Calling All Tangled Haired Ladies!!!

StarScream35

Are you ones of those ladies who have tried hundreds of detangling shampoos with no prevail? :sad:

Have you tried wide tooth combs, tangle teezers, bone tail combs, denman brushes and still end up with nothing but broken hairs?

Have you tried finger detangling and discovered it just wasn't for you?

Do you get anxiety at the sheer thought of detangling your hair?

Do you wish upon a star that your tangles will just disappear after washing your hair?

Fear no more ladies, I think I have discovered the solution. It's called the Remington Tangle Tamer.

Let me just say I have suffered from severe tangles ALL my life. I've tried EVERYTHING with no prevail except broken hairs. I was a little a skeptical about this thing cause I figured it was just another money grabbing gimmick but NO WAY HOSEA!

I have tried this magic wand on both my dry and wet hair and all I can say is at the end my bottom lip is on the floor every time!! :spinning:

It looks like a big old toothbrush. It's electrical so you charge it and once it's charged, it works magic! You use it just like you would any detangling comb. The teeth rotate and you start from ends to roots and it's so effortless!! I'm like why didn't I discover this some 10 years ago. All I can say is WOW! :drunk:

The only hairs that are in the teeth are SHEDDED hairs not BROKEN hairs. I'm so touched I could almost cry. God has finally answered my prayers and maybe some of yours!!! Oh and it's great for both relaxed and natural hair. I'm transitioning so I have both textures and this thing is amazing. Apparently it was made for little kids but THIS grown kid is using it for LIFE! LOL. :grin:

I'd like to hear if anybody else has used this or if you have any questions, shoot em my way!

Here's a link:

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/remington-tangle-tamer-model-dt-800

Krystle~Hime

Brighteyes35
do you know your new growth's hair type ? im wondering what will it do on 4b/c hair..... and something tell me it won't be the holygrail for my hairtype :(not this time(desperating lol)

Krystle~Hime

Minty

I saw it for $2 and now on Amazon for $10. I'm sure Amazon includes the shipping cost but I wonder if I can find this cheaper.

bellebebe

I used to be in this category, but ever since I stopped wearing sew ins, my tangles have stopped. Anyway, I get terrible knots post sew in.

StarScream35

Krystle~Hime

My new growth is 4b with a little bit of 4a mixed in at the nape and around the ears and the Tamer worked just fine on both textures. I was a little worried because my new growth can be a real piece of work and is prone to snapping when I'm detangling but the Tamer went in and tamed it. The first time I used it, I stood there in the mirror looking at my new growth like HOLD UP?? Did this just happen?? It was so smooth!!
Girl, I'm a little afraid they may discontinue this item because it's marketed for little girls and I wonder if it's getting the attention it needs. I'm strongly thinking about stocking up since it's inexpensive.
I've been a sucker for numerous hair tools and none of them have worked except this one. I guess it doesn't hurt to do a little trial and error after all.

Muse

I'd be willing to try this. I'm natural 4b and I have wide tooth seamless combs, tangle teezer (what a joke!), and denman and I still have tangled hair. Hope I can find it locally.

OP: love infomercial style post:lachen:.

Nonie

This to me is no different from the Tangle Teezer which I could've told y'all before you got it that it'd be a joke and damaging.

To me tangles are not things that can be removed in a hurry. If you are gliding something through a tangle, you're yanking it out not undoing it. Tangles require painstaking effort to undo. I think of a tangle as being similar to what forms on a thread when you're sewing and pulling it through material. A loop may form with a knot in it. The only way to undo that knot/tangle is using a pin, and not by yanking it through but my inserting it in the spaces and loosening the knot so that you can pull the threads straight and THEN it will go through the material.

I believe the same care is needed to undo tangles. You need to use the end tooth of a comb (or something pointed but not so sharp as to tear the strands) and use something slippery to help reduce friction and make sliding out of knot easier.

