Calling all new and old transitioners

Tai

Extending my texturizer touch up ended up leading me to transition.
I'm excited about going natural again (this is my 2nd time).
I wanted to know if there were any other people who had recently decided to take the plunge to transitioning. I thought it could be useful to share some tips, techniques, products that are helping during the transitioning process.

For me, conditioner washes are a must.
My hair's also getting picky about what products it likes already. Anything with wheat germ gets the :thumbsup: but my hair currently hates Biolage ultra conditioning balm & the detangling solution. Both leave it soft but slightly tangled with zero slip.

The only conditioners that give me slip right now are:
Sebastian Laminates
Kenra MC
Salerm Wheat Germ treatment
Aphogee 2 min Keratin
Loreal Color treatment (from Sally's that's in any Loreal permanent dye)
Capilo Sole and Cinnamon conditioner

What's working and not working for other transitioners, both new and old?

OnceUponAtime

Working:
Stalking albums Naturals & Relaxed (a good tip is a good tip!)
Silk/Satin scarves pillows
Shake & Go hair styles
Baggie Technique w/ Phony Ponytail
Nexxus Therappe (when I shampoo)
Nexxus Humectress, best leave-in (not Sally's knockoff
)
Nexxus Botinoil (used prior to Keraphix)
Nexxus Keraphix Reconstructer
Surge Revitalizer 14
Surge Woojee Cream
Mizani Moisturefuse
NTM line
Garneir Fructis 3 minute deep conditioner
EVOO
Honey
Shea Butter
Aphogee Treatment
VO5 Hydrators conditioner
Baking soda
ACV
Aloe gel
Castor Oil
Wild Growth Oil
A few others, but too many to list here

Not working:
Braid outs (Lately it's just not happening, was once a staple)
Cornrows (I lost so much hair afterward
)
Kenra line (I used this relaxed too. Not impressed)
D&L Naturally Almond Rain Oil Mist

Sally's Humectress knockoff
(only if I'm desperate)

inthepink

What works for me is:

Suave Awapuhi -- $1.49-$199 depending where you buy -- I use it as a leave-in right after I rinse
St. Ives Extra Shine Conditioner -- $2.99 -- hard to find unfortunately. Gives my hair major slip plus it really sinks into my hair.
Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel -- $4.99 at Sally's. Everytime I try another gel or styling product, I always come back to this one.

I've done most of my transition doing conditioner washes and braidouts. I couldn't have survived without them.

SoAnxious12

congrats good luck.
Works:
EVOO
mango butter
carrot oil
doo gro
V05 co washes
not working:
shampooing every 3 days
motions leave in

Bobbie

Congratulations on deciding to transition!

Here's what works for me:
Suave Milk and Honey
Clairol Daily Defense Tender Apple
Unrefined Shea butter/oil mixture for softness
Water/glycerin mix as a leave-in
S-curl activator
Surge
Braid outs
Glover's Medicated Shampoo
Jason's Sea Kelp Conditioner

What doesn't work:
Queen Helene Cholesterol
Ponytails (hair has gotten too thick to hold a ponytail without breaking the scrunchie)

Any comb smaller than wide-tooth is asking for breakage
Daily styling
Shampooing/lathering more than once --- severe tangles

Xcellence2

I am seriously thinking about transitioning but I do not want to cut off my relaxed hair...I worked too hard for it to get to this length. Any suggestions....

Tai

I am planning to do a long term transition (over a year). I won't be doing a chop until my natural hair is at least shoulder length.
I think Hairlove transitioned when her hair was bra strap length or longer if I'm not mistaken.

inthepink

Yes, you're right Tai. When I first began to transition, my hair was almost waist length. I've gotten several trims and one drastic trim during the last year and 4 months.

Xcellence, if your relaxed hair is healthy and you aren't experiencing any breakage, you should be able to transition as long as you like. I'm reaching my "breaking" point b/c I did have breakage and thus my relaxed hair is so much less than my natural hair...only so many styles I can do to disguise this. Good luck - I'm sure you can do it!

BLESSED1

I'm 14 weeks post relaxer and decided to transition about a month ago. I haven't really changed my routine though, the only thing different is that it takes me a little longer to detangle my hair in the shower after doing a CO wash, I make sure to handle my hair extra gentle since I'm dealing with 2 textures.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Congrats Tai! Welcome to the club

This has been a learning experience to say the least but so far whats working for me is:
Wash every four days for buildup with Elasta qp creme(but I am trying an ACV rinse today)
CW every two days(Suave Milk & Honey, Nature's gate cond. or Daily defence)
Spray bottle with water,conditioner,oil & glycerin
Shealoe or avocado butter on the ends
Buns
DEEP CONDITION/PROTEIN CONDITION ONCE A WEEK with Aubrey GPB & Lustrasilk aloe or Elasta DPR (sorry for the caps but I slacked on this for about a 3 weeks due to my schedule and paid for it dearly!
)
Wide tooth seamless comb and Denman brush!

What isn't working:
Any other shampoo but Elasta qp (except Creme of Nature but that leaves too much buildup on my scalp)
NOT doing deep conditioning

Hi Everyone!

I'm also a transitioner and have been transtioning since May 03. My hair type is 3B and my natural hair is about 6 inches long. All of my hair (relaxed and natural) measures just above bra strap.

