BSL by Dec 2011

mrs.melton08

This is my first post, so I am being rather ambitious, but I want to join.

I have natural 3B hair that I have been blowing out and flat ironing for years (well my beautician has) but this summer, I embraced my curly texture and have been wearing my curls naturally and would love for my natural culy hair to be between SL and APL so this is the pefect challenge for me.

I am currently 7.5 months pregnant thojugh so I might find the need to change alot of things with products and goal after a few months of seeing if my hair changes much post partum.

I have to take pics and all of that. I am just grazing shoulder length right now with my hair stretched out.

Eluv

I want in :)

What's your regimen?
Moisturize and seal daily
DC 2x week
PS 95%,
Maintain Protein/Moisture balance
Relaxer stretching 16 weeks

What Products are you using?
Relaxer: Mizani BB system
DC: SE Megasilk Olive
Leave ins: NTM, Aphogee Prov & Green tee
Moisturizer: NTM, SE Silken Child
Oils: EVOO, EVCO, JBCO
Protein: Aphogee 2min & 2step
Shampoo: Aphogee deep moisture & Aphogee for damaged hair

What are you specifically doing to achieve BSL in 2011?
Sticking to my regimen consistently

In what month are you hoping to achieve BSL?
Nov 2011

Please include a Starting pic:

WaistLengthDreams

What Products are you using?: I'm basically trying to use up a stash of products so there's no set products at the moment, I just use whatever I feel like. I will be dropping in to recommend good conditioners though. :grin::grin:

Can't wait to hear your recommendations! I'm in the market for some more conditioners. I used to have a stash of DCs, but now I've only got Nexxus Humectress. I recently purchased AO HSR. I'll be trying that out for a few washes before I make my decision as to whether it's a keeper.

personally, i have to say "thank you" for starting this challenge so early because now, i already feel less "pressure" about the BSL 2010 challenge i'm in for this year!
it's like all that stress has been removed and i can go back to being grateful for the growth i've already got, instead of holding my breath, trying to make it by this december, lol!

Aww, you're welcome, grow. No pressure here! You've made amazing progress so far, I'm sure you'll reach BSL in 2011!!! :cup:

This is my first post, so I am being rather ambitious, but I want to join.

I have natural 3B hair that I have been blowing out and flat ironing for years (well my beautician has) but this summer, I embraced my curly texture and have been wearing my curls naturally and would love for my natural culy hair to be between SL and APL so this is the pefect challenge for me.

I am currently 7.5 months pregnant thojugh so I might find the need to change alot of things with products and goal after a few months of seeing if my hair changes much post partum.

I have to take pics and all of that. I am just grazing shoulder length right now with my hair stretched out.

:welcome4: and :congrats: on the baby on the way! Good luck to you on this challenge!!

mzsophisticated26

I want in eventhough I still have 1.5 inches until I reach APL.

What's your regimen? Weekly wash and DC for atleast 45mins with heat. I wear protective styles for most of the month(wigs and buns or banana clips). I only use direct heat on my hair about 2-3times a month when I rollerset and flat iron. I sometimes baggy my ends under my wigs or buns.

Elasta QP creme conditioning poo, Avalon Organics Biotin b complex poo or KeraCare weave and extension poo, silk elements luxury moisturizing conditioner, Keracare Humecto cond, Aphogee 2min recontructor, Joico K-pak conditioner, Suave clarifying poo, Silk elements leave in creme, CHI keratin mist, Hot six oil, One n' only Argan oil, Organix coconut milk anti breakage serum, Elasta QP h-two, Nioxxin Thermal Bliss and Scurl

I am limiting direct heat on my strands and baby my ends to make sure I dont have any breakage. I am also transitioning so if I dont stick with it then I will continue texlaxing but only every 14-16wks.

I am hoping to achieve BSB in April 2011

Please include a Starting pic: This is a pic I took in july

Last edited:

chasturner84

Hello my fellow BSL-ers!

What's your regimen? Stretch my relaxers 16-18 weeks, clarify monthly, co wash once a week, shampoo on the weekend (alternating protein and moisturizing products weekly), DC weekly with heat, moisturize and seal daily, PS at least 5-6 days/week, continue with NO DIRECT HEAT, dust bi-monthly, trim when needed, protect hair nightly

What Products are you using? Protein Products: Shampoo-AO GPB; Condish-ApHogee 2 min; ApHogee 2 step (every 8 weeks) Moisturizing Products: Shampoo-Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo; Condish- Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner; DC: Mix of ApHogee 2 min, Kenra MC, and oil of choice; Other Products: Co Wash condish- AO Island Naturals; Leave in- GVP Condish; Seal with WGO; Moisturize with Scurl or Wave Nouveau; Silicon Mix when I'm at least 10 weeks post

What are you specifically doing to achieve BSL in 2011? Being gentle with my hair. I will increase my water intake, continue to exercise and eat healthy foods. I may start a light vitamin reggie

In what month are you hoping to achieve BSL? Dec 2011 will be fine. Anything before will be FANTASTIC! I want to give myself the entire year to reach BSL in the event of a bad trim and/or setback (Nooooooo!)

