Blowdying alternatives

prettygrl

Hi--
I'm new to the forum. I have already tried some of your suggestions- like the pre wash olive oil trmt and it worked really well. I'm going to try not to blow dry my hair at all-b/c when I do my hair ends up all over the sink. I've seen some users refer to the ponytail method.
I tried the pony tail method and the ends of my hair ended up wavy and not straight, how can I avoid that? Should I use a setting lotion? I used an Aphogee leave-in.
Also, the braid out method. On the end of the braids should I use rollers.
Does anyone find these methods hard to do when it is almost time for a relaxer?
Any other hints on blow drying alternatives would be great!
Thanks.
4a/b

YOu can put ya hair up in a bun and put some hair polisher in the front of it to smooth it. My hair comes out alright that way but it takes like 2days to completely dry then i wrap my hair at night like i usually would. I still believe that roller sets give the best results. All the <font color="red"> </font color> other methods have pissed me off a time or two.

Peachtree

Hey Prettygrl
Welcome to our "hair home" /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I'm glad the olive oil treatment is working for you. This is a must for my hair. Now, to answer some of your questions...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I tried the pony tail method and the ends of my hair ended up wavy and not straight, how can I avoid that? Should I use a setting lotion? I used an Aphogee leave-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I too have not mastered the "correct" ponytail method, so I sort of adjusted it to fit my hair.

1. After applying Motions leave-in &amp; Hot Six Oil, I gather the hair into one ponytail (in crown area), making sure the hair is perfectly straight &amp; laying flat, secured with satin scrunchie
2. I wrap a jumbo (purple) magnetic roller around the tail portion (I ALWAYS USE END PAPERS!)
--- THAT'S IT! ---

In about 36 hrs it's completely dry. The pony tail has a large loose curl at the end, and usually by the end of the day, the loose curl has completely dropped &amp; is straight! I find that when I add the setting lotion prior to the pony tail, my hair holds the loose curl much, much longer. But if I want the straight look quickly, I omit the setting lotion.

Also, the braid out method. On the end of the braids should I use rollers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you want a "finished" look, add rollers. Some ladies braid the entire hair then add the roller. I like to leave about 1" of hair "unbraided" then add the roller.

Does anyone find these methods hard to do when it is almost time for a relaxer?

[/ QUOTE ]

A braid out, not at all /images/graemlins/smile.gif. In fact, right now I have about 1.5" of new growth &amp; I will touch up on March 1st. (that will be 5 mths for me. I go anywhere from 4-6 mths). In mth 4, the braid out is my preferred style. It's quick &amp; easy, it provides a nice way to "blend" the new growth &amp; relaxed hair, and most importantly, it serves as a very practical &amp; stylish way to keep the hair very moisturized leading up to the touchup.

Now the ponytail method....well, let's just say, for me at around 2 mths, it's useless /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, only because by this point, my new growth is very noticeable, &amp; from past experiences, (I speaking of 10 yrs of self styling), I've learned to work WITH my hair instead of against it. Meaning, when I have alot of new growth, I don't even try to wear straight styles...the 2 hair different textures are too evident. When the scalp hair is straight, I wear straight styles; when it's wavy from new growth, I wear wavy or curly styles. This way I don't feel like it's a battle; it's a win/win situation then /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE TO BLOW DRYING IS TO DO A ROLLER SET. DO A SEARCH ON THIS BOARD FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS, IF NEEDED.

I certainly hope that some of this will help you. By the way, I too am 4b; horizontal b/s length. I'm sorry this is drawn out, but I just wanted to share.

God Bless,
Peachtree

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Peachtree, what do you do during those 36 hours while your hair is drying? Just wondering--I mean do you leave the house with the roller in your hair...

Also, would like to know how you go 5 mos. without a relaxer /images/graemlins/blush.gif Anything special to keep the new growth smooth???????

G

Pardon me, but is the "ponytail method" exactly what the name suggests? When it is wet, just put it in a ponytail and air dry? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Peachtree

Hey Supergirl,
Sorry it took so long to respond.

Peachtree, what do you do during those 36 hours while your hair is drying? Just wondering--I mean do you leave the house with the roller in your hair...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, lol. Usually I'm just going to the grocery store, or somewhere simple like that. I have this big silky doo-rag kinda' head wrap (black), that covers my head as well as my length. It drapes across my back when hanging. I try to give it a stylish look by wearing a hat on top.

I usually "ponytail air dry" when I know I'm in the house for a couple days. Makes life easier this way, lol.

Also, would like to know how you go 5 mos. without a relaxer Anything special to keep the new growth smooth???????

[/ QUOTE ]

No, nothing special to keep the new growth smooth. In fact, I'm wanting to experiment with Adrienne's curl activator method. But for the most part, I alternate between braid outs (again, when I have nothing to do outdoors) &amp; my fav...roller sets. In fact, now that I think about it, roller sets allow my new growth to remain "smooth" for a few days (about 4). Believe me, it hasn't been easy adjusting to the long duration between touchups.....I just made up my mind to wait 4-6 mths....&amp; stick to it (unless breakage begins, which is at 6 mths). I've seen a drastic improvement in the health of my hair.

God Bless,
Peachtree