~Budget Friendly, Store Bought Products For Naturals!!

SignatureBeauty

Hiya!!!! I know that alot of new Naturals & New Natural Teens whose parents do not allow them to order online or will not pay $16.00 for an 8oz. product cannot afford to purchase hair products online and it can lead to SERIOUS FRUSTRATION and then they end up relaxing again, I think the Number one Problem is Dryness for most of us, Now I use Qhemet Heavy Cream as a moisturizer and that is all I can afford to purchase online everything else I get from the BSS or Walmart.

So if you all don't mind please name some good cheap products that people can go get from there local store to help them on there Natural Journey, Please make sure they can go get them in the BSS or Walmart or Other Fine Stores.
I will start:

S-curl (which I dilute)
Creme Of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo(Yellow Cap/Old Formula)
Suave Humectant Conditioner
Coconut Oil
Infusium Leave In (which I dilute)
Pantene 5 minute strengthing deep conditoner mask

That is all I can think of others will chime in and help, I know Dryness was my issue 95% of the time and it drove my crazy:wallbash: not finding things to use to help it, because ordering online can become quite expensive if you really can't afford to purchase on a regular basis, but if you want to treat yourself then go ahead and save the good stuff for special occassions!!:grin:

Last edited:
Hmm. There's nothing I can recommend from the BSS (pretty much all crap that hides the problem, doesn't really fix it) or Walmart (I don't shop there on principle).

From grocery stores, I'd say coconut oil or olive oil. Can be used for pre-poos, detangling, and added to conditioners.

Walgreens/cvs/duane reade/target all have a good selection of things like V05 conditioners (less than 1$ and can be used for cowashing, leave in, detangling), the yes to carrots line, giovanni, and lots of other stuff. With the cvs card and buying things on sale you can get a lot of stuff for super cheap.

If their family shops at Whole Foods then the Whole Foods brand conditioner is a great buy (32oz for 3$). Also, Aubrey Organics (it is 10$ a bottle but highly concentrated and you don't have to use much).

Oh and if they have access to costco/bj's, their brand conditioner is pretty good as well and is also super cheap (like 6$ for 64oz or something like that).

Cheap quality products under 5$

The Hair products in Trader Joes are really priced well and good for your hair.

The whole VO5 conditioner line which you can get everywhere including the 99 cent stores

Scout around your area for Indian Markets, they have a lot of the ayurvedic items and coconut and ghee that are really really cheap.

This is a great thread even if you are NOT a teenager. Folks are trying to be budget sensitive.

Last edited:
This is a really good idea for a thread. Unfortunately, all I can think of that hasn't been said already is:

ORS Replenishing Pak

still thinking. what's cheap.....? :scratchch

ETA: Oh! There are several items in the Kids Organics line that might be worth it. Their Moisturizing Lotion is pretty good. If you're lucky, you can buy it along with free samples of their other products.

Still thinking.

Aloe Vera plant for $1 - $2. 100% Pure Shea Butter $5 for 1/2 lb. Suave & or V05 shampoo and conditioner (sulfate free) $2 - $3. Having healthy beautiful hair without having to break the budget - priceless! :yep:

Aww! Thank you ladies, I hope this helps someone that is on a budget find decent hair care products, I am a Walmart fan and shop there all the time for my conditioners and s-curl and whatever else I need.

I saw the Thread for Cheap Under $5, but I just thought one for Naturals would be ok, if not I do apologize.

Last edited:
I've got hordes of reviews on drugstore products of all prices $10 and below. Suave, Organix, Herbal Essence, Pantene, Garnier, included in my blog.

Aww! Thank you ladies, I hope this helps someone that is on a budget find decent hair care products, I am a Walmart fan and shop there all the time for my conditioners and s-curl and whatever else I need.

I saw the Thread for Cheap Under $5, but I just thought one for Naturals would be ok, if not I do apologize.

No need to apologize. I just thought that thread would be a good reference. I haven't seen many hair care products that only work on naturals or only work on relaxed heads, so I thought it would help.