Please include a Starting pic (from June-10 weeks post):
]

I haven't officially claimed APL, and will need about 4 inches next year to acheive BSL...I think

Last edited:

Aireen

Can't wait to hear your recommendations! I'm in the market for some more conditioners. I used to have a stash of DCs, but now I've only got Nexxus Humectress. I recently purchased AO HSR. I'll be trying that out for a few washes before I make my decision as to whether it's a keeper.

I can actually recommend a few right now once I get some of the products together then I'll just come back to review anything new that I've bought and tried from time to time. :yep:

chasturner84

OMG Chas your hair has grown, you'll be BSL soon! Fabulous achievement girl! :yep:

Oh thanks! I really can't see the length now because shrinkage is killing me at 14 weeks but I hope I can successfully inch my way to BSL in 2011. Having a long neck and back makes me want to :fistshake: sometimes. LOL!

Your avi pic shows some gorgeous hair, Cream...you're moving right along:auto: to BSL yourself!!

My-Foolish-Heart

I'm in!!! I'm hoping to APL by this December so this is the next logical step.

What's your regimen? I practice mainly Crown and Glory as part of the Braid Challenge. When not in braids, I use half wigs. Also moisturize and seal 1-2 times daily. I apply a sulfur mix (Boundless Tresses or Bee Mine mixed with JBCO and Peppermint Oil) to my scalp every other day. Wash my hair weekly. DC 2 times per week. Relax hair every 4-6 months. Trim hair every 6 months.

What Products are you using? I use a combo of products from Joico. Also have some Dominican conditioners (namely Silicon Mix) and a clarifying shampoo from Lush (Big). Use moisturizers from Mizani (Rose H20 and the Nighttime Treatment). Use Proclaim Natural 7 Oil (seal) and Chi Silk Infusion (heat protection).

What are you specifically doing to achieve BSL in 2011? Protective Styles and Stretching my relaxers

In what month are you hoping to achieve BSL? I am aiming for August, but would be completely happy with December.

Aireen

Product Reviews/Recommendations Time! :grin:

Okay so I said when joining this challenge that I was using a stash of products but I don't have a set order that I use them in but I'd recommend them to this thread. Well here they are, these are just some that I'm using in an odd rotation at the moment before I buy anything new. Product junkies like myself can try these out. I live in Canada so availability and prices of products may vary. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. These are all my experiences so results may vary. HHG! ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SOFTSOAP Aloe Vera Moisturizing Hand Soap: I use this as a shampoo even though it's hand soap after my mother told me that she uses it on her face and it's so gentle that it doesn't burn her eyes. It's super creamy, milky, and leaves my hair SOFTER than before washing it even though my "dirty" hair would have been lubricated with natural oils. Someone else on LHCF has used it too on her natural hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=466844&highlight= I buy the huge almost 2L bottles of this stuff for multi-purpose use for under $5 CAD.

JOICO K-PAK Reconstruct Conditioner: Runny conditioner that spreads easily so a little goes a long way. I paid $10 CAD for a 300ml bottle but some places sell for $15+. Since it does last long the price isn't a big thing for me and the results are worth it. It has protein but it says it's safe enough for daily use, I don't use it every time I wash my hair though. The protein only comes up first as the 8th ingredient so it should be okay for anyone that washes or co-washes everyday/every other day. Anyway, it leaves my hair shiny, strong, and soft to the touch when dry. I will say that it doesn't leave my hair overly soft or super detangled after washing so I don't use it when I have new growth. I will be buying this again whenever I feel like going back to it after it's used up but just like me, you might have to find a way it works for you to get maximum results.

