Breakage Breakage. Help

coolsista-paris

Hi To all.ô decided to post after 2-3weeks of breakage!!my hair is not behaving as usual. ..i clarified. ..tried more moisture (it refuses to stay mousturized!!!!i dc 2 days ago...its already dry. my hair snaps and maybe i need less protein and lots of moisture. problem is every conditionner,dc,moisturizer i have are with protein. Im lost. nothing works. Should i dc again? what products are protein free? i have natural 4 hair,fine to médium strands High density. take vitamins? (My nails seem to grow less and break now )

Thank you

Try a moisturizing shampoo followed by a moisturizing dc with heat or at least a plastic baggy. Then add some aloe vera juice mixed with a creamy moisturizer once your hair is almost dry.

Be sure to wash in sections. I have type 4 hair and this has saved so many strands. It also helps to only comb your hair when It's damp not wet.

Do you know how to chose the products without protein. Does it matter if citric acid is at the bottom list of ingrédients?i dc with heat and it was ok. But 2 days after dry hair again.wow

Hi Coolista-Paris,

I had a problem with protein overload last year. My hair loves protein treatments but protein in leave ins, shampoos and conditioners are a big no no. When you read the label there are some catch phases that indicate there is protein (hydrolyzed wheat protein, keratin, etc). When I last had protein overload, it took at least a month before my hair corrected itself. Citric Acid is not a protein so don't worry.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Do you know how to chose the products without protein. Does it matter if citric acid is at the bottom list of ingrédients?i dc with heat and it was ok. But 2 days after dry hair again.wow
Look for the words hydrolyzed protein, keratin, wheat protein, amino acids, etc.

Protein overload may take weeks to correct. In the meantime keep your hair moisturized and in a protective style. When I have breakage I wear wigs while I address the issue. It allows me to wash frequently, moisturize, seal amd everything without sacrificing my style.

Look for the words hydrolyzed protein, keratin, wheat protein, amino acids, etc.

Protein overload may take weeks to correct. In the meantime keep your hair moisturized and in a protective style. When I have breakage I wear wigs while I address the issue. It allows me to wash frequently, moisturize, seal amd everything without sacrificing my style.

I was being conservative in saying one month, indeed it can take weeks to correct.

So, if when you wet your hair in the shower and hair begins to come out a lot especially tiny hairs and when you style it that indicates protein is needed.

But if you notice dry ends that snap off and break when you open up your hair then your hair needs moisture.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Crap, I think I have protein overload. I thought everything was going well but then I neglected my hair for 3 weeks then once I got it together everything seemed fine, so I relaxed. I probably need a trim as well. Well @coolsista-paris You are not alone.

FWIW, a huge facilitator in overcoming protein overload is pre-pooing, particularly with a very moisturizing, protein-free conditioner that has substantive oils added to it (such as castor/JBCO, jojoba, babassu and almond). Even mixing a melted butter with conditioner will do the trick. Slather the mixture onto dry hair and let it process for a few hours, or sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. Rinse and use a moisturizing cowash or cleansing conditioner instead of shampoo before DCing. Next, you will need to DC hard by adding oil to the conditioner before sitting under the dryer (always use heat to DC until the overload has been eliminated).

All of your DCs and finishing products should be highly emollient and protein free. Also, try to limit or avoid EVCO, avocado and aloe vera for the time being, as well as any other hidden proteins, such as algae, seaweed, kelp and whey (you will be able to get away with using a product containing silk if it's low on the ingredient list). Do this process for the next four washes and I'm certain that you're hair will revive. BTW, an excellent protein-free multipurpose product is Hairveda's Sitrinillah because it's an excellent pre-poo and DC, and contains no protein - just add oils and magic happens. I always keep a jar...or four of this on hand. Bobeam is another superb, deliciously moisturizing, reasonably priced, protein-free conditioner at $10 for 8oz (and she's having a 20% off sale until 12/31:look:). If you need quick fixes that you can find in stores, Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm can serve as a great moisturizing pre-poo and DC base, and As I Am has a good cleansing cowash and leave-in. Stay away from those cheapie conditioners because they won't help.

im gonna have to go wig shopping. hubby HATES wigs but um..lol i might have to do it. my fine strands doesnt like cornrows.. so maymbe i should wig it up and have individual braids under (celies)? try baggying...

I was being conservative in saying one month, indeed it can take weeks to correct.

So, if when you wet your hair in the shower and hair begins to come out a lot especially tiny hairs and when you style it that indicates protein is needed.

But if you notice dry ends that snap off and break when you open up your hair then your hair needs moisture.

Best,
Almond Eyes

i found tiny bits everywhere. No elasticity at all. snaps ! so i must be in protein overload. ohhhh my this is gonna be long to fix

Hi Coolista-Paris,

I had a problem with protein overload last year. My hair loves protein treatments but protein in leave ins, shampoos and conditioners are a big no no. When you read the label there are some catch phases that indicate there is protein (hydrolyzed wheat protein, keratin, etc). When I last had protein overload, it took at least a month before my hair corrected itself. Citric Acid is not a protein so don't worry.

Best,
Almond Eyes
i though citric acid was a protein :spinning:

FWIW, a huge facilitator in overcoming protein overload is pre-pooing, particularly with a very moisturizing, protein-free conditioner that has substantive oils added to it (such as castor/JBCO, jojoba, babassu and almond). Even mixing a melted butter with conditioner will do the trick. Slather the mixture onto dry hair and let it process for a few hours, or sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. Rinse and use a moisturizing cowash or cleansing conditioner instead of shampoo before DCing. Next, you will need to DC hard by adding oil to the conditioner before sitting under the dryer (always use heat to DC until the overload has been eliminated).

