Calling out all braid-wearers!!!!!

antoilee

Hey ladies!!!!!! So out of pure laziness I have decided to braid up my hair until the end of the year. I plan to get it braided (cornrowed) every 2 weeks and wash and deep-condition in between, but I've heard that keeping braids in for extended periods can thin out the hairline and break your hair. What do you ladies think??? More harm than good?? Or a good way to give your hair some rest???

ladylibra

check out the Crown and Glory technique (you can do a search on this site or go to www.growafrohairlong.com ). i have done it before (modified to better suit my hair :) ) and i plan on doing it again this fall/winter... my hair and hairline have not suffered from it - it's actually more beneficial to my hair to do protective styling (without extensions works better for me, but i alternate back and forth to keep from getting bored).

Kimberly

I've worn braids off and on without having damage done to my hairline because of it. For me, the most important thing was to make sure that the person braiding my hair didn't braid it too tight. If you are braiding it yourself, that shouldn't be a problem.

*KP*

I'd definitely say you should get a personal recommendation before allowing somebody to braid your hair, unless you are doing it yourself of course.

I have a very fine hairline and 9 times out of 10 only my mother braids my hair because she takes the time around my hairline. When she does my braids its the only time by hairline grows out nicely. Other people pull the hairline way too tight and you end up with your hair falling out from the root with the extensions.