BSL/MBL...I'm soo confused : (

Ms_Twana

First of all....why is it called bra STRAP length anyway?? The straps sit on our shoulders. It's the BAND that goes around our backs and that the hair is measured against. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :lachen:

Okay, on to my confusion. Alright. According to this chart below, bra BAND length :lachen:should be about where our nipple is (can I say that word??) Well, that's not where my bra band sits. MY bra band sits where it says mid-back should be. Actually, it's probably lower. When I look at my back, there is more back ABOVE my bra than there is BELOW my bra. It seems like it would be like that on the chart below too. See how close mid-back is to waist-length and how far it is from shoulder length. It's not truely mid-back then.

Right now, I have NO IDEA what my actual goal length is according to names and stuff. I know where I want my hair to come to on my back. But it's actually ABOVE my bra band. And I think that spot is MY true MID-BACK.

Does any of that makes sense?? :spinning:

2552l9c.jpg

Last edited:
Go with where your shoulder blade ends that will give you a better length check point. Shoulder blades don't move up or down like the breasts can.

Shoulder blade should be a few more inches higher than the middle of your back or mid back.

Last edited:
First of all....why is it called bra STRAP length anyway?? The straps sit on our shoulders. It's the BAND that goes around our backs and that the hair it measured against. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :lachen:

Okay, on to my confusion. Alright. According to this chart below, bra BAND length :lachen:should be about where our nipple is (can I say that word??) Well, that's not where my bra band sits. MY bra band sits where it says mid-back should be. Actually, it's probably lower. When I look at my back, there is more back ABOVE my bra than there is BELOW my bra. It seems like it would be like that on the chart below too. See how close mid-back is to waist-length and how far it is from shoulder length. It's not truely mid-back then.

Right now, I have NO IDEA what my actual goal length is according to names and stuff. I know where I want my hair to come to on my back. But it's actually ABOVE my bra band. And I think that spot is MY true MID-BACK.

Does any of that makes sense?? :spinning:

2552l9c.jpg

You have me cracking up at the bolded. :lachen:I understand what you are saying. I wear the majority of my bras low too. We are supposed to wear our bras below the shoulder blades (BSB). If I were to go based upon BSL; my hair would be almost MBL. I would get frustrated thinking that it is taking a long time. I broke my goals up into: BSB, BSL, MBL, and maybe WL. It keeps me motivated. I've already made BSB, and am on my way to BSL. I should hit BSL in Dec. It won't take me long at all to get to MBL once I get to BSL.

Go with where your shoulder blade ends that will give you a better length check point. Should blades don't move up or down like the breasts can.

Shoulder blade should be a few more inches higher than the middle of your back or mid back.

Girl, I've got too much back fat to know where my shoulder blade ends!! :lachen:

ETA: I found it, I found it!!! Okay. Well my bra definitely sits where MBL is then, cuz it's a few inches bsb. So bsl is REALLY mbl for me. So, I've been chasing a false goal all this time. MBL wasn't really a goal for me. Granted, I wouldn't mind having mbl hair, but it wasn't what my goal was. With that being said, I think my hair may actually be where I've been wanting it to be. I haven't straightened it since June. But when I use my hyh challenge pass in a couple of weeks I'll know. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Last edited:
Very good points OP and makes so much sense. By the look of the diagram it appears that the BSL is measured by/at the top of the band. This length can vary for different ppl based on many factors i.e. height, short body, wearing correct bra size etc. I used to work in a department store as a teen in the lingerie section so I know a little about correct bra size fitting. If we are wearing the correct bra size then (for most of us) the band should be in line with the lower part of our breasts (giving the breasts a lift into the cup) and should be straight all the way round if that makes sense (difficult to word right), for most of us that would actually be MBL. Some of us have naturally higher breasts this would make BSL shorter than for those who do not and if you have a short body with high breasts I could see that BSL could be the equivilance of SL for most other people.

I have a short body, a naturally high chest and wear my correct bra size, BSL for me would really be MBL, almost waist length!

I don't know whether that makes sense to anybody but it really all boils back down to the age old addage "different strokes for different folkes"!

looks like there is a huge difference between MBL and WL. at MBL now, WL seems like forever away according to that pic, lol!

thank you for sharing this picture. i saved it. have been looking for something like this!

Good point. I wear my bra higher than most so it's only 3-4 inches from APL to BSL on me. All I'm focused on is APL, any more length than that is gravy!

You have me cracking up at the bolded. :lachen:I understand what you are saying. I wear the majority of my bras low too. We are supposed to wear our bras below the shoulder blades (BSB). If I were to go based upon BSL; my hair would be almost MBL. I would get frustrated thinking that it is taking a long time. I broke my goals up into: BSB, BSL, MBL, and maybe WL. It keeps me motivated. I've already made BSB, and am on my way to BSL. I should hit BSL in Dec. It won't take me long at all to get to MBL once I get to BSL.

That's a good idea:yep:

I think if your hair touches your breast, then you're bsl..under your breast = mbl..dependiong on how low they hang...lol...

my actual "midback" is bsl too, but for hair board purposes when i refer to midback i pick the spot in between bsl and wsl. so on me ( long torso) bsl is 6 inches from underarm length,
waist is 10 inches and mbl ill measure at 8 inches for the board even though my true midback is at 6 and a half inches.

hip length is a mere 2 inches from waist on me. so at least thats one goal i know i should be able to get to lol.

I think if your hair touches your breast, then you're bsl..under your breast = mbl..dependiong on how low they hang...lol...

:lachen::lachen::lachen:@ da bolded.

That's a good way to look at at. Under my breast is definitely mbl for me.

Silver....you had NO hair last year....and look at you now!!!! :thud: :worship2: I am too Jay!!!

Last edited:
I'm so glad you posted this because I have the same dilemna. Bra BAND length on me is closer to MBL as well, so maybe we're BSL after all? Hopefully? lol. I'm beyond APL but I haven't claimed BSL yet for that one reason.

I'll claim LTAPLBNQMBL (Longer Than APL But Not Quite MBL) :lachen:

I'm so glad you posted this because I have the same dilemna. Bra BAND length on me is closer to MBL as well, so maybe we're BSL after all? Hopefully? lol. I'm beyond APL but I haven't claimed BSL yet for that one reason.

I'll claim LTAPLBNQMBL (Longer Than APL But Not Quite MBL) :lachen:

ABSOLUTELY!!! I made APL in February, I believe. So if I ain't made bsl 4 inches later (I'm just guessing from the "average").....I'm jumping off the world's tallest building!!! :lachen:

Back