Burnt smell while using Sabino?

malachi74

Hey y'all. I absolutely LOVE using Sabino Moisture Block when I straighten my natural hair and I even use it when I'm not heat styling to seal my moisturizers in. It is my #2 staple in line behind my organic coconut oil.

Here's the issue:
I've flat-ironed 3 times using Sabino so far, and each time my hair is left feeling smooth and silky feeling, never dry. The problem is that I'm still getting a kind of a burnt smell to my strands after I've flat-ironed! Please tell me if this is normal or if I probably need to be using more product. I'm not sure what it is because my hair springs back to it's normal state as soon as I wash and it doesn't appear as though my ends are at all damaged.

I want my hair to smell like the shampoo I used, not burnt hair. I try not to overdo it with the Sabino because I don't like looking like a greaseball. It's hard to know what measurement to use. I wish they would clarify, like is a quarter-size a teaspoon, or a tablespoon, something I can literally use to measure the amount I need to be using? HELP please.

Last edited:
I was having this problem awhile ago. I think your flatiron may be up to high. Try a lower termperature and you should be fine. HTH

The instructions that came with the sample suggest using a dime- to quarter-sized amount, depending on the length of your hair.

He says to use the flat iron at 450, but I'm always at about 350-370. You may need to lower your heat setting to fit your hair's needs...

I haven't ever had that issue. I use a dime size amount and temp at 350.

I agree, you may need to clean the iron.

The burnt smell comes from the iron, not the product. I used to have the same issue, and it didn't matter what product I used until I started cleaning my iron really thoroughly before using. I think Pinkskates might have some info in her fotki about what she uses to clean her hotcomb.

Also, you may need to wipe it down a few times during the process if you notice a lot of build-up HTH.

That's the thing, I never notice any buildup on my flat iron. It usually looks super clean, but I'll try cleaning it anyway. Usually during the process I glide a damp towel throught the plates to take away any possible gunk. Do yall use something other than water to wipe down your iron?
...thanks for the tips. My hair doesn't look or feel heat-damaged so for the life of me I couldn't tell why I was getting that smell in my hair.

The burnt smell is probably coming from the iron and not the product. Try cleaning the flat iron with some cleaner (can be purchased at Sally BSS.

Are you ladies using a dime or quarter size per section(if you section your hair into fourths or halves) or for your whole head?

Hope the question makes since. TIA

Ive had this problem too, i clean the iron but it seems to stil smell funny. Ive also noticed a garlicky smell also, is that from the mt and garlic tabs? They said they were odorless.

Hi there!

I have fine strands too - and I noticed that the temp was TOOO high for my hair - even with Sabino.... My suggestion is to:

a. lower the temp of the iron... 400 is the max
b. keep a damp towel nearby. I cleaned my iron with alcohol on a paper towel after each swiped piece of hair.... Keeping it clean helped tremendously.

Clean your iron. I use a lof ot SMB...probably too much :look: I am 100% natural and I flatiron on about 170C/338F

I straightened my hair last weekend and before turning on the iron I ran a cotton ball dippen in alcohol over the plates and then dried it with a towel. My iron never looks dirty but I did it anyway per the suggestions here. Guess What??? NO BURNT SMELL! I did not turn my flat-iron to a cooler temperature or anything, just wiped the plates before beginning. I think this was the trick; thanks!

I had the same experience with SMB this past Monday and I was using a brand new flat iron. The iron goes up to 410 degrees but I wouldn't put it up that high. I think I was in the 350-375 range for the most part and maybe at 380ish when I got the burn smell. My hair reverted after I sprayed some moisturizer on it so I'm not sure what to think because I didn't want to go up as high as the directions said. :shrug:

If you still get a smell that clings to your hair ever, dry a dry shampoo. I bought one at Sally's for a little under $8 and it deodorizes my hair and removes extra product if I over use.

Back