All of your DCs and finishing products should be highly emollient and protein free. Also, try to limit or avoid EVCO, avocado and aloe vera for the time being, as well as any other hidden proteins, such as algae, seaweed, kelp and whey (you will be able to get away with using a product containing silk if it's low on the ingredient list). Do this process for the next four washes and I'm certain that you're hair will revive. BTW, an excellent protein-free multipurpose product is Hairveda's Sitrinillah because it's an excellent pre-poo and DC, and contains no protein - just add oils and magic happens. I always keep a jar...or four of this on hand. Bobeam is another superb, deliciously moisturizing, reasonably priced, protein-free conditioner at $10 for 8oz (and she's having a 20% off sale until 12/31:look:). If you need quick fixes that you can find in stores, Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm can serve as a great moisturizing pre-poo and DC base, and As I Am has a good cleansing cowash and leave-in. Stay away from those cheapie conditioners because they won't help.
Thank you!!! im gonna have to go hard very hard on this dc (i usually skip dc...) but i always pre pro.
Well im gonna have to force myself if i wanna save this hair.
i dc twice this wrrk which i never do usually...

im gonna have to go wig shopping. hubby HATES wigs but um..lol i might have to do it. my fine strands doesnt like cornrows.. so maymbe i should wig it up and have individual braids under (celies)? try baggying...
I do celies underneath mine. Hairsisters.com has really really cute wigs for cheap. Look up the Morgan and Bali girl wig. Morgan turns heads everywhere lol.

For protein overload, adding a touch of table salt to your deep conditioner will break the protein bonds. I wrote a blog post on this but this info is also found on LHCF too. If I can locate the thread, I'll link to it.

Silk Elements Kera Minerals from Sally's is a good moisturizing conditioner. I don't recall it having protein but I haven't looked at the ingredients in a while so things might have changed.

Coolsista-Paris thinks she has over moisturized hair and needs to do a protein treatment. Just make sure that after your protein you do a real DC not a DC with protein to prevent hair hardness from too much protein.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
I do celies underneath mine. Hairsisters.com has really really cute wigs for cheap. Look up the Morgan and Bali girl wig. Morgan turns heads everywhere lol.
im gonna check that out and see if they ship to france.. I will first go hair shopping here and see what I can find.

For protein overload, adding a touch of table salt to your deep conditioner will break the protein bonds. I wrote a blog post on this but this info is also found on LHCF too. If I can locate the thread, I'll link to it.

Silk Elements Kera Minerals from Sally's is a good moisturizing conditioner. I don't recall it having protein but I haven't looked at the ingredients in a while so things might have changed.
i will try this on my next wash day.
i usually can hold 14 days to wash but ive been doing a lot of dc these days.

Op, are you sure it's protein overload?
nope. but it seems like it. my hair does not repond to anything it usually likes. It is DRYYYY like crazy a,d just snaps . hard to pass your fingers in..
i usually use protein based conditionner, hair conditionners, sometimes shampoo too... gel.. spray moisturizer. Im realizing that i only have very very few moisturizing products (just shampoo and 1 conditionner). the rest is ful of protein

Coolsista-Paris thinks she has over moisturized hair and needs to do a protein treatment. Just make sure that after your protein you do a real DC not a DC with protein to prevent hair hardness from too much protein.

Best,
Almond Eyes
i think i have protein overload. it seems like it. I will not touch any protein for some time. this is fustrating.

I trimmed my ends today. They are smoother. i mixed in a bottle water,glycerin and grapeseed oil. it made my hair softer .....until i added this oil mixture to seal ..( olive oil + dabut vatika oil = henna, coconut, amla, lemon) ......:angry2: i am so mad at myself now. why in the world did i use it!!!
i beleive i can catch up when i remoisturize. I will seal with olive oil i guess.just get it from the kitchen.

I Agree.

You are definitely going to have to do the work to bring your hair back in proper balance (protein/moisture).

If you have Aubrey Organics there, I would grab a bottle of GPB and maybe some Honeysuckle Rose or White Camelia (for the Moisture). Or anything similar you can find OTG.

The GPB will really help get you back in Balance or any other Balancing Conditioner you can find in France.

You are going to have to revamp your current Stash and put some moisture in there STAT with your leave-ins, shampoos, gels dc'ers etc. and save those proteins for when your hair needs that extra added boost of strength.

:hiya:
I think you should try a chelating poo and/or get a shower filter. I believe Paris has hard water.

Use the chelating poo for your 1st lather. Follow-up with a moisturizing poo for the 2nd lather.

I hope the issue gets resolved soon!

I Agree.

You are definitely going to have to do the work to bring your hair back in proper balance (protein/moisture).

If you have Aubrey Organics there, I would grab a bottle of GPB and maybe some Honeysuckle Rose or White Camelia (for the Moisture). Or anything similar you can find OTG.

The GPB will really help get you back in Balance or any other Balancing Conditioner you can find in France.

You are going to have to revamp your current Stash and put some moisture in there STAT with your leave-ins, shampoos, gels dc'ers etc. and save those proteins for when your hair needs that extra added boost of strength.

there are quite a lot we dont have here lol. unfortunately. I might have to check out I herb for aubrey organics. (ive heard so much about honeysuckle)

once i used elasta qp dpr 11 and it moisturized so well. i will check if i can find that. but i must check everything i buy to make sure ZERO protein

Back