Twists on Fine/Thin/Medium Hair..can it be done??

Faith

I see so many nice twists but all of them are on big haired ladies. Ladies with a lot of hair by the looks of it. Have any fine/thin/medium haired ladies done twists? Did it look full? Is there a way to make it look fuller if it doesn't? If possible please post a pic. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

Of course!
I do not have Thick hair -IMO - But I wear twists all the time....
ETA: OK - I posted...

This is from JUNE 2007. My hair does not twist quite this way anymore....it is too long....and I have less curly ends now.

Attachments

• various shots June 2007 030.jpg
    various shots June 2007 030.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 55
  • various shots June 2007 006.jpg
    various shots June 2007 006.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 53
  • various shots June 2007 007.jpg
    various shots June 2007 007.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Pamsc

Bumping. I want to know too. I recently did two strand twist on my hair and I won't be wearing it out in public...LOL Granted I have only about 5-6in of hair. I wish it was thicker. Hopefully Henna will help with that...okay rant over...:drunk:

trj1922

I have VERY thin hair. Even at its thickest, it was thin. I used to wear twists but it never looked very pretty and full. Now with my hair see-through paper thin, I would never ever dare. It would look atrocious!

Wish I could be more help, but if your hair is really thin or fine all I know of that will make your twists full is extensions and with those you run the risk of destroying what hair you have.

lwilliams1922

I think my hair likes twists. It was hard to get used to it because I don't have big hair and when I first do them you can see my scalp and the fact that my roots have a mind of their own.

I've found that If I condidtion well before doing the twists, I'll get more body the next day in the twist out.

A photo of my twists are in my sig. my twist out is in my fotki.

Faith

Well I posted a reply before and it never showed up..hmm.

What I said was it's too bad knowing fine hair can't wear a twist like some others BUT I do like how yours look SJ. I may try it and if it looks really bad down I will put it up in some fashion. What do you do to keep the ends from unravelling SJ?

Last edited:

JustKiya

Hrm.... things I've notived/picked up.

The more moisturized your hair is, the thicker the twist will look.
Twists done on dry hair, and then gotten wet, tend to be bigger than twists on wet hair, or twists done on dry hair and left dry.
Additional length will make the twists look bigger - and you can 'cheat' by making the twists bigger, too.
If the twists look funny hanging down, try pinning them up - they look MUCH fuller that way, and you can leave yourself bangs, or something.

My twists have gone from this in Nov 06:

to this in Sept 08:

So, having thin twists now doesn't mean you'll be stuck with em.

Nonie

I have thin hair and wear twists. The secret is to do them on dry then wet them so they shrink and puff up. Also doing them small helps make them seem full as less of your scalp will show. And yes, styling them in updos can also help disguise the scalp-y look.

Faith

Thanks Ladies. I will do it on dry hair then wet it. Do I have to totally wet it or can I spray it with my conditioner/water mix? It's like -50C with windchill for the next few days...brrrr. Why do I live here again :lol:

OT: Nonie I can't wait for the next HP film. I hope they do it better than the last one was. I was kind of disappointed in how it was done. Thought it would be more like the book in some ways.

Faith

I think my hair likes twists. It was hard to get used to it because I don't have big hair and when I first do them you can see my scalp and the fact that my roots have a mind of their own.

I've found that If I condidtion well before doing the twists, I'll get more body the next day in the twist out.

A photo of my twists are in my sig. my twist out is in my fotki.

Do you wear your twists up or down? How do you keep it from unravelling? I guess I can always use good ol' grease on the ends.

Nonie

Just wanted to add a pic.

BTW, I don't just spray my hair. I so much as CW it. The puffing up is really a bonus. The main reason I wet my twists is so that the weight of the water can make them hang straight. So the more soaked they are the better.

Hey, you didn't like the last HP movie? I thought it was one of the best as far as staying true to the book. The third movie was the most disappointing to me.

Last edited:

oooop2

My DD have thin type 3C hair and I place her hair in twist all the time. I do them on damp hair, that I place her hair in a loose ponytail. In the morning, I spritz her hair w/ a herbal spray and lightly oil to seal. I've found that if I don't do this, b/c her hair is so fine, it easily tangles. And doing them on damp hair fluffs them out.

chokolate miss

I have thin hair and wear twists. The secret is to do them on dry then wet them so they shrink and puff up. Also doing them small helps make them seem full as less of your scalp will show. And yes, styling them in updos can also help disguise the scalp-y look.

ITA with the bolded. That was going to be my response as well. I have thin and kind of medium textured hair. The key for me has been to do them small. It does not take a super amount of time as my hair is thin. I think they look nice:look:

suburbanbushbabe

I only do twist & curl twist outs. My twists look okay but IMO there's too much scalp showing. You could try extensions. If I can find some gray hair I would to get extensions to thicken them up.

Twisties

My hair is thin. I gave up on covering my scalp a long time ago :):look::grin:...

If you do "brick parts" which is layered triangle parts, it will help to cover scalp as much as possible.

Here my hair was twisted while wet with Nature's Blessing Pomade...

1st pic is week one and 2nd pic week 2 I had co-washed so less scalp shows by then...

Faith

Just wanted to add a pic.

BTW, I don't just spray my hair. I so much as CW it. The puffing up is really a bonus. The main reason I wet my twists is so that the weight of the water can make them hang straight. So the more soaked they are the better.

Hey, you didn't like the last HP movie? I thought it was one of the best as far as staying true to the book. The third movie was the most disappointing to me.

Doesn't it shrivel up when it dries fully?

Faith

I only do twist & curl twist outs. My twists look okay but IMO there's too much scalp showing. You could try extensions. If I can find some gray hair I would to get extensions to thicken them up.

No, I'm staying away from extensions. My hairline, especially my temples have been suffering because of them. They need a rest. I'm thinking maybe pinned up is the best way for fine haired women

Faith

My hair is thin. I gave up on covering my scalp a long time ago :):look::grin:...

If you do "brick parts" which is layered triangle parts, it will help to cover scalp as much as possible.

Here my hair was twisted while wet with Nature's Blessing Pomade...

1st pic is week one and 2nd pic week 2 I had co-washed so less scalp shows by then...

I love the look of your twists...your ends are so spirally :lol: Triangle parts? They don't sound easy to do...hmm

Last edited:

lwilliams1922

Do you wear your twists up or down? How do you keep it from unravelling? I guess I can always use good ol' grease on the ends.

When i first started I just KNEW my hair would unravel. However once I found the right conditioner I just make sure my hair is wet and the conditioner holds it nicely. I also mix some EVOO, EVCO or castor oil on the ends or before I do the twist out.

I usually wear my twists down but sometimes I will tie a scarf around my head like a head band to keep the twist off my face.

Twisties

I love the look of your twists...your ends are so spirally :lol: Triaangle parts? They don't sound easy to do...hmm

Thanks. I can't do the triangle parts myself-I go to a natural haircare shop when I want it dne that way-I really wish i could, but no matter how I've tried, it doesn't come out quite right. I can do regular square partings myself if I am in the mood to sit and do my hair-which I haven't been lately:grin:.

Faith said:
Question for all of you. How long are you keeping your twists in for?

I have learned for my hair it's best not to go past two weeks:look:. At the end of week 2, I wear a twist-out fro for a few days. It varies from person to person on how long to keep them in...

EMJazzy

Happily retired

To the bolded...that is the ONLY way I can wear my twists in public. :look:

Nonie

I am going into my third week for the set I am wearing. I might touch up a few after a while, but I am so lazy that I tend to live in twists like I did braids.

Lucky's Mom

Wow. Nonie - You are the QUEEN of Twists. I know. I have told you this before....
ANYHOO...
I Use lots of stuff on my ends... and thet don't always stay together.

Qhemet's Amla and Olive works well.

Lucky's Mom

Well I posted a reply before and it never showed up..hmm.

What I said was it's too bad knowing fine hair can't wear a twist like some others BUT I do like how yours look SJ. I may try it and if it looks really bad down I will put it up in some fashion. What do you do to keep the ends from unravelling SJ?

You can try a Honey hair spritz.
I used it for these twists:

The recipe is from the "Going Natural" book
1.5 cup distilled water
2 Tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoon honey

mix - and use a spray bottle to distribute :)

Attachments

• Hair Checks and bunning 162.jpg
    Hair Checks and bunning 162.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 8