Blowing out the roots..

Lovelylocs

When stylists say that they just have to blow out the roots befor wrapping your hair after a roller set does that usually entail blowing out the whole shaft but mainly the root? I was just curious b/c this is what every dominican stylist that i have ever had( both here in the states and in Sto Dgo) has done so far. Am I being tricked? Is this still safe? I only go to the salon for touch ups and that is the only time that any heat is used so I try to be very careful.

Tracy

Nope - when I used to do it in NYC it as just the root. When they went more than 3 inches down I made them stop and just wrap it. If they go further than 3 inches they are doing it wrong.

THey should take a fine tooth comb or small round brush, pull the new growth and any hair that was left curly at the root taut, and hit ti with the blow dryer for a few seconds. They shouldn't pull the brush down the shaft much at all. Sometimes they will re-shape the form of the curl they were working on with their hands right after they are done with that section to make sure it keeps its shape. The majority of the length should still be smooth and most of the curl from the roller left in it.