calling all my sloooooooooooow hair growers

lea86111

i'm a really slow hair grower, i suspect that mya hair grows between 1/4 (cold months) to 1/5 (in the summer) inches a month. So my question to you is, what do you do to up your growth? Is it working? I take msm and it's a bit soon to tell whether its working or not, i'll try making my msm/oil mix next as well. Also, since our hair grows oh so slow =( what are you doing to keep it all on your head? Are you ps'ing all the time? Bunning? Do you get to leave your hair down and enjoy your length ever?

Nonie

What is your regimen? And how do you know that's your growth rate? Not saying I don't believe you, but sometimes what we think we see isn't what photos show. Or sometimes it's our retention that lets us down. Like if you saw the difference between my hair last year or the year before and now, you'd think I only get 2 inches a year. But I've seen different and know that the "lack of progress" is due to bad retention.

Aggie

Nonie's right. Retention is key to our successful hair progress. I used to think I was a very slow grower as well, but now I know different because I keep my hair in protective styles a lot now and make very sure to take great care of my hair underneath any PS I use, extension braids, wigs, etc...

lea86111

i check the new growth, i measure it a lot lol. But i think maybe i'm tripping cause i just got a relaxer less than a month ago and i suspect my hair grows the slowest the month right after a relaxer (is that silly? Or possible?) but yeah i never go by the retention/length progress. I recently started this hhj up again, maybe 4 months or so and i had braid n an overlay and during this time i had like 1.5 in of growth in sm parts and 1 inch in others so yeah =(
but this is my regimen for now:
shampoo once a week with a moisturizing shampoo
dc twice a week. On sunday afternoon for a few hours with eqp dpr 11 mixed with hot 6 oil, then the same day, i dc overnight with ao gpb (which i loooooooove)
use zambesi leave in and fantasia ic heat protector and flat iron with croc 2
moisturize once a day with qb burdock root butter cream (love this too) and seal with hot 6 oil

does this sound good?

irsgirl

i'm a really slow hair grower, i suspect that mya hair grows between 1/4 (cold months) to 1/5 (in the summer) inches a month. So my question to you is, what do you do to up your growth? Is it working? I take msm and it's a bit soon to tell whether its working or not, i'll try making my msm/oil mix next as well. Also, since our hair grows oh so slow =( what are you doing to keep it all on your head? Are you ps'ing all the time? Bunning? Do you get to leave your hair down and enjoy your length ever?
I believe my hair grows only a quarter of an inch(1/4) in the winter and half inch(1/2) in the summer months as well. It grows especially slow at the nape.

Eluv

I'm five months post with only 1.5" of new growth.

So far nothing I'm doing has helped increase my growth rate, so I'm trying to retain every inch I get.

My Regimen:
PS 99% (Buns/Updos)
DC 2x week
Protein/Moisture balance
Moisturize and seal daily
Sleep on satin pillow case
Take Biotin and Multivitamin
Exercise 3-5 days a week
Drink at least 80 oz of water daily
South Beach diet (high protein & lots of green veggies)

Last week I added scalp massages 3x

ms.blue

When I was relaxed my new growth would not show until like 2-3 months after the retouch. I realized that my new growth laid down easy masking the growth. Even now that I'm natural my hair lays down easy when I wear a scarf.
Your hair maybe lays down easily so it looks like there is no growth.

Keen

I also get a 1/4 inches a month. Sometimes I don't even think I get that much. I don't focus on faster hair growth anymore. I focus on retention.

Tiye

I am a slow grower.

1/4" /mo = 3" /year. = 15 inches in about 5 years which isn't bad.

Check out albums of ppl with long hair and none are claiming bra-strap plus in less than that approximate time frame no matter what monthly growth rate they report. So imo it doesn't matter. It's about retention. Eat healthy, take a multivitamin, have a regimen based on protective styling and find a couple of products that work for you and stick with them. When you detangle or take down braids, etc., go slow and be gentle. There's nothing more to it than that.

chasturner84

I am a slow grower.

1/4" /mo = 3" /year. = 15 inches in about 5 years which isn't bad.

Check out albums of ppl with long hair and none are claiming bra-strap plus in less than that approximate time frame no matter what monthly growth rate they report. So imo it doesn't matter. It's about retention. Eat healthy, take a multivitamin, have a regimen based on protective styling and find a couple of products that work for you and stick with them. When you detangle or take down braids, etc., go slow and be gentle. There's nothing more to it than that.

I definitely agree with that. I average about 4"/year so I have to take the necessary steps to make sure that I retain every inch I grow. I previously thought that I only grew 2.5-3"/year but it was retention that was my problem...my hair was breaking faster than it was growing so I wasn't seeing length. Although I stretch my relaxers to 16-18 weeks, I only have 1-1.5" of new growth at the time of my relaxer. I don't think there is a fool proof product to increase your growth rate...you just have to make sure your current products and techniques work well for your hair.