Aloe Vera plant for $1 - $2. 100% Pure Shea Butter $5 for 1/2 lb. Suave & or V05 shampoo and conditioner (sulfate free) $2 - $3. Having healthy beautiful hair without having to break the budget - priceless! :yep:

How are you using the plant? I buy the juice/gel but I would love to have my own readily available.

Lustrasilk Cholesterols
Honey [Grocery stores. Make sure its honey and not syrup (sugar added)]
Henna (Indian grocers)
Apple cider vinegar (grocery stores)
Elasta QP mango butter (bss)
African Pride (?) BRX braid spray
HH LTR condish
Castor oil- I use the clear kind and get great results. Found at the Indian grocer too.
V05 MM
Olive Oil
ORS replenishing packs
Coconut oil

Instead of eliminating cones, I limit them, since I don't have a health food store in town. I order very little online and I'm frugal, so I've tried alot in this category. I'll add more as I think of them.

I definitely want to second Lustrasilk Cholesterol. It's good for deep conditioning, detangling, and even co-washing. It also lasts a long time, and I use a lot each time.

Le kair cholesterol
ElastaQp creme conditioning shampoo
Africa's best herbal oil all cheap and effective.

I definitely want to second Lustrasilk Cholesterol. It's good for deep conditioning, detangling, and even co-washing. It also lasts a long time, and I use a lot each time.

I'm definitely going to pick this up the next time I go to the beauty supply store.

i use:
african shea butter
black soap
coconut oil
olive oil
honey
giovanni deeper moisture conditioner
giovanni direct leave in

i get all of the above from local bss and target. you can find the oils in the grocery store .

The only other things I can think of that have not yet been mentioned are:
Organic blackstrap molasses
Bicarbonate of soda

Le kair cholesterol
ElastaQp creme conditioning shampoo
Africa's best herbal oil all cheap and effective.

These are my permanent secondary staples. I highly recommend these products, and they are very inexpensive and they do the job.:grin:

Last edited:
S-Curl
Alba Botanica leave-in {love, love love it!}
Coconut oil
Shea butter
Keo-Karpin Oil
Suave and VO5 conditioners
Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol-it's a leave in but you have to read the back to know that {so good to my twist ends}

great thread..i spend less than 15 bucks for products a month

shea butter-5 bucks a pound
eco gel big 32 ounce (last me a couple months)-4 bucks
herbal oil-2 bucks
water-free
white rain/suave/v05-1 buck(usually get 2)
avc-89 cent
baking soda for clarifying- 55 cent

all of these youcan find at target, duane reade or wholefoods. the majority of these are inexpensive, other's like ao are a little pricier, but well worth it. hth

aussie moist (best value -- tried & true -- big bottle)
trader joe's nourish spa (best price)
trader joe's essential herbal conditioner (best price)
aphogee intensive keratin reconstructor (super slip newbie)
tresemme vitamin e moisture rich (best value -- big bottle)
vitamin e & aloe color revitalize conditioner (best value -- big bottle)
thermal recovery replenishing conditioner (best value -- big bottle)
sally's generic value products (sgvp) concentrated leave-in treatment -- (their version of sebastian potion 9)
sgvp detangler -- (version of paul mitchell the detangler)
garnier fructis curl & shine fortifying cream (good value)
target pro-vitain conditioner w amino proteins (cheapie but goodie)
aubrey organics gpb (the best all natural moisture & slip)
yes-to-cucumbers (great newbie)
yes-to-carrots (great newbie)
aubrey organics rosa mosqueta (the best all natural moisture & slip)
aubrey organics white camellia (the best all natural moisture & slip)
sheago nzinga (newbie)
suave humectant conditioner (cheapie no-poo)
sgvp smoothing conditioner -- (compare to matrix sleek look conditioner)
deva curl one condition (not cheap but great slip)
trader joe's 99% pure aloe vera gel (not technically a conditioner but too good to pass up)
suave awapuhi conditioner (cheapie but goodie)
suave biobasics (cheapie but goodie)
wave nouveau finishing mist
wave nouveau finishing lotion
extra virgiin olive oil
coconut oil

WOW!! TKJ25 you have alot LOL!! Thank you all for helping us out, some things I never even thought of LOL!!! I seen them but thought Nahhhhhh!

Thanks!!

Back