But that's JMHO. That's why I don't get how the Denman, Tangle Teezer or this new 7-day wonder are supposed to help with tangles. My suggestions on dealing with tangles is to find out ways to prevent them from coming to be so you're spending less time detangling and more time enjoying your hair.

Krystle~Hime

Krystle~Hime

My new growth is 4b with a little bit of 4a mixed in at the nape and around the ears and the Tamer worked just fine on both textures. I was a little worried because my new growth can be a real piece of work and is prone to snapping when I'm detangling but the Tamer went in and tamed it. The first time I used it, I stood there in the mirror looking at my new growth like HOLD UP?? Did this just happen?? It was so smooth!!
Girl, I'm a little afraid they may discontinue this item because it's marketed for little girls and I wonder if it's getting the attention it needs. I'm strongly thinking about stocking up since it's inexpensive.
I've been a sucker for numerous hair tools and none of them have worked except this one. I guess it doesn't hurt to do a little trial and error after all.

thanks !!
but it will cost me 36$ to get it to France :(
I will have to stick to what I already have, and the cheapest in the world : my hands !
thanks at least for the review and sharing :)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Thanks for sharing! I haven't had tangling issues as of late, but maybe your review can help someone struggling with this.

Muse

This to me is no different from the Tangle Teezer which I could've told y'all before you got it that it'd be a joke and damaging.

To me tangles are not things that can be removed in a hurry. If you are gliding something through a tangle, you're yanking it out not undoing it. Tangles require painstaking effort to undo. I think of a tangle as being similar to what forms on a thread when you're sewing and pulling it through material. A loop may form with a knot in it. The only way to undo that knot/tangle is using a pin, and not by yanking it through but my inserting it in the spaces and loosening the knot so that you can pull the threads straight and THEN it will go through the material.

I believe the same care is needed to undo tangles. You need to use the end tooth of a comb (or something pointed but not so sharp as to tear the strands) and use something slippery to help reduce friction and make sliding out of knot easier.

But that's JMHO. That's why I don't get how the Denman, Tangle Teezer or this new 7-day wonder are supposed to help with tangles. My suggestions on dealing with tangles is to find out ways to prevent them from coming to be so you're spending less time detangling and more time enjoying your hair.

I get what you're saying but these contraptions are obviously getting someone folks tangles out. Take the tangle teezer, doesn't work for some but works for many others on this board without damage. So it looks like these are capable of working. Maybe just not for 4b tangles (although OP says it detangles her 4b hair w/o damage).

Nonie

I get what you're saying but these contraptions are obviously getting someone folks tangles out. Take the tangle teezer, doesn't work for some but works for many others on this board without damage. So it looks like these are capable of working. Maybe just not for 4b tangles (although OP says it detangles her 4b hair w/o damage).

Muse I guess damage is relative. I mean, logically, exactly how do they work? Forget the fact that you don't have tangles later, how is it that they remove them? I mean, could they work on a thread the way I described? I could even give them the benefit of the doubt if they involved applying some detangler and letting it soak into the hair ie make the hair slippery so tangles start sliding out on their own... But just grab and comb and magic? Yeah rrrrrright! :rolleyes:

A lot of people out there in the world do not understand or care much about hair and so will jump to whatever is quick and easy. Like throwing on a weave in order to ignore damaged hair. Clinging onto products that are harmful just because they get them to where they want to be quicker. You've even heard professionals giving dumb advice. And we also talk of how industries make money off our ignorance.

Anyway, to each his own, but rather than just jump on bandwagons, people would do well to question the logic or mechanism of how things work. Like how is this different from the tangle teezer? :look: And if it's fewer teeth, would cutting a TTeezer in half make it better? :look:

StarScream35

Muse

I tried the Tangle Teezer and was so happy when I bought it at Sallys. I got home and was so excited to do my hair. I just knew it would work for me. Grrrrl.............when I begin to detangle, there was soooooo much hair in that "thang" I almost cried. Mind you I had only done a small section of hair. I had to pull out my wide tooth comb. It ripped so much of my hair out I had to go get a mini trim the next day. I was so hurt. The sad part is the instructions tell you to not be afraid to kinda pull the brush through. I was like nah honey! I had a hair stylist that used a denman on me and it did the same thing.

