like going to Max for my trims and rinses.
Does the job for my budget!

I've visited
Ossama's Hair Design
(773) 643-5200
5100 S Cornell Ave

I can't remeber their pricing- but a deep conditioner under the steamer is included. They also try to charge extra if your hair is not chemically processed! But I've gotten away with not paying extra. They don't know the difference unless you tell 'em
wink.gif

Another one good is
Yehia & Co Hair Design Inc
(773) 667-1154
1455 E 53rd St

I think there's also one located west of Max & Co--just a couple of blocks away a corner. Max used to work for Yehia's before he started his own shop!.

Raad's Hair Designs
(773) 994-7223
635 E 79th St

I have a friend who visits Raad's regularly. I have not tried him for myself yet but I hear he's good. I think his prices are supposed to be resonable too.

Overall, I've stuck with Max & Co over the years.
The first 3 shops are within walking distance of each other in Hyde Park.

CHOCOKITTY!!! That man is FINE!!!

I just looked at your pictures, the big boy you're standing with-Boris, I think it said, was just too fine!
notworthy.gif

I think it's because there has been so much disinformation out there about black hair care designed (IMO) to keep us (not us on LHCF!) confused and spending more. If all black people in this country knew exactly how to take care of their own hair, there probably wouldn't be such a market.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I think it's because there has been so much disinformation out there about black hair care designed (IMO) to keep us (not us on LHCF!) confused and spending more. If all black people in this country knew exactly how to take care of their own hair, there probably wouldn't be such a market.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

I believe that stylists of color - Black, Latino - are, for the most part, not well-educated re: hair, proper hair care, and professionalism. I am sure that there are White stylists who fall into this camp as well, but, given that the proponderance of my experience has been with stylists of color, I believe that I am able to speak to this with more certainty.

I don't believe that the aforementioned is by design, or due to any type of conspiracy. Rather, I don't believe that stylists of color invest the time and resources into building and maintaining their craft.

northernbelle

Egyptians in Chicago NEED TO WAKE UP!

I used to be a frequent patron of the Egyptian salons in Chicago. Ive been to Ossama's both downtown and in Hyde Park. The girl who was SUPPOSED to be the absolute bomb at the Hyde park Ossama's had to stop to eat her pizza. Also I have found many of them to be quite rude at times. They do speak they're language now and again and you REALLY have no idea what they are saying about you. I had a male friend that recently quit working at Ossama's downtown and he told me on quite a few occasions that they would say how ugly a certain girl client was or that another girl had a nice boodie and this and that. they would talk about how a girls hair texture was too this or too that in their language.
I am not to impressed with their versatility either. They blow dry everybody. Id hate to see their electic or gas bill! Your stuff be fried dyed and laid to the side after 12 months of visiting them. Either way I say no more blow drying in these Egyptian salons. THESE EGYPTIANS NEED TO WAKE UP!!!

Wanda said:
Thanks for the article, I just printed it out to give to my hairdresser and braider. It's so funny that you brought this topic up because while getting my hair braided, I was so sick and tired of hearing the braiders complain about their clients, that I just blurted out that you guys will be sorry because as soon as the asians learn how to do this $hit, I will surely patronize because for 1, they will surely get you out in a timely manner. They all just looked at me like I was crazy but they did shut up.......

My hairdressser is Korean. She does it all. I'll never return to my former stylist.

Well, considering the success of many Koreans in the black hair product business, it wouldn't be surprising if they made great strides in black hair services next.

Even though I didn't read every single post, I was hoping that I would see a couple of posts that would discourage us from being only consumers and encourage us to be entrepreneurs and be more creative in how we meet our hair product needs.... and I say this as I surpress my PJism! LOL! Seriously though, many of us buy from people who don't respect neither our dollars nor our business (black stylists included)....

My last hairstylist (licensed and everything!) spoiled me so much, she was one part of the combination of reasons I started my transition/return to natural hair. She respected me... she loves me... she took care of me for four years... when I got laid off, she did my hair for free.... I love her for that... spoiled me off other hairstylists....

We gotta be smarter with our dollars... and stylists of all races, colors, creeds, etc., must respect my time and money, just as I respect their craft as a source of their livelihood.

My rant for the holiday weekend, unless somebody else says something....;)

Last edited:
I went thru and read every post:lol: And I agree that we have a problem. African Americans just don't seem to respect each other. Being black doesn't entitle another black person to our hair care dollars. I've made appointments and had TEN people ahead of me. I've declined cuts and had a stylist get rough and rake my shoulders while combing:mad:

There is a lot on money to be made in the black hair care business, but because of these problems my money is in my pockets:lachen:

I would probably still be at a black salon if it weren't that I just happened to stumble upon the one I am at now. It's Egyptian and I had no idea it was until I visited. I've experienced long hair wait times at one salon 13 years ago but since then, the black salons have been very time efficient. The only reason I left was because the shampoo girl was making me bald by wrapping my hair with a thin toothed comb. It was either me saving my hair and leaving or having 2 strands of hair on my head and suffering. I go to an egyptian salon now and they have black stylists working there as well as egyptians.

Back