Breakage in nape (i.e. The Kitchen)

csmoot

This is the worse area on my head. It gets very thick and unmanagable around week 5 (after relaxer) and it breaks so easily and I burn so quickly back there.

I know that a lot of you talk about your nape not being as long as the rest of your hair. But my concern is that my nape area is a bit worse and bigger area than others.

What things have people done to prevent breakage in that area and help it grow.

Another question- I have a couple more weeks until I get my relaxer. Since I tend to burn back there first- is it a good idea to put relaxer on there last instead of first as most beauticians tend to do. :confused:

mzhotniz86

girl I have the same exact problem and mine seem to get worse and worse and almost seems as if the problem is "spreading" to the area above it. they say no ponytails and keep that area moisturized often. also after your relaxer , have them (if possible) trim the splits off that area just a little so when your newgrowth comes in , it wont continue to matt and break

Junonia

csmoot said:
This is the worse area on my head. It gets very thick and unmanagable around week 5 (after relaxer) and it breaks so easily and I burn so quickly back there.

I know that a lot of you talk about your nape not being as long as the rest of your hair. But my concern is that my nape area is a bit worse and bigger area than others.

Another question- I have a couple more weeks until I get my relaxer. Since I tend to burn back there first- is it a good idea to put relaxer on there last instead of first as most beauticians tend to do. :confused:

I have the same problem. I sleep with a satin scarf at night and I secure it with a bobby pin to make sure it does not slide off a night. I used to sleep with a satin bonnet but the elastic would always ride up around my nape and it caus my nape more damage. I wear a satin scarf over the collar of my wool coat to minimize breakage. I'm trying to not comb as much and I def. apply the relaxer last to my nape. I've been trimming my nape to even if off some.

csmoot

mzhotniz86 said:
girl I have the same exact problem and mine seem to get worse and worse and almost seems as if the problem is "spreading" to the area above it. they say no ponytails and keep that area moisturized often. also after your relaxer , have them (if possible) trim the splits off that area just a little so when your newgrowth comes in , it wont continue to matt and break

Thanks. I never thought about that but yes I have these couple of hairs just hanging on to this thick new growth.

And I have been feeling the same way about the problem spreading. Its like about 1 inch of the back of my head is not the same as the rest of my hair. I try my best to keep it moisturized and I try to keep ponys out- but I do work out and that is when I usually pony.

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
This has been a longstanding problem for me, but since being on LHCF I've been consistent to the point of obessesion with moisturizing (am and pm) and protecting the nape are, and the growth has taken off nicely. At t/u time, I relax it dead last, really only to smooth/texturize it and I keep it braided daily. I know it ain't cute, but hey, I'm on a mission and it really is working.

Misseyl

You guys might have heard this before but IMO, it's because those areas is/are/were overprocessed by stylist who apply the relaxer to those areas first. I notice when I get my hair done, that's the first palce they apply the relaxer. Now that I apply my own relaxer, my edges are making a comeback, especially my kitchen area...

IMFOCSD

csmoot said:

I have/had the same issue but i finally figured out what the problem was. I started relaxing every twelve weeks or so. I just put a relaxer/corrector in my hair yesterday after only 8 weeks but my roots were so thick, dry and underproccessed. The key is to make sure to apply relaxer to your nape last and only for a few minutes. I started washing/co-washing every 1-3 days, I started applying moisture to that area 1-2 times daily and it is now the longest it has ever been (about the middle of my neck). The breakage back there has stopped also. So yeah, make sure you tell your stylist to put the relaxer on your nape last for a few minutes. No ponytails that are pulling at your nape and most importantly moisture, moisture and more moisture!:yep: ;)

Last edited:

Divalicious

I used to have this problem and it was pointed out to me by a stylist. She asked me how I wear my hair at night and asked if I wear my headtie tied at the back (nape), I said that I did and she said that was the culprit.

She told me to tie it at the front of my head in a loose knot and the breakage at the nape stopped completely and started to fill in. I also sleep on a satin pillow and this has helped a lot.

sunshyne_krissy

My fiance has the same problem. He is relaxed and I do it for him. I never put the relaxer on his nape first but for some reason it keeps giving him problems. Lots of breakage and dryness and thinning out. I have started using a different approach by:
only leaving the relaxer in for a few minutes back there
making sure that when I braid it, its not too tight. (he wears cornrows)
I dust his ends back there more frequently
tell him to moisturize daily and keep oil on the ends.

I can see a major improvement since we've started this new regimen.:p

janeemat

I always had a short broken kitchen until I started stretching my relaxers to 12wks. Now it is much thicker and longer. I also moisturize it morning, noon and night. I'm always playing with it and pulling it, because I can't believe how much it has grown. Even my edges are much longer than they have ever been. I read a thread where some of the ladies are getting their kitchen relaxed every other relaxer. Taking MSM also has made it much softer.