What's working:
Conditioner washes (Suaves' Milk and Honey is da BOMB! LOL)
Deep Conditioning my hair for an hour every week
Shampooing every 5 days
Wide tooth combs and ONLY combing when my hair is wet
Elasta QP Creme Shampoo, Creme of Nature Cond. Shampoo
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Condioner
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Ultra Sheen Hair Grease (Gives it SHINE)
Being Patient when combing out hair. Taking my time will save me from losing LOTS of hair

What's not working:
Aquelle Conditioner
Fine tooth combs
Roller Sets

Tai

I am slacking on the deep conditioning with heat. I need to do one this week. I used AO for 30-45 minutes w/o heat.

What are people using to deep condition? I have Nacidit olive oil, Capilo sole & cinnamon, Miss Key 10 en 1, Crom Emergencia, Rysell coconut for moisturizing deep conditioning.

SilkyandSmooth

Great thread! I'm only 2 1/2 months in, and things are going well so far. I have no complaints. Products that work for me are:

Suave Milk and Honey
St. Ives Extra Shine Conditioner (Thanks Hairlove)
Nacidit Olive Oil Conditioner and Rinse
Tropical Avocado Conditioner
Salerm 21
Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo
A mixture of water, glycerin and Milk and Honey conditioner
Isoplus, Loreal Anti-Frizz and Fantasia Frizz Buster Straighteining gels.

Victorian

old head
I guess I'm a new transitioner, although it's already been about 10 months without relaxer for me. I'm waiting for a shipment of conditioners to reach me so I can start my conditioner washes in full force. I'm going to do them 3 times a week. I just bought some s-curl so I'm going to see how that works for me as well.

So far I know that a wide-toothed comb is a necessity and that detangling in the shower with conditioner in my hair is the way to go.

Xcellence2

Thanks for the support hairlove. I currently dont have any breakage but my only concern is the inbetween stage of transitioning which terrifies me since I am the only black attorney in my law firm and I refuse to look BUSTED! Any further suggestions.... I like my twistouts and the wash and go but I think my relaxer is taming my hair from being as big as it can be so to speak. Help ladies!!!!

inthepink

Xcellence2 - My only suggestion for a neat, professional look is a nice bun. Practice, practice practice! They will look neat and you'll be professional.

Tai

Xcellence2, I'm co-signing with Hairlove. Your hair is long so you have the lenght to plan around with pretty bun styles that can be cute and professional. Soft french rolls can also be very pretty and also very professional.

alliyah4eva203

i'm not even going to try and battle each day with the two textures. so it's braids and cornrows for me until i decide to chop off the relaxed ends.

love2praz

This is a great thread! I'm about 3 months in and the past 1.5 months I've had braids. No big chops for me. I'm just going to deal with the 2 textures until I can't deal anymore!

FineChyna

i'm pretty much done transitioning and all i can say is my hair is VERY picky about what it likes

but so far these are the items my hair really likes
CCD healthy hair butter-i swear by this stuff
Joico-k-pak line
lustersilk cholesterol
optimum care super protecting shampoo/conditioner-actually i've used this stuff for years. my hair loves it

didn't work
carrot creme oil
ORS products outside of the hair mayo
*soft and beautiful conditioner for natural and texturized hair
* pantene pro-v line for natural and permed hair
my hair isn't really big on iol either for some reason. it looks shiny but it doesn't seem to prevent my hair from feeling dried out.
*= a friend swore by these 2 products but i absolutely HATED them. they actually made my hair drier. one of the people that used pantene pro-v had dreads and the soft and beautiful line i think is just for texterizers or people with a A or B texture. it was very sticky in my hair and hard to wash out.

Cinnabuns

Well hello all you fellow transitioners

I’m transitioning also and am 10 weeks post relaxer – the longest EVER!

What Works For Me:
ACV Rinse (this was a shock…but someone from this board told me about it and it does work)
EVOO
Daily c/o washes with: Suave Conditioners (Strawberries & Cream…LOVE THIS STUFF
and sometimes I use their Coconut co)
Motions CPR
Crème of Natural Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo
Profectiv Healthy Ends (I use this not only on my ends but also along my hairline)
Le-Keir Shea Butter Conditioner Leave-In
Le-Keir Cholesterol

Not Working For Me:
LUST (Just did not work for me….I hope that I don’t get kicked in the head for this one…LOL) – but I do use it for gently smoothing the hairline.
Aussie Insurance Leave-In
Hair Grease (all types)

As you can see from my list it’s just really cheap items that work for my hair. When I first came to this board I thought that I needed to spend hundreds for my hair to look good and I did at first (recovering PJ) but now that I know what works for me I can stick to these products…or until I find something better.

jd_bdfly

It's been 8 months for me, but I still feel pretty new at it. And I think the longer I go, the more my relaxed ends are getting unhappy with me. I'm trying to hold out cutting until I have enough natural hair to catch in a ponytail, but I dunno...

I have found some product that I really like. Right now I'm pretty into
Aubrey GPB
ORS Olive Oil moisturizer
NTM

Other things:
the K-Cutter comb is a GODSEND
Also detangling frequently (every few days) is a MUST unless I want to deal with severely tangly hair and risk breakage at the line of demarcation when I'm trying to get the tangles out. I dealt with that the hard way yesterday. Since I've been studying for the bar, I've been neglecting my hair - just throwing it in a messy bun and only washing once a week. I was soooo tangled yesterday that even though I tried to patiently work through the tangles I ended up losing a good amount of hair.