brastrap length natural braid wearers

L

legs71

I'm in need of some motivation in growing my natural hair to brastrap length. My hair is currently shoulder length and I wear human hair braid extensions( I get them re-done every 3 months). There are days I think I will never meet my hair goals. Since discovering this board I pay more attention to how I care for my hair. I wash it weekly, I moisturize and I take vitamins. Please help before I lose my sanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you go through a period where you felt your hair growth was stagnant?

How long was your hair when you first decided to go natural?

How long did it take for your hair to reach brastrap length?

Any hair tips or advice you can give or suggest?

Kitkat

Hi Legz. I'm not at bra-strap length, but I hope you don't mind my offering a response to your post.

How long have you been braiding your hair, and how long do you intend to keep braids in? If you're at shoulder length now, and you're redoing braids every 3 months, I see no reason why you shouldn't reach your goal. It sounds as if you're doing all the right things and I think your goal is definitely within reach.

Fatima

I never transitioned so I can't help you there.
I just shaved my head off and grew it from there.
There are painful parts where your hair stagnates (from afro up to the moment you can gather them all, from there up to the time you can get them to touch your shoulders etc.)
But one day you wake up and you realise your hair is 5 cm more!

The ideal is to forget about hair, and live your life. Be patient. I took me about 4 years, including all mistakes, trims etc.

F.

Faith

Hey legs /images/graemlins/grin.gif
My advice to you is not to give up. The hair does go through growth spurts and stagnate periods but it passes. Are you taking pics to monitor growth? That may help. Maybe take one now and another in 3- 6 months and see.

Did you go through a period where you felt your hair growth was stagnant?
*Right now my hair is growing really slow. I noticed that bwt June-July to Nov, my hair is really slow in growing. I got 1.25" in 4 months /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. But come the new year it starts up again. I get anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3" a month. In a year I get about 4".

How long was your hair when you first decided to go natural?
* My hair was about 19" from front hailine when I decided to go natural. I started over with 1/2" of natural hair in November 1999.

How long did it take for your hair to reach brastrap length?
*It took me 2 years 10 months. I'm almost an inch past top of bra strap now.

Any hair tips or advice you can give or suggest?
*Keep it moisturized.
* Keep your hands out of it..if you like braids or weaves or even cornrows do it.
*Keep your routine simple. I noticed when I first started I would try this and that and some were so long and complicated I lost interest.

My braid regimen:
1. shampoo with better braids shampoo spray (diluted)
2. post shampoo treatment: coconut oil ( I switched this from pre to post cause I was talking to a friend and she helped me realize that my hair would probably benefit more if I used the oil when my cuticles were open.
2. spray hair with glycerin/water mix, every other day
3. oil with kemi oyl or wgo or use one that you like that's light...every other day.

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

L

legs71

kitkat,Fatima & Faith

Thank you for all of your support! It helps a great deal to hear from people who have been where I have never been before and where I'm trying to get. You're definitely right about the growth spurts. Growth spurts are so unpredictable because you never know when they're going to strike and they sneak up on you. The majority of my growth occured during a growth spurt from Nov.'01-April '02 which was the beginning of my natural journey. About a month and a half ago I began washing my hair 1-2xs a week and I find that helps a great deal. In a week or so I'm due to get my hair rebraided I'll probably get it pressed to see how much it has grown. Faith, I can only hope and pray my hair is close to your length next October. My goal is to get to brastrap length and depending on how I feel have my hair relaxed again. I'd love to see some pics of your entire hair out and pressed.

SVT

My hair is not brastrap either but I've working on ways to get unstuck from my "just below shoulder" length hair.

I've been doing conditioner washes combined with plastic caps at night since late October and it has greatly improved the feel of my hair, natural and pressed! I contribute that to all the moisture my hair has been getting. Today is the first day I've worn my hair pressed since late October and it seems slightly longer. It's definately got a lot of movement and my hair is softer than it's been in a long time. It appears shinier but I think that's because I colored it with Clairol Textures and Tones on Sunday.

I'm sticking with the conditioner washes and plastic cap routine with an occasional press. I think by the end of March, I'll notice a dramatic change in length.