Formaldehyde Free BKT unsafe?

crazydaze911

Hey ladies
i really thought i wanted to do the BKT but i'm still confused. look at the article i found below...(it came from the peter louis salon in nyc website where i got my extensions last year). PLEASE HELP!

Saturday, October 13, 2007
Formaldehyde Free BKT contains 2% Ether!
We currently do not offer Brazilian Keratin Treatment due to safety concerns. Some people think it is safe to be treated with a 2% formaldehyde solution. I believe it is not especially if the salon is doing many BKTs per day the air in the salon will be Toxic containing greater that a 2% concetration of Formaldehyde gas in the air!

Many hairstylists have difficulty with math and make up answers to your questions, so do your own research.

Formaldehyde Free Brazilian Keratin Treatment contains 2% Ether!, which is an anesthetic with side effects such as nausea and lung irritation.

Click here to read the article in NEW YORK magazine . I don't understand why people just don't care about themselves or others until they get sick.

http://straightening.blogspot.com/2007/10/formaldehyde-free-bkt-contains-2-ether.html

lovinmylocs

All of this stuff scares me personally. Here is how I read the situation, the formula isn't safe for the stylists. If they are doing this all day long, day after day then I can see that. They are exposed to levels that are much higher and over a longer period of time than you would be. At the end of the day you need to do what's best for your health, and if you're scared or confused don't do it.

JLove74

I was reading an article that said BKT advertised as Formaldehyde Free may not be so. It still contains it, but in a lower dosage. While it sounds like a good idea, it just seems too strong for our hair.

Some people on the board have gotten it, but I'm still not convienced.

Kurlee

As good as the BKT sounds and looks. There are way too many warnings and red flags about its contents and potential danger. Its not worth it at all. Just get a good flat iron and some quality straightening products.

crazydaze911

As good as the BKT sounds and looks. There are way too many warnings and red flags about its contents and potential danger. Its not worth it at all. Just get a good flat iron and some quality straightening products.

Kurlee - what straightening products do you recommend? i have the chi silk infusion but NOTHING can help my roots - lol.
also - Cant get rid of frizz no matter what i do (caucasians usually use the bkt for this purpose). and i heard bkt helps you use less heat cuz theres less tangling (im transitioning). I dont wanna go back to relaxers, but as great as the tips here are, UNLESS i use heat once a week, i cant deal with my hair :nono: I'm trying to hang in there and keep reading the transitioning threads.... Thanks for the advice guys. anyone else?

Last edited: