Bunning Tools?

davisbr88

Hi, ladies! (Happy Resurrection Sunday btw)
Anyway, I will be undertaking a period of bunning after I remove my twists in about 2 weeks, and I was wondering what tools people used for bunning?
I have thin hair so I am definitely not interested in using rubber bands or elastic bands because traditional buns look teeeeeeeeny on me and I'm also transitioning so I'm afraid they might break off my relaxed pony.
I am interested in trying the Southern Tease bun, and was wondering what people are using for those types of buns. Has anyone used this EZ-comb thing? If so, how did you like them? If not, what did you use instead? I noticed that she used a chopstick-type thing in her tutorial video but I don't want to do that because I'm clumsy and I know that chopstick would somehow or another end up jabbing the crap out of my head, and I have a sensitive scalp.

Attachments

• yhst-50958542405417_2100_35204986719.jpg
    yhst-50958542405417_2100_35204986719.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 18

danysedai

I use the Ez comb but not for bunning, more for an updo when I rollerset, or in a ponytail. For bunning I use a sock,but I've seen in other threads people using a claw or a stick. Dlewis has beautiful tools for buns. I have attempted the Southerntease bun but my hair is in layers and it doesn't look right,maybe I need more practice.

panamoni

Using a foam donut I got from the bss which I wrapped with braid hair has turned out to be my favorite thing to use for beautiful, full looking buns. Also recommend experimenting with high buns as my length is at the top/middle of my head.

Look at the Winter Bun challenge thread for more tips. They taught me to bun well.

davisbr88

Using a foam donut I got from the bss which I wrapped with braid hair has turned out to be my favorite thing to use for beautiful, full looking buns. Also recommend experimenting with high buns as my length is at the top/middle of my head.

Look at the Winter Bun challenge thread for more tips. They taught me to bun well.

Thanks for your response. I actually have one of those, too, but I am hoping to use my own hair for the bun. My hair is CBL but it's still too thin for that donut, and I don't want to use it until I can wrap my hair around it and not have foam poking out, which will probably not be until after I am fully natural. (Maybe it's a pride thing)
I was just wanting to know what people are using to close their buns if they are using the Southern Tease method, since I think that would be most beneficial for me. I have had extensions in since November with a small break in January and half of February, and I am about to do a 6-month HYH challenge, so I want to have my hair out when I'm doing the buns - give it a chance to breathe, you know?

~NanCeBoTwin~

I do the southern tease bun often, or atleast my version. You can check out my album here or online to see it with the various tools I've shown below:

I started out using a slightly bigger version of these:

But I recently purchased these and love them:

And I got two of these last weekend, and I've done it once or twice with them (I haven't uploaded a bun pic of this yet, but I will soon):

I have chopsticks, and they work well for a regular twisted up bun, but I can't seem to make them work with my Southern Tease bun....HTH

Last edited:

davisbr88

I do the southern tease bun often, or atleast my version. You can check out my album here or online to see it with the various tools I've shown below:

I started out using a slightly bigger version of these:

But I recently purchased these and love them:

And I got two of these last weekend, and I've done it once or twice with them (I haven't uploaded a bun pic of this yet, but I will soon):

I have chopsticks, and they work well for a regular twisted up bun, but I can't seem to make them work with my Southern Tease bun....HTH

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. You have a lot of beautiful hair by the way! I don't have nearly as much... :perplexed But I hope to make it work!
Where did you buy these? I feel like I have seen these at Walmart or the grocery store. I never thought those clips in the second picture could hold your hair all day. How big are they? Maybe I'm thinking about the ones that I used to put on the side of my hair to keep my hair back. Those were really small.

~NanCeBoTwin~

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. You have a lot of beautiful hair by the way! I don't have nearly as much... :perplexed But I hope to make it work!
Where did you buy these? I feel like I have seen these at Walmart or the grocery store. I never thought those clips in the second picture could hold your hair all day. How big are they? Maybe I'm thinking about the ones that I used to put on the side of my hair to keep my hair back. Those were really small.

Thank you.

You are thinking of the smaller version. I got these, the big ones from Walgreens. However, I have used the smaller ones to do this bun as well, but I don't have any pics of those days. I used two of the small ones on each side, I'd have to touch it up through out the day so it was ok. But I don't have this problem with these. I love them and they don't snag the hair at all.

Ijanei

Doing "The Southern Tease" in my hair, i just used regular bobby pins, it takes me about 3 tries, but it works, pic in my signature:grin:

isawstars

I use a small claw clip. The ones that are 1 inch and come in a pack of 4 or 6. Then I use "good hair day" pins around the bun (close to the scalp) to make sure everything will stay in place.

Last edited:

davisbr88

Doing "The Southern Tease" in my hair, i just used regular bobby pins, it takes me about 3 tries, but it works, pic in my signature:grin:

I will probably try this. It looks like we have about the same length hair with layers, so I guess that would work for me as well.

I use a small claw clip. The ones that are 1 inch and come in a pack of 4 or 6. Then I use "good hair day" pins around the bun to make sure it's everything will stay in place.

You're a good one! Those claw clips give me headaches... :wallbash:
What are good hair day pins?

davisbr88

i get them at sally's. sometimes i use the pin in place of the clip but it might be tricky since i can't show you.

Wow... That's interesting. Never seen that before. I'm confused as to how they work! But if I can get that many for under $3, I will definitely be trying to figure it out!
Thank you! :grin:

mrsjohnson75

Do these not give you a headache? Also, is your hair even or layered?
Thank you!

No, they don't give me a headache because its not pulled tightly and the claws of the clip is not digging into my scalp. Its just lightly gathering my hair.

My hair is even.

davisbr88

I've been eyeballing these pins! I'm kind of scared to get them b/c I have no clue how to work them, but I hear that they help create really nice up dos!

Yeah, these look REALLY interesting. I don't know how they work. Maybe someone has a Youtube tutorial on them... I'll go check tonight.
If I find one, I'll post it here.

lilsparkle825

i loooove my good hair days pins....i actually have two in right now. i have a variation of reecie's double bun that she had in her sig -- i did a twistout yesterday, and today i have two twistout buns. here is a pic of hers:

they are so easy to use -- just slide them in your hair and they grip easily and tightly.

for the ST bun i too would use small claw clips.

davisbr88

i loooove my good hair days pins....i actually have two in right now. i have a variation of reecie's double bun that she had in her sig -- i did a twistout yesterday, and today i have two twistout buns. here is a pic of hers:
they are so easy to use -- just slide them in your hair and they grip easily and tightly.

for the ST bun i too would use small claw clips.

Thanks for the pic! That style is gorgeous. I doubt my hair is thick enough to pull this off... :cry2:
I know that you said you used claw clips, but have you ever used these for the ST bun?