Alberto VO5 Hot Protein Moisturizing Intensive Crème Treatment: Comes in a box with 3 cute packets. One packet is intended for each use. After shampooing take the packet and place it in a cup of hot water for 1 minute to activate the product for maximum results. Leave on your hair for 5-10 minutes. <- A little direction since it's not like every ordinary conditioner. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I was going to make a separate thread for this but here is good enough. I can't stress how much I love these things! My hairdresser overlaps and went overboard this time for my last touch up, that combined with high heat for the flat-ironing styling just reeks disaster. I love her and all but I was scared my hair was going to break off if I didn't use some sort of intense treatment on it after my next wash. Thankfully I didn't have that problem though; I used this and my hair felt like pure SILK with no tangles and NO breakage. If none of you try any of the products I've mentioned I highly suggest you try this one (and the one below). The smell of this is really nice and subtle, leaves my hair VERY soft and manageable. Hydrolyzed Collagen is the 4th ingredient so it really is an "intensive" treatment that I wouldn't use every week, maybe after every relaxer or whenever I feel my hair needs it. This product has replaced Aphogee since I got it for $3 CAD versus $25+ I have to pay for the 2-Step treatment. I'm not saying this will replace Aphogee for YOU but it did for me and at $3-$5 CAD, this will definitely be a staple and I WON'T be going back to Aphogee since I got better results with this. LOVE IT! :lick:

Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor: Okay, I'm always going around mentioning this product but it's also superb and has also replaced Aphogee 2-Step. Shampoo then leave this in for 3-5 minutes according to the instructions. No breakage afterwards and even if you have a heavy shrub of new growth coming in, this will soften that to make detangling a breeze. Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Collagen is the 6th ingredient so I don't recommend using this every week; I only use this consecutively when the new growth is too much to handle because I try to decrease washing and any manipulation to my hair at this time. The most I would use this in a row would be twice, then switch to a VERY moisturizing conditioner like Aussie Moist and go back to this. I do try to use this before my relaxer as a kind of barrier to protect my hair before my touch up. I will mention though that the smell AFTER your hair is dry smells kind of old... Almost as if your hair and scalp are NOW starting to get the musty, stinky smell that you get when it's time to wash your hair; that's the only downside but the pros make up for it.

SHECARE Deep Reconstructor Mask: Thick and creamy, $10 for a 300ml tube. The smell is something like men's cologne and is very strong, I would say the scent is stronger than HE conditioners and lingers for days. :lick: I've only seen this in Shopper's Drug Mart here in Canada so anyone in the U.S. may need to look around if you're interested in buying. It has Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten and Protein which are supposed to help your hair better hold moisture and maintain moisture. Also, since these two ingredients are lower down on the list and after fragrance you can use it every week with no problem. Keeps my hair soft after I rinse it out and detangling is made easy. Now to the downside, I like my hair to be easy to run my fingers through, none of that sticking in the middle nonsense when dry. If I'm planning to go out THAT day my hair will look silky and smooth but it won't be like run-your-fingers-through-it-hair. Don't get me wrong, it's not to the point where my fingers are stuck in my hair but it's not to the point where I would want to play in it all the time. If I wait about 2 days before leaving my hair down and just keep it in a bun or wrapped up for the time being, there is a dramatic difference in the look and feel. I WILL be able to play in it and won't be able to stop and also will dazzle due to the amount of shine. :look: So it depends on you and what you want to do, if you don't play in your hair like me then you won't have my problem, if you do touch your hair a lot, wait a day or two before leaving your hair down.

chasturner84

SOFTSOAP Aloe Vera Moisturizing Hand Soap: I use this as a shampoo even though it's hand soap after my mother told me that she uses it on her face and it's so gentle that it doesn't burn her eyes. It's super creamy, milky, and leaves my hair SOFTER than before washing it even though my "dirty" hair would have been lubricated with natural oils. Someone else on LHCF has used it too on her natural hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=466844&highlight= I buy the huge almost 2L bottles of this stuff for multi-purpose use for under $5 CAD.

:ohsnap:Got some of this in my bathroom now....:look: Great info Aireen!

Hi OP, thanks a lot for adding me to your challenge :D. I just realised I didn't follow the template, sorry :look:. My hair is in twists right now, and I want to wait till I take them out to do a length check, and also do a bit of tweaking of my regimen, so I will give my full join info asap within the next week probably :yep:

WaistLengthDreams

Hi OP, thanks a lot for adding me to your challenge :D. I just realised I didn't follow the template, sorry :look:. My hair is in twists right now, and I want to wait till I take them out to do a length check, and also do a bit of tweaking of my regimen, so I will give my full join info asap within the next week probably :yep:

Don't sweat it. The template is just a guide. Plus it's mainly just a ploy :sekret: so I can see what all you lovely ladies are doing with your hair. :yep:

WaistLengthDreams

Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor: Okay, I'm always going around mentioning this product but it's also superb and has also replaced Aphogee 2-Step. Shampoo then leave this in for 3-5 minutes according to the instructions. No breakage afterwards and even if you have a heavy shrub of new growth coming in, this will soften that to make detangling a breeze. Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Collagen is the 6th ingredient so I don't recommend using this every week; I only use this consecutively when the new growth is too much to handle because I try to decrease washing and any manipulation to my hair at this time. The most I would use this in a row would be twice, then switch to a VERY moisturizing conditioner like Aussie Moist and go back to this. I do try to use this before my relaxer as a kind of barrier to protect my hair before my touch up. I will mention though that the smell AFTER your hair is dry smells kind of old... Almost as if your hair and scalp are NOW starting to get the musty, stinky smell that you get when it's time to wash your hair; that's the only downside but the pros make up for it.

Thanks for the reviews Aireen! Keep them coming!
Quick Question: I just finished my Aphogee 2 step yesterday and I wanted to replace it with something else (cheaper). Do you think this is as strong a protein as the Aphogee 2 step?

TIA!

Aireen

Thanks for the reviews Aireen! Keep them coming!
Quick Question: I just finished my Aphogee 2 step yesterday and I wanted to replace it with something else (cheaper). Do you think this is as strong a protein as the Aphogee 2 step?

TIA!

Since Aphogee 2-Step (from what I know when I used it) has keratin or animal proteins (forgot which one, also because it's said that the product has changed) and those are the strongest, to straight out answer your question, no it's not. The only one that I know that is stronger than Aphogee is one that Dudley's makes but that is ALSO expensive. (It also depends on ingredient placement and I know Aphogee 2-Step has the protein as the first or second ingredient so either way.)

Despite this, collagen actually helps with the elasticity of the hair strand so to be honest, I like the results the Motions formula gives me more. With Aphogee I STILL saw breakage even though my hair felt stronger, I guess the very weak parts when I used to use Aphogee couldn't hold up. With Motions, I got the strength and I got my hair to be able to stretch more in the weak areas so I didn't have breakage and if I got I would have to be doing something accidental like yanking.

For me, it's all about what works, doesn't matter if it's expensive or if it's stronger, it matters if it is able to sit there and WORK for my hair. So even though, Motions isn't as strong it WORKS for me better than Aphogee. Same with the Alberto VO5 treatment. So they are a good replacement because they're much cheaper, less mess, I can use Motions more often (every 2-4 weeks depending) than every 6-8 weeks if I feel like instead of waiting, and I get better results. :yep:

Aireen

just a thought, how does the Motions compare with the Dudley's DRC 28?

thanks!

Never tried it. Haha so I don't know, I was just saying that it's the only one that I know that's stronger than Aphogee 2-Step that's also expensive if not MORE expensive but to me it's not necessary if you're on a budget because there are alternatives. Plus I'm not into strong harsh treatments, they don't benefit my hair as much as milder ones. I do know caribeandiva likes it, here's her thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=10922094

This might also benefit you: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=2158

Hope I helped. :look:

grow

Never tried it. Haha so I don't know, I was just saying that it's the only one that I know that's stronger than Aphogee 2-Step that's also expensive if not MORE expensive but to me it's not necessary if you're on a budget because there are alternatives. Plus I'm not into strong harsh treatments, they don't benefit my hair as much as milder ones. I do know caribeandiva likes it, here's her thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=10922094

This might also benefit you: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=2158

Hope I helped. :look:

thank you so much for the very helpful information, Aireen!
btw, i LOVE your avi!:yep:

Nelli04

I was in the BSL 2010 challenge, but some minor setbacks have made it impossible for me to make that goal.

So now I plan to be bsl in Feb of 2011...so I WANT TO JOIN! :)

Nelli04

What's your regimen?
-Wash my hair 1x/week
-Wear Braids/Twists for 5 days out of the week and Braidouts/Twistouts for 2 days
-No heat until Feb 2011
- Use leave-ins every other day (3x/ week)
Roux Porosity Control Shampoo and Conditioner (I only use them 2x a month, so every other wash)
VO5 Moisture Milk shampoo
VO5 Green Tea Shampoo
Mane and Tale Detangler and Conditioner
Lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol plus
Silk elements megasilk conditoner mayo
It's a 10 leave-in
Coconut Oil
L'Occitane Repairing Serum
No heat is what I feel will help the most and making sure my hair is always moisturized.
I am also trying to eat better and I am exercising regularly.
I also did 2 trims in July because I have a lot of heat damaged hair from when I used to go to the salon.
And just keeping my hair regimen simple is also key.
I hope to be BSL by Feb 2011 (the next time I straighten my hair)
Please include a Starting pic:
I'll take a starting pic when I officially make APL in the back, which is in August. :)

whoo just had my mom check and I have about 3.5 inches til I am bsl!! which I thought it was much more.

Last edited: