Buns and thin/fine hair, styles wanted

Ivonnovi

I have a head full of fine-textured hair, and lawd knows I can use some bunning variations!

This is a spin-off aimed at fine haired ladies

Nonie

I just posted DSD's How-To-Do-A-Bun-On-Short-Hair which I think would work well for think hair too.

Also check out Lorraine's album on creating buns, she has a neat way of creating buns. It similar to one I learned from Sengschick who doesn't have an album but using the same idea, you twist sections of your hair and roll them over you finger then use bobby pins to pin the hair in different directions. The result is a bun that looks like you curled your hair with a curling iron. I used one of those acordian-like thingies for creating a puff, the plastic zigzag thingies that form a circle, but I think a friendly elastic thingy would work just as well.

Then you can always do Adrienne's drawstring pony bun

Ivonnovi

thanks for sharing, I'll have to try the pre-wrapped bun immediately! Then I'll try drawstring one again. I've always been afraid the:wallbash: drawstring will slip off somehow.

Ivonnovi

I took the advice from an earlier poster and did bun-something with additional hair today.

I've gotten extremely tired of wrappin'&tuckin' my delicate ends around a bun for a day look, then having my hair going every-which-away when I take it down after work.
SO.
1. for both comfort and care I use nylon Knee-High tops for a comfotable hold (did I mention that I'm tenderheaded?):nono: NOTE: I also cornrowed my nape for neatness.
2. Wrapped the phony-hair poof around my ponytail.
3. Used an invisible hair net to "smooth" and hold the ponytail/bun in place. (Uncle Sam requires all ends to be tucked in)
4. Used a Braided band to hold everthing in place.

The pics show the undoing of this in phases. I appreciate the idea that I'm no longer manipulating or tucking my hair much:drunk: for this style. Tell me what you think!

Attachments

• forWork wHairNet.jpg
    forWork wHairNet.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 117
  • forWorkClose.jpg
    forWorkClose.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 102
  • ForPlay.jpg
    ForPlay.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 88
  • UnDoing wNapeBriad.jpg
    UnDoing wNapeBriad.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Fine, loose  wPoof, BraidedBand & NylonTop.jpg
    Fine, loose wPoof, BraidedBand & NylonTop.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 91

Nonie

I absolutely love it! So did you do Adrienne's baggy method? Coz I swear I think that's one of the surest way of keeping your ends healthy. Adrienne grew her hair to her waist this way and with braids, so I can't wait till my natural hair can form a pony puff so I can start this protective styling.

I really do like how your hair looked. :yep:

Ivonnovi

Baggy? Naw, now with the hair-ponytail-band that i used. I did spritz my hair with Alma oil before brushing it into the ponytail, though.

I'm sure the baggy method would work with a phonypony though.

Nonie

Oh OK. But you're right; a baggy would most definitely work. And I think it would help to ensure the ends don't dry at all. Ends that don't dry=ends that don't break=retention=length.

Ever read Yvette's journey and how keeping her hair ends moist led to dream hair? Such an inspiring story. You can see it here.

Ivonnovi

Nonie, thanks for the lead. That was a great article. I TOTALLY AGREE with the quote below, as I've discovered the absolute necessity to hold-on-to-my-ends to achieve growth and maintain length.
I had a stylist offer to cut off 2.5". I refused his offer, then eventualy trimed my hair bit-by-bit to achieve the 2.5" cut, BUT ONLY AFTER GROWING 2.5 more inches. I litterly grew an extra 1/2" and trimmed a 1/2";

The big thing is to try as hard as you can to protect the ends while being gentle on the scalp. That's when you'll see results!!!

Oh OK. But you're right; a baggy would most definitely work. And I think it would help to ensure the ends don't dry at all. Ends that don't dry=ends that don't break=retention=length.

Ever read Yvette's journey and how keeping her hair ends moist led to dream hair? Such an inspiring story. You can see it here.

Ivonnovi

Great Question.

I braided my nape because that's the area that usually "doesn't grow" as they say.
That the hair is very delicate, does not respond well to perming, and I get a lot of breakage there.

Lately I've been barely texlaxing the area, I braid the area to spare it the manipulation, and to have a neat looking nape when my hair is in a bun (5-6days a week). The braid is moisturized and my ends are spared manipulation.

Credits to MOOK for the following "Grow your Nape"Thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=3709799&posted=1#post3709799

Here's a challenge if anyone's interested:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=196435&highlight=Nape

Keep it coming ladies. OP your bun came out great! Why did you braid the nape?

Ivonnovi

:bump: One of my go-to/daily looks from when I was re_laxed. The grow your nape challenge sounds like maybe it should be revised.