Blowdryer that has....

yodie

...a cool setting, accepts a regular comb attachment from the BSS (very important), is ionic and/or tourmaline and is affordable.

Any suggestions?

I have a very old Conair blowdryer that has two heat settings and isn't ionic or tourmaline. It's very inexpensive and takes a comb attachment from the BSS. Love it, but I need to upgrade my hair care tools.

Thanks.

msa

Yodie I swear we must have read each others minds. I literally just bumped a thread asking this same exact question.

In that thread one of the posters mentioned a Walmart dryer that may work:
Walmart has a professional tourmaline/ionic HD with 3 temps including cool and three settings. It also has a cool shot button. They compare it to the CHI dryer (my sister has the CHI, but she likes mine better). The Walmart is about $50, the CHI is about $100+. Both the cool shot and cool setting are both "no heat" settings, and are very cold. I could never use these on wet hair because it is too cold for me to tolerate.

yodie

Yodie I swear we must have read each others minds. I literally just bumped a thread asking this same exact question.

In that thread one of the posters mentioned a Walmart dryer that may work:

We are definitely on the same page here. I saw that thread and it made me realize that I have to get a better blowdryer. My blowdryer is full of heat.

I'm gonna check out that blowdryer at Walmart. I hope it takes a comb attachment.

msa

We are definitely on the same page here. I saw that thread and it made me realize that I have to get a better blowdryer. My blowdryer is full of heat.

I'm gonna check out that blowdryer at Walmart. I hope it takes a comb attachment.

Definitely let me know about the blow dryer at Walmart. I'm against going to Walmart on principle...but I might make an exception (maybe). I looked at Target (on sepulveda) today and there weren't any with a comb attachment.

Next I need to check out www.folica.com.

yodie

Ha! I was just thinking about Walmart, but that one in Panorama City is yuck.
I was heading over to Folica before I read this. Gotta love research.

I'll let you know what I find.

msa

Yes but the high is HOT.

Good thing I won't be using that. I'm really just looking for a blow dryer that has a cool setting so I can dry my hair quicker than airdrying. I wanted to get something tourmaline/ionic but now I'm thinking that since I'm not going to use the heat anyway, it probably doesn't matter.

Lucky's Mom

Yodie.... I don't know if you can find Babylss's locally.

I bought that one first. Now I have an FHI. It is AWESOME.

ETA - Yodie - there is a BSS on Saticoy and Tampa that sells the comb attachment that DontSpeakDefeat discusses in her Youtube vid... for 10 bucks.....

Last edited:

yodie

I researched the FHI based on one of your posts. It had great reviews.

I have to create a budget for FHI (in the future). Their flat iron and blow dryer sound great.

I'll research Babyliss to see if they have a cold setting.

Thanks

Chromia

I have a Conair blowdryer that I bought at Wal-Mart last year. The Conair Ion Shine (model 178WS). It's ionic and tourmaline. It has cool, warm, and hot settings. It was under $20. I think it was $17.98.

I'm not sure if it would fit a comb attachment from the BSS, but it came with a comb attachment, a diffuser, and a concentrator.

I saw another Conair blowdryer just like this at Bed Bath & Beyond, except it was pink and the one I have is red.

cutenss

The Babyliss has a "cool shot button", with a high and low setting. It is ceramic. I was also thinking about getting another dryer with the tourmoline? ions after watching salon cabelo on YT. :yep:

yodie

I prefer tourmaline also.

Thanks for all the great feedback ladies. Tomorrow is hair day and I don't want to "fry" my hair anymore with my current blowdryer.

@LM-thanks for the info on where to buy comb attachment. I'll check that out.

yodie

I have a Conair blowdryer that I bought at Wal-Mart last year. The Conair Ion Shine (model 178WS). It's ionic and tourmaline. It has cool, warm, and hot settings. It was under $20. I think it was $17.98.

I'm not sure if it would fit a comb attachment from the BSS, but it came with a comb attachment, a diffuser, and a concentrator.

I saw another Conair blowdryer just like this at Bed Bath & Beyond, except it was pink and the one I have is red.

Picked this up from Walmart this morning. Seems to have everything that I want. Its Conair, my fave color (red), tourmaline, has a comb attachment, diffuse, cold setting, a cold shot and it was less than $20. So, I'll try it out and see.

Had no luck finding that $50 blowdryer that another poster mentioned or the satin rollers that I've been looking for.

Chromia

^^^Great! I'm glad it has all the features you want and you like the color too! :clapping:

I have satin-covered foam rollers from Walgreens. The Hype Hair rollers. They came in a pack of 12. I've seen them at some Walgreens and not others though. I bought them 4 or 5 years ago - I think they were $6. Or you can get a larger pack of them for $16.

longhairlover

the cheapest and a blowdryer that comes with a pic attachment would be the silverbird by conair it is ceramic/tourmaline. has different settings.

other than that a cheap dryer ceramic that is able to use the bss pics will be tricky for a cheap price. you have to find a dryer with a narrow tip. because the blowdryer pics will not fit dryers with a larger nozzle tip.

I normally buy the andis they are cheap etc. but they have been dying out on me left and right.

yodie

I've tried walmart (2 stores), Target, CVS, Rite-Aid and Walgreen's for those satin covered rollers. No luck! Pin curls have been getting the job done for now.

msa

Picked this up from Walmart this morning. Seems to have everything that I want. Its Conair, my fave color (red), tourmaline, has a comb attachment, diffuse, cold setting, a cold shot and it was less than $20. So, I'll try it out and see.

Had no luck finding that $50 blowdryer that another poster mentioned or the satin rollers that I've been looking for.

That dryer sounds great. Which walmart did you go to? And let us know how you like it.

yodie

msa, I went to the Walmart in West Hills. They had plenty in stock. Bed, Bath and Beyond had the same dryer advertised, but none on the shelf. Cost $10 more at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Guess it still works out to be the same if you use a $10 off coupon. BBB also had a few CHI dryer for upwards of $90. Too expensive for my blood today.

I'll let you ladies know how I like it.

Soliel185

My favorite dryer was a Conair Yellow Bird. It has a cool setting/switch (so you don't have to hold the button) and the attachment was silicon - which means it was flexible and didn't break in my hair. I'm eyeing the Conair Blackbird now (which is the same but with a bit more power) since my Yellow Bird went to heaven :cry:

They run from $15-35.00

yodie

Thank you for recommending this dryer. I really like it!! It got the job done today. The right tools and products are EVERYTHING.

The cool setting is more than enough. It's not cold at all and it has a slight tinge of warmth to it, enough to dry my hair. Didn't even need to use the warm or hot settings. I used "cool" on a higher speed to dry my hair.

The comb attachment even works, but I find that the tourmaline technology closes my cuticle enough that I don't really need the comb attachment. Even still I tried it out in some areas and it got the job done. The comb attaches to the dryer securely enough and doesn't slip off easily.

The dryer isn't very heavy and doesn't weigh my arm down. It also has a diffuser. So, when I grow more hair (lol!!) I'll be able to try this out too.

This is definitely a GREAT dryer for the price. It's a keeper for now until I decide to upgrade. Keep in mind that I'm comparing this to my old Conair that I purchased for about $10 and has only one setting (heat) and two speeds (low and high), but my comb attaches perfectly!

Tourmaline makes a HUGE difference in my hair. I'll never buy another dryer without it.

Last edited:

Chromia

Thank you for recommending this dryer. I really like it!! It got the job done today. The right tools and products are EVERYTHING.

The cool setting is more than enough. It's not cold at all and it has a slight tinge of warmth to it, enough to dry my hair. Didn't even need to use the warm or hot settings. I used "cool" on a higher speed to dry my hair.

The comb attachment even works, but I find that the tourmaline technology closes my cuticle enough that I don't really need the comb attachment. Even still I tried it out in some areas and it got the job done. The comb attaches to the dryer securely enough and doesn't slip off easily.

The dryer isn't very heavy and doesn't weigh my arm down. It also has a diffuser. So, when I grow more hair (lol!!) I'll be able to try this out too.

This is definitely a GREAT dryer for the price. It's a keeper for now until I decide to upgrade. Keep in mind that I'm comparing this to my old Conair that I purchased for about $10 and has only one setting (heat) and two speeds (low and high), but my comb attaches perfectly!

Tourmaline makes a HUGE difference in my hair. I'll never buy another dryer without it.
I'm glad you like this dryer! I really like it too. I bought it to replace an old VIP Pro 1200 watt dryer that I received as a gift 10 or 15 years ago.