Calling all DIYers-Self Trimming

chasturner84

Ladies,

After reading and clenching my chest over what happened to Sylver2, I was wondering how long was YOUR hair before your started self trimming? I am lucky to have a trusted stylist, but as much as I move from state to state, she isn't always available to me. I have been reading through threads for insight and I would like to eventually start self trimming but I am somewhat nervous. I think my hair is too short to trim it myself. I currently do S&Ds, but that's about it. TIA!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Well I've got 3 mirrors set up in my bathroom to help me self trim. It's not that hard. Just pull down and snip. With the next piece I include a little of the first piece to guide me. That's it.

I cut my hair to EL. I don't know how hard it is to cut APL or below hair. I might have to go to someone for that because I don't think I'd be able to reach it.

chasturner84

I was thinking just the opposite. I thought that if your hair was longer it would be easier to trim because all you would have to do is pull it over your shoulders and snip. Hmmm....

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Giiiiirrrl, I have no idea. My hair hasn't been APL or longer since high school ('97).

*Waiting on more responses*

Kacie

I started to self trim when I found Feye's Self Trim guide. I may have been approaching shoulder length.

Chevelure618

Ladies,

After reading and clenching my chest over what happened to Sylver2, I was wondering how long was YOUR hair before your started self trimming? I am lucky to have a trusted stylist, but as much as I move from state to state, she isn't always available to me. I have been reading through threads for insight and I would like to eventually start self trimming but I am somewhat nervous. I think my hair is too short to trim it myself. I currently do S&Ds, but that's about it. TIA!

It just has to be long enough for a pony tail. Make the lowest ponytail you can with the hair very straight and combed through. Then snip the ends of the ponytail, but very little, just to make it even. Then take it out and comb all you hair up as if you are making a ponytail on the top of your head and snip very little to even it. VERY LITTLE because this method will give light layers if you take too much. Let the back and sides drop out of your hold first as this is how you won't loose any length.

ebonimama

The longer it is the easier to trim. I started self trimming at the beginning of my hair journey, I was sl. Now I'm mbl and it's much simpler to pull it forward over my shoulder and just cut straight across.

I have a trusted stylist that I go to once a year for a professional trim, and she never takes off any more than 1/2 inch.