Splitender on blow dried hair??

hair4romheaven

I want a consistent way to trim my ends. I'm thinking on purchasing a splitender but know I DON'T straighten my hair with a flat iron. I plan on blow drying using the tension method with minimal combing.
Do you think the split ender will work on blow dried hair or tension method blow dried hair?

If you don't use a splitender what do you use and what method?

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I want a consistent way to trim my ends. I'm thinking on purchasing a splitender but know I DON'T straighten my hair with a flat iron. I plan on blow drying using the tension method with minimal combing.
Do you think the split ender will work on blow dried hair or tension method blow dried hair?

If you don't use a splitender what do you use and what method?

What's your hair type? I use the split ender on small sections of hair, that I've moistened with a spray detangler. I don't blow it straight first anymore, because it really didn't make a difference. As long as your hair can glide through the SplitEnder it should be fine. I love it...it does an awesome job!

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
The best way to know is to try it. Everyone I've seen talk about it got great results from using it. Just make sure your sections are small, and that your hair can glide through the comb part. Some people also stretch with braids, or Curlformers instead of straightening.

classoohfive

What's your hair type? I use the split ender on small sections of hair, that I've moistened with a spray detangler. I don't blow it straight first anymore, because it really didn't make a difference. As long as your hair can glide through the SplitEnder it should be fine. I love it...it does an awesome job!

I've only used my Split Ender on flat ironed hair but I've been holding off on flat ironing. I need to try your method.

classoohfive

MrsJaiDiva I just wanted to thank you for this tip! I researched the SE a lot before purchasing and found that everyone said it couldn't be used without a flat iron, blow dry, or roller set. The detangling spray allowed me to stretch my hair somewhat straight without breakage so it was able to go through most areas. I did have to use smaller sections than when I flat iron but I've been avoiding direct heat so I didn't mind. There were some places where my new growth was too thick for me to try; however, I think my NG is in better shape so I didn't mind skipping over it where needed.

Thanks again! I will be doing this every time I don't flat iron or blow dry to continue to avoid heat. :) I missed the smooth feeling of my hair from a fresh SE session, lol.

Missdelicious1

I personally need my hair to be flat ironed to get it through my split ender. I'm a relaxed/texlaxed type 4 and I wouldn't use it on my blow dried (or even roller set) hair. Even my flat ironed hair tends to get stuck sometimes, so I don't think it would glide through properly otherwise. I would advise you to straighten it, but as MrsJaiDiva said the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Lilmama1011

It says not to add product because basically your hair has to be frizzy so that the ends are separate and you can cut each one. If you moisturized it will cause some ends not to stick out and each one won't get cut. So I just wash and air dry and when it dry I do the split ender and then re wet hair and rollerset it. But I'm pretty sure as long as you blow dry with no product you can be sure you get a good trim of each end.

classoohfive

It says not to add product because basically your hair has to be frizzy so that the ends are separate and you can cut each one. If you moisturized it will cause some ends not to stick out and each one won't get cut. So I just wash and air dry and when it dry I do the split ender and then re wet hair and rollerset it. But I'm pretty sure as long as you blow dry with no product you can be sure you get a good trim of each end.

My ends stuck out fine. There were plenty of stuck out ends I could see from prior breakage. :( There were so many that I was afraid I'm going to end up with a huge cut if my hair continues to break. Maybe that's why she said to use a spray detangler, so the ends don't stick like with moisturizers? It will probably vary depending on your hair (I'm texlaxed) and product so it's a YMMV type of thing.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
:lol: my hair is naturally a big ol frizzball, so that's no issue for me. I dry, and stretch my hair in braids. I spray my hair lightly, I don't saturate it so that it's smooth and clumped together. I use small sections, and I'm slow and patient. And I definitely get a good trim this way, I daresay better than when it's flatironed! There was a good amount of ends in the blade compartment the last time I trimmed.

classoohfive Glad I could help! :drunk:

naturalmanenyc

Great thread. I had an bad salon experience yesterday and did not even let the stylist finish my hair (blow out & flat iron). I came home and rewash & flat ironed myself but now I need a trim. I need to find the split ender locally.