Calling on Tracy & Other Hair Color Gurus

stacy

I really want to try Sebastians Colourshines. I'd like to try a rich, black color that will cover my gray strands, but I'm not sure what color to try. I do not plan to ever go lighter; although, as my gray comes in more and more, I'd like to eventually be all gray (but I do not want my gray to have that dingy, yellow look). I know that Sebastians has Black Orchid, but I do not want my hair (particularly, the grey) turning green or blue. Can I get that rich, black color if I mix Black Orchid with another color to neutralize the green and blue in Black Orchid? Is there another color (Mahogany or Coffee Bean) that will get me the same rich, blackish color? Help! Thanks. :)

pink_flower

I'm not a color guru but I've read almost every Colourshine post on this board :lol:

I just used Black Orchid and I love it. I was afraid of the green base so I mixed it with some Red-ality(I already had this on hand). Just as long as you mix it with a red color you should be fine. So far no green, just rich blue black.

If you don't want to go that dark I remember Tracy recommended the Neutral Brown. Its dark enough to turn already dark hair black but not TOO black. It also has a neutral base so you won't have to worry about it washing down to a funny color.

Oh and I have a few gray strands and Sebastions has colored my gray nicely, even when I used Red-ality.

HTH

Last edited:

stacy

pink flower, thanks for the response. What color did your gray become after the application of Black Orchid with the Red-ality? I want my gray to be black, too. In what proportions did you mix the two? Would any of the reds (like Black Cherry) do the trick? Also, have you washed since coloring? Has your gray lost its color? Again, thanks for responding!

pink_flower

The black orchid colored my gray hair black. There is NO sign of gray. I also didn't have exact measurements but I would say maybe a 3:1 ratio :yep:

I'm not sure about Black Cherry since I haven't used it myself, but Tracy recommended Reddissmo as a good color to mix, but I didnt want to buy a new color when I already had Red-ality. I just took a chance. :smirk:

I actually washed my hair last night, so this makes it the 3rd wash since my application and its still blue black. The dark rinses tend to have better staying power anyway.

gn1g

i've been wondering about tracy where did she go? There;s been so many fall-outs around here.

pink_flower

stacy said:
Thanks! Now I just have to find some Colourshines on the cheap side somewhere!

I got cha!

www.bargainside.com (the cheapest I've found but never ordered there. They have vendor reviews on the site.

www.sleekhair.com- I've used them twice, no problems at all.

UmSumayyah

Black Orchid is no joke. I'm still seeing blue on my white towels and I used it MONTHS ago, and have clarified my hair AND relaxed it since then.

Mizani_Mrs

Hey Pink flower, can you describe what color did Redissimo turn your hair? was it a warm red? I used colourshines in cinnamon and I loved the warm reddish color, but now it's fading to a brownish/orangish color. I'd be willing to try redissimo or redality for a more bold color if I hear any good reviews.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
I use neutral brown when I want black hair. I don't care for the coffee bean or black orchid. Mahogony will not give give a barely there brownish red tint. Barely.

I'm not sure about the gray coverage though. You might try a demi-perm color like Clairol's beautiful collection http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1430/320250 in a black that you like and put the neutral brown colourshines over it. This will mean two different color apps., but it's safe for your hair. It will strengthen the black staining and make it last longer.

pink_flower

Mizani_Mrs said:
Hey Pink flower, can you describe what color did Redissimo turn your hair? was it a warm red? I used colourshines in cinnamon and I loved the warm reddish color, but now it's fading to a brownish/orangish color. I'd be willing to try redissimo or redality for a more bold color if I hear any good reviews.

Hey! I've actually only used Redality. It turned my natural orange highlites a reddish color but gave my whole hair a orange-red tint. It washed down to a brownish-orange on my hair. I think if you want more red then redissimo would be better. Redality actually looks orange coming out the bottle.

Webby has a photos of redality in her hair, but her color is more pigmented since her hair was initally a lighter brown.

zora

I love Coffee Bean. It does the trick. Black Orchid was a hot mess for me. My hairdresser used it straight and my hair ended green in the light.

stacy

How do you apply the Colourshines? Do I wash and condition my hair first, wait until it is almost dry (75%), and then color? Can you apply it right after a touch-up (right after washing with the neutralizing shampoo)? Or, do I wait two weeks or so after a touch-up? Do I need to sit under the dryer with it? And, is it MTG compatible?!

zora

Wash your hair first. Towel dry your hair, but not too much. Apply the color and go under the dryer for 15-20 minutes.

You MUST wash your hair afterwards with shampoo. Just rinsing with water will not suffice or else you will have color in your fingernails and your blouses for the next week or so.

Use a simple conditioner to detangle. Don't go under the dryer again with a deep conditioner. It will take the color out.

Voila! Move on to your rollerset.

BTW, the BEST time to apply colourshines is when right after a relaxer because the color adds thickness to your hair and your hair 'takes' more at this time. Keep in mind you cannot do the same with permanent colors.

stacy

Zora, could I just rinse my hair first, then color if I have to shampoo the excess color out? Also, you do not do a conditioner straight away if you wash first? For example, Could I use Porosity Control before coloring? Also, would Humecto be too strong to use for the after color conditioner?

KAddy

I second the use of Coffee Bean. A hair dresser used that on my hair and it came out looking black. The pic below is a week after she applied it, so it is still fresh.

stacy

If I do go with Black Orchid, could I use any of the Sebastian Reds to neutralize the green in Black Orchid? The Gleaming Copper and Cinnamon are cheaper for me to purchase than the Black Cherry and I cannot seem to find a cheap Redissimo or Red-Ality.