Has anyone experienced breakage from pincurling?

changedname

My hair is quite short right now so I've been pincurling as I can't do much with it straight and short. I thought I had my moisture/protein balance on lock but I washed my hair today and I've had a lot of breakage. I do nothing with my hair but moisturise daily and pincurl and cover at night. I DC once a week with moisture or protein. And I have no breakage when I rollerset.

Has anyone else experienced breakage from pincurling? As it seems like a lot of manipulation, especially with wet har. Or should I use another type of clip to pincurl - I'm using bobby pins at the moment?

changedname

Thank you, I thought it was a lot of manipulation. I'm sure I'm breaking my hair when I put the pins in. I hate my hair down at the length that it is though, but I guess I'll have to find something else to do, at least part of the time.

KiSseS03

Interesting... I do pincurls on dry hair with no issues. It may just be the fact that your stretching and pinning your wet hair too far? Could you maybe try airdrying your hair and then pincurling your dry hair with some setting lotion?

almond eyes

When you have shorter hair and pull the hair too tight with the clips, it's not a good idea. You should use a light weight bobby pin and don't pull so tight.

Best,
Almond Eyes

heyfranz

I never pincurl on wet hair. I have fine/thin hair and think that would cause damage. I pincurl on dry with no issues

changedname

Interesting... I do pincurls on dry hair with no issues. It may just be the fact that your stretching and pinning your wet hair too far? Could you maybe try airdrying your hair and then pincurling your dry hair with some setting lotion?

I do pincurls on dry hair with some water mixed with some leave in before I go to bed and I still get breakage! I've been trying that instead of wetting it through all of the time as I know hair is more vulnerable wet. I started out initially with a setting lotion but the alcohol dried out my hair and made it brittle.

This is so annoying. Now I can't use heat or pincurl. And my hair isnt long enough for a rollerset to look good. I hate having short hair :wallbash:

pookaloo83

I have very fine hair and I pincurl every night with castor oil only. No breakage. Bobby pins is what gave me breakage. Now i use these

910danielle1987

Bobby pins are the devil. My hair broke off so bad with them. I would be at almost bra strap length now if it wasn't for the breakage I got from them.

You might want to try sleeping in large satin rollers.

changedname

I have very fine hair and I pincurl every night with castor oil only. No breakage. Bobby pins is what gave me breakage. Now i use these

That sounds like a good idea. I know for certain that I have broken a few strands when sliding the bobby pins in and out. This may be a silly question but are these pins small enough to clip the hair to your head like bobby pins? Or do they just hold the curl together?

pookaloo83

That sounds like a good idea. I know for certain that I have broken a few strands when sliding the bobby pins in and out. This may be a silly question but are these pins small enough to clip the hair to your head like bobby pins? Or do they just hold the curl together?

Just put the clips in like you would do a bobby pin. :yep: And it's better because you can open the prongs and your hair won't snag.

changedname

Bobby pins are the devil. My hair broke off so bad with them. I would be at almost bra strap length now if it wasn't for the breakage I got from them.

You might want to try sleeping in large satin rollers.

Sigh, I wish I could but I have really short hair? Like 5 inches. I cut it to about an inch in May. When I use large magnetic rollers my hair comes out straight but it's not long enough to curl well. I'm glad stopping with the bobby pins might be a solution though. I was sure that might be an issue because when I don't pincurl my hair doesn't break (unless I do something wrong!)

Your Cheeziness

I pincurl with the light bobby pins with no problems regularly. I always pincurl on completely dry hair. If I add any product, it's a light mist of Jane Carter leave in and a few drops of Jane Carter hair serum. I pincurl, cover my hair, and lay it down.

Fine 4s

I believe I have a lil' breakage from my flat twist formed into a bun.
I slept with the bun pinned with bobby pins for about a month.
I knew what I MIGHT be causing but clearly didn't do anything about it.....