Bone Straight for white women?

keni5

Its been a long time since ive posted, but id like to say first of all ive missed this site and the info.

Well at work a white coworker was talking about self relaxing her hair. Well I always assumed they had to go to the beautician, and asked her about it. She said she buys bone straight in a box at walmart all the time. Now I havent had a perm in 6 years, but it seems to me bone straight is for black hair. So I asked her how she applies it. She said she parts it in 4 sections, puts the cream in and smooths it. Then wash it with a neutralizing shampoo. So Im like girl thats how we do our perms. I asked her if she gets chemical burns and shes like sometimes. Anyway her hair looks a little fried but you know still long and bushy like. My question to you guys
-Isnt bone straight for african/amer hair?
-
-Is the box void of any picture of a black woman?

Before I open my big mouth and tell her shes damaging her hair, I want to make sure no one else has ever heard of white women using black hair care relaxers.

thanx for any responses
tiffany

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
white women can have different hair textures just like black women. /images/graemlins/wink.gif not all white women have straight, type 1 hair.

skegeesmb

White women do use relaxers marketed for blacks. The truth is a relaxer can be used by any woman or man who has any type of curl.

The results of misuse of the relaxer would be the same for whites as well, brittle hair, breakage if not moisturized.

keni5

Wow I swear I have never heard that in my life...I thought maybe she was misguided. Im glad I didnt say anything. Thanx for the responses ladies!!

skegeesmb

I'm going to see if I can find the post we said about white women and relaxers, it was very interesting.

BAILEYSCREAM

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
white women can have different hair textures just like black women. /images/graemlins/wink.gif not all white women have straight, type 1 hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, especially Grreks and Mediterranean people, they can have some kinky hair just like black people if not kinkier at times. Just depends on their genes.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
maybe you should recomend she use a shorter time or a milder perm if she is looking fried and bushy. maybe a protein treatment

dreemssold

I was watching a rerun of Life and Style on Oxygen this morning and I thought of this post. Mikki Taylor, the Essence beauty editor was on there heading up makeovers, and she gave a white woman a gentle relaxer. Kimora was surprised and Mikki said, yes, they can get them, too /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Tru_Mind

Keni, maybe you should direct your co-worker to LHCF. She's arleady uses black hair care products and she need to know how to keep her hair looking healthy.