StarScream35

Nonie

I hear what you are saying sista but I have tried EVERY technique you mentioned. Even my hair stylists have tried those techniques. Truth of the matter is, some people's hair is just prone to tangles. I once decided to spend a whole hour detangling my hair. Yes, 1 hour cause that's how bad my tangles are. I parted into very small sections, used a leave in with great slippage and used a seamless wide tooth comb and still couldn't get the tangles out. My hair has the tendency to bounce (if that makes sense) when I'm detangling which cause RETANGLING. You feel my pain sista? So basically I end up going over the same section multiple times still without getting most of the tangles out. Even stylists complain about it. Trust me, I have tried and tried and tried girl and even asked God WHY..............but finally my prayers are answered. I'm not trying to argue with you, simply stating my experience. This has been a lifelong up hill battle for me, my mom (when I was little) and my stylists. All I can say right now is THANKYA JESUS!

Nonie

@Brighteyes35, anyone who has kinky hair can understand your plight. If I used to wear my hair out and then tried to detangle it the way you're doing, I'd have tangles forming as soon as I finish detangling.

Many 4B folks who understand their hair will tell you that when you detangle, you MUST braid that detangled hair so it doesn't tangle again. When you say that some people's hair is more prone to tangles than others, you speak the truth. I know one such person: fine-haired, tiny-kinked, 4B me. :wave: And there's nothing harder to undo than fine kinky hair tangled. :nono: But even though I am prone to tangles, I do not get them because I've mastered the art of avoiding them.

I never sleep with my hair loose. I keep my hair stretched 99% of the time. I work on small sections at a time when fingercombing so I can be meticulous in fully separating strands and remove shed hair. I use acidic products to keep my strands smooth. I avoid product that would glue my hair together. I keep my strands clean so there's no matting from product buildup.

The last time I detangled was in 2008 when I was too lazy to retwist a braidout and my hair tangled something awful. It was only the front section that I wear as bangs that was loose and that I had to work on and it took FOREVER. I used conditioner and finger detangled as if working with silk. There's no way any tool could've gone through my hair, or been able to feel what was going on to fix the problem as needed. My fingers could feel and know how to change the method as needed. I had to let the conditioner work into my hair and make the strands smooth in order for my fingers to stand a chance and it involves jiggling the knots a bit, pulling the hairs outward with a gentle jiggle to loosen knots and stretching the strands up to open up coils. The sort of tangles I get are not easily brushed through. So trust me when I say I do know about tangles. Why else do you think I am ANAL about ensuring I NEVER get them.

Last edited:

StarScream35

Nonie

Thanks for an amazing story. I have been up that tree and have come back down girl. And yep, I have tried everything you mentioned............braided hair after detangling, or clipping it up after detangling, never sleeping on loose hair. I even tried a technique my stylists would do. Try to get 50% of the tangles out and detangle the rest of my hair when it's dry. Girl trust me when I say there is not a technique that I, my mom or my stylists have tried. I did the whole finger detangling and ended with too many knots and kinks. I do the whole start at the ends and go up to the roots thing and still the same thing. I have tried all these amazing high slippage detanglers and nothing. The one that worked the best was KeraCare and with that I still had tangles. Oh yeah, acidyfying shampoos..........yep tried that, what else, henna, french perm stabilizer, I could go on. Right now it's all about thanking Jesus. I have found my solution. If what works for you is working then keep doing it. For other ladies, if it ain't working then don't be afraid to keep looking. It's out there!

Nonie

Hair is a vid of it being used on very curly hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0NzF2-5tzs

:scratchch

So again, what is it doing?

See hair like that in the video looks like a walk in the park compared to 4B hair. Also that hair isn't tangled from what I can see. It'd be nice if someone with actually tangled hair that a comb cannot go through demonstrates this and then picks this wonder and shows the difference. What's more, if you're talmbout this sort of hair...

