Bun Donut for the Ladies with Medium to Long Hair

Cincysweetie

Do any of you ladies with medium to long hair use the bun donut stuffer thingie for your buns? I attempted this, but I couldn't get the wrapping around the bun method down.

Afashionslave and DSD both have instructions in their fotkis if you all aren't sure of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Mija

Exotical OG
Nope I've never used a bun donut- sometimes my buns look great and sometimes they look like Olive Oyl;).

Cincysweetie

My buns always look bad, lol so I thought this might solve my bun problems. But I just couldn't get to work. I'm really interested to hear some tips on how it can work on medium to long hair. It was easy enough to make, but difficult for me to wrap the hair around the donut and camoflauge it.

Ladylynn

Instead of using the foam donut, try the donut that has hair around the ring. Get one that matches your hair color. After making the ponytail, slide the hole over the pony tail, and spread your real hair around the fake hair like you would a foam donut. These work best in my opinion, because you don't have to worry about hiding the entire foam. If a little fake hair shows through, it's okay, because it will look like your hair anyway. hth

renee_n_3000

Cincysweetie, have you tried making a bun just using your own hair by swirling the hair around and tucking it into itself either with no pins (my method) or with very gentle hair pins? I believe that is much gentler than using one of those foam buns and the ponytail holders I think women must use to tuck/hide the loose hair that sticks out of the middle of the foam piece. Also, it seems to me that if your hair is medium - long, you would really have to manipulate the hair a lot to get all of the 'loose ends' to fit behind the underside of the foam piece, resulting in a lot of cramming and possible breakage. (I hope I made sense there)

Last edited:

Cincysweetie

When I do buns...I put my hair in an ponytail holder, then I seperate the length down the middle and twist the pieces around each other. Then I twist the twisted length of my hair around the ponytail holder. It just comes out looking weird. Renee, I am going to have to try your suggestion b/c I'm on a two month bun challenge and I need to master the bun asap.

renee_n_3000

Cincysweetie said:
When I do buns...I put my hair in an ponytail holder, then I seperate the length down the middle and twist the pieces around each other. Then I twist the twisted length of my hair around the ponytail holder. It just comes out looking weird. Renee, I am going to have to try your suggestion b/c I'm on a two month bun challenge and I need to master the bun asap.

The method you described sounds pretty -- similar to a braided bun. :yep: