Brush on wet edges/smoothing

Rezgirl

After you cowash and detangle with a wide tooth comb are you smoothing the top with a brush before protective styling? I am using a brush to form a nice smooth bun and I wonder if this is ok or not...

BeetleBug

I think over some time, it may cause thinning of the edges. But I guess it depends on what kind of brush you are using and how you handle your edges with the brush.

Butterfly08

hello....hello...hello....can anyone hear me....hear me.... hear me.... :look:
bumping...

LOL

I used to wet brush with a haaaaard boar bristle brush and my hair did start to thin. I have very thick hair though, so it takes a lot of damage for my hair to get noticeably thin. In fact, I didn't notice the effects until I stopped. :perplexed

Now, I cowash several times a week. Typically I slick my hair back into a bun and tie down with a scarf once I get out of the shower (I do not brush or comb). The scarf flattens my hair but it still has a lot of little waves. When I don't have time to cowash the next day, I brush it then (it's pretty much dry) and add more conditioner. It works out well. By day 2, my hair is very soft and smooth. :yep:

almondjoi85

I don't use a brush. Instead I use a scarf... just tie it on like a headband (real close to your forehead) then once it's on tight slide it back just a little bit. I usually do this on damp hair to smooth down my edges. I used to use Let's Jam! as my gel but now if my edges are really wild I'll use a little aloe vera gel then do the scarf thing.

trj1922

Be careful with this. My edges are just about gone. I don't perm, get micros or any other usual suspect. The only thing I've done is the brush and gel thing. If you can use a soft pure boar bristle brush sparingly on dry hair and then tie with a scarf to maintain, do that instead!