Blog Talk Radio - Lisa Akbari

Artemis

Does anyone listen to her? :look:

I've known about her show because I listen to other shows on the site, but I just listened to two episodes today for the first time and her information is very refreshing. I already have read one of her books, but I'm about to purchase the other one.

Here's the link:
BlogTalkRadio - Lisa Akbari

These are the two episodes I've listened to:
Should I trim my ends?

Scalp Itch

Artemis

No prob :)

I found it quite interesting that she speaks about how stylists are trained to cut our hair and that we must be firm with them when we intend to grow it long, and that trims CAN be optional if you have split ends. "If you treat, you don't need to trim; but if you don't treat, you HAVE to trim".

Oh, and that mineral is not necessarily bad on the hair and scalp (it depends on the molecular weight or amount of it in the product), but that petroleum should be avoided...

Hope more people take the time to at least listen to her. She is a very well seasoned veteran in the hair care industry...

Lucky's Mom

"cutting hair makes hair Shorter."

Treat them or trim them....
Gold.... I have been saying this for years.....

gymfreak336

I just verified my Amazon order, which includes her new book. I get it next week, so I'll let you know how it is :yep:

I think I am going to go ahead and just get it. Either way, I know I really won't be disappointed. Plus I don't mind supporting people that actually try to preach some sense.

Artemis

:bump:

Ok, so I've listened to a few of these and she says that moisturizing shampoos and conditioning shampoos are a no-no because they mask the true nature of the hair's condition, and in some cases (like with conditioning shampoos) they make problems worse. She suggests a mild clarifying shampoo that has a pH of 4.5-5.5 that cleanses any buildup and pollutants away so that you can determine if you have dry hair or not (so that you can appropriately treat with the right deep conditioner) and to clear off the scalp to help heal low-level scalp damage.

Ok, that's fine...but every 3 days?! :eek:

Perhaps if the shampoo was sulfate free, but I know for a fact that Abba's shampoos are in the pH 6 range, so those are out. I also looked into Kenra's Clarifying shampoo, and L'anza...

Akbari says that at first the hair and scalp will exhibit some dryness, but consistent practice of this will correct the inherent dryness that most AA women have, as a result of our hair type. (Inherent dryness vs dryness as a result of chemical or mechanical damage.)

Any thoughts on this ladies?