...I think the thing'd get stuck before it even started. We're talking about kinks interlocking, wrapping around each other in a way that nothing can pass through unless you manually pull the strands apart.... Kinks too tiny that their diameter is smaller than that of the teeth of that thing. Maybe y'all have a different kind of hair than I have. *shrug*

StarScream35

keepithealthy

Thanks for the youtube video. Very nice. She has some thick beautiful hair. Would have been nice to see her mother use two hands but I understood she was trying to record. Thanks!

StarScream35

:scratchch

So again, what is it doing?

See hair like that in the video looks like a walk in the park compared to 4B hair. Also that hair isn't tangled from what I can see. It'd be nice if someone with actually tangled hair that a comb cannot go through demonstrates this and then picks this wonder and shows the difference. What's more, if you're talmbout this sort of hair...

...I think the thing'd get stuck before it even started. We're talking about kinks interlocking, wrapping around each other in a way that nothing can pass through unless you manually pull the strands apart.... Kinks too tiny that their diameter is smaller than that of the teeth of that thing. Maybe y'all have a different kind of hair than I have. *shrug*

Nice pic. My new growth is like the picture on the right. I say if a wide tooth comb, denman or whatever is working for you or anybody else then keep using it. :grin:

Muse

@Muse I guess damage is relative. I mean, logically, exactly how do they work? Forget the fact that you don't have tangles later, how is it that they remove them? I mean, could they work on a thread the way I described? I could even give them the benefit of the doubt if they involved applying some detangler and letting it soak into the hair ie make the hair slippery so tangles start sliding out on their own... But just grab and comb and magic? Yeah rrrrrright! :rolleyes:

A lot of people out there in the world do not understand or care much about hair and so will jump to whatever is quick and easy. Like throwing on a weave in order to ignore damaged hair. Clinging onto products that are harmful just because they get them to where they want to be quicker. You've even heard professionals giving dumb advice. And we also talk of how industries make money off our ignorance.

Anyway, to each his own, but rather than just jump on bandwagons, people would do well to question the logic or mechanism of how things work. Like how is this different from the tangle teezer? :look: And if it's fewer teeth, would cutting a TTeezer in half make it better? :look:

Ok you got me on the bolded :lol:

Muse

@Nonie

I hear what you are saying sista but I have tried EVERY technique you mentioned. Even my hair stylists have tried those techniques. Truth of the matter is, some people's hair is just prone to tangles. I once decided to spend a whole hour detangling my hair. Yes, 1 hour cause that's how bad my tangles are. I parted into very small sections, used a leave in with great slippage and used a seamless wide tooth comb and still couldn't get the tangles out. My hair has the tendency to bounce (if that makes sense) when I'm detangling which cause RETANGLING. You feel my pain sista? So basically I end up going over the same section multiple times still without getting most of the tangles out. Even stylists complain about it. Trust me, I have tried and tried and tried girl and even asked God WHY..............but finally my prayers are answered. I'm not trying to argue with you, simply stating my experience. This has been a lifelong up hill battle for me, my mom (when I was little) and my stylists. All I can say right now is THANKYA JESUS!

I could have written this myself! Problem I have now is I am a straightened natural so I need something that would detangle enough for me to flat iron. Braids may work but I don't like to wear them as a style and it seems counter productive to braid my hair if I'm going to flat iron.

I'm going to try this anyway and if it doesn't work, Nonie you can laugh at me :lachen:.

Nonie

I could have written this myself! Problem I have now is I am a straightened natural so I need something that would detangle enough for me to flat iron. Braids may work but I don't like to wear them as a style and it seems counter productive to braid my hair if I'm going to flat iron.

I'm going to try this anyway and if it doesn't work, Nonie you can laugh at me :lachen:.

Muse can you explain the bold? I flat iron my hair and I braid it when flat ironed for bed. Before I discovered Curlformers, I braided it to stretch before flat ironing. So I don't follow how it's conterproductive to braid hair if going to flat iron. That's what a lot of naturals do. Please 'splain.