Calling all those who wear braids/micros...I need advice

VroniL2006

Right now I am in Micros....this is the first time that I have ever had micros and the second time that I have put braids into my hair.

My hair is the type that prospers better when left alone...no weaves, no wigs, etc. However, I have been lazy and wearing wigs and weaves lately because I dont know how to style my hair with using heat and my face is too round for all the updos.

So...my last experience taking out my braids was not a good one. The girl who took them out put a relaxer in my hair...not even telling me that I should wait a couple of days to let the extra hair fall out (she was an avid braid wearer too, which is why I trusted her advice). Anyway, as soon as she went to wash the relaxer out, my hair clumped up badly and the clumps could not be taken out, they have to be cut out. Which means when I had to get a haircut to hid the damage. I do not want to go through that experience again!

Please give me some adivce on how to take care of my hair while they are in micros? What type of damamge should I expect or not expect? and how long should I wait before putting in a relaxer?

I am trying to keep them in up to 2 months...if I can make it that long. Right now I am spraying them with a anti-breakage leave in conditioner, and Mane'nTail Moisturizing Hair Strengthener Conditioner spray.

newflowers

I am in cornrows not braids, but I still think the best braids advice ever came from Sareca - treat your hair in braids as you would were it not. This includes washing, conditioning, deep conditioning, moisturizing - the whole nine yards. I can say that it works.

I think when you take your briads out, it shoul dbe gently and carefully combed to get out the shed hair. It takes a long long time, relatively speaking, but is well worth the effort. After that you can proceed as usual. On the C&G website, Robin recommends waiting 10ish days before relaxing. It seems that the big error was immediatley relaxing your hair before detangling, removing shed hair, washing, and deep conditioning a few times. There are also instructions for how to wash your hair in braids that may be useful for you.

Good luck.

VroniL2006

Thanks 4 the advice Newflowers. I did see Robins site about the Crown and Glory Method, which I have washed my braids once since I have gotten them in and I was very careful. I tuned the shower really low, so that a gentle spray came out and I used a sponge like on Robins video. I am just hoping that am I keeping enough moisture in my hair. I know how drying braids can be.

sareca

Did you see how she removes braids that have a lot of buildup? I use this method even when I don't have a lot of buildup.

Anyway, I detangle each braid before moving on to the next. Every 10-15 braids I comb it again then plait them before continuing with the next braid. All the combing seems harsh, but it's imperative that you get as many of the shed hairs out as possible.

InquiringMind

Yea, I was going to suggest the C&G site. Also, you have to wash your hair because the moisturizing products will build up and you get "dirt knots" at the root of your hair. I always comb through my hair with a big tooth comb, deep condition, then I wash, put a leave-in conditioner in and wait a week before getting a perm. During that time I bun it. That's just me though and I'm not sure if this is great advice. It works for me!!:)

ps. I do this anytime my hair is braided up (sew-ins, cornrows, braids, etc.)