BRAID WEARER.........PLEASE!

HOTCHOCOLATE

I'm thinking of getting braids(twist) because I am getting tired of combing my hair every day. I have a lot of questions:

1. What kind of Braids are you sporting?
2. How often are you washing?
3. What products are you using?(shampoo, cond. and etc.)
4. How long are you leaving the braids in?
5. How is the health of your hair after take down?

That's it for now---thanks /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

H

HoneyRockette

Individual braids with human hair.

Every two weeks to avoid further slippage.

Diluted clarifying shampoo and my top secret homemade braid elixir.

I am leaving this set of braids in for two months but I plan on leaving braids in for a year to eighteen months.

This is my first set of braids so I can't say. I will see after I remove them in January.

ms_kenesha

HoneyRockette,
Aren't you afraid to leave your braids in so long? Depending on your hair growth it might lock up due to the twisting/manipulation of the braids. When I wear braids I only leave my braids in for a month at a time, but I know people who go longer. I just wanted you to be aware of the dangers since this is your first time in braids.

HTH

H

HoneyRockette

Oh no no no. I mean I plan to leave braids in my hair as a style for a total of 12-18 months. I am going to redo them every 2-3 months.

Faith

* Toyokalon hair by Afrelle, braided with ends out
* 1x a week or 1x every 2 weeks. Depends on how I feel.
* I went back to using my Better Braids shampoo Spray (I wanted to finish it up before buying more products) diluted.
* I then spray in my glycerin/water mixture. And oil with kemi oyl or something light every other day or so.
* I leave them in 3 months at a time. I have been in braids over 3 years (give or take 3-4 weeks). Come end of June I'm taking a 4 month break.
* A little dry...but my hair tends to be dry anyways so I can't really tell. It's not more dry than usual if that helps. I still have a lot of elasticity which I equate partly to my glycerin/water mixture.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fancypants007

I just put braids in my hair over the weekend. I put them just at the base of my hair (loop and twist according to Robin's methods). I put different colors (27 & 33) and it turned out beautifully. Everyone complimented me on the good job and the color. I usually use synthetic hair (Kankealon or yaki toyaleon.. excuse spelling). I wash them once a week with diluted shampoo. I usually keep my braids in for about 2 months. I spray everynight with braid spray. I want to try using what Adrienne recommends, the S Curl No Drip activator. My hair grows in braids. I have been following Robin's technique; braid for two months, take out and deep condition for two months, etc. But I've decided to keep the braids in my hair back to back for about a year. I will give my hair a break for about 2 weeks when I take the braids out, and I will rebraid them again. I too find it very hard to manage my unruly, natural hair. It is just so much work. I still have not got the hang of it. My hair does not lock up after two months. It took me 7 hours to put the braids in my hair. The last time I did them it took me 10 hours and it took 5 hours for me to take them out. No breakage, no problem. I want to try something different this time. I brought this stimulating hair tonic that has an oily base. I can really feel my scalp tingling when I put it on. I want to put on my hair every other day but I hope it does not cause an excessive build up. I'm hoping to get at least 5-6" by next year. I took a picture of my hair before I put braids in, and when stretched, I would say it's bra strap length. Hope this helps!

HOTCHOCOLATE

Thanks Guys----Here's Part II

6. What treatment are you doing pre-braiding? ( moisture
or protein conditioning)--both
7. Are you trimming b/4 braiding?

H

HoneyRockette

6. What treatment are you doing pre-braiding? ( moisture
or protein conditioning)
I used Structure-in by Biostrand which is essentially a hair strengthener. I also used a super detangler to minimize breakage due to tangling.

7. Are you trimming b/4 braiding?
I cut about four inches off before braiding.