Calling Weave Wearers!!

MelloYello

can you swim w/ a weave?
how often do you wash it?
what happens when you exercise?
what is your daily maintnance?
did the weave ever damage your hair & growth journey or help it?
how often do you get it "re-done"? do you allow for breaks in between weraing it?

I am seriously considering getting a weave for the first time and I know nothing about how you keep it together. I know you ladies will steer me in the right direction!

THANK YOU!

alliyah4eva203

i don't swim so i can't answer that one.
i wash it once a week
i spray my scalp twice a day. in the morning with surge and in the evening with a mixture of water and humectress. i haven't experienced any damage thus far.
i have it in for 12 weeks and get it re-tightened on the 6th week
i also have to brush it twice a day or it gets tangled

MelloYello

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
i don't swim so i can't answer that one.
i wash it once a week
i spray my scalp twice a day. in the morning with surge and in the evening with a mixture of water and humectress. i haven't experienced any damage thus far.
i have it in for 12 weeks and get it re-tightened on the 6th week
i also have to brush it twice a day or it gets tangled

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a ton on the spay twice a day tip!

HollyGolightly

can you swim w/ a weave?
that wouldn't be a good idea. its hard to wash your real hair when u wear a weave, and the chlorine would dry out and damage ur real hair

about every week and a half. when i washed more often (like every 4 days) i had problems with it coming loose, and when i washed less often (every 2 and a half weeks) the weave looked all tangled and dry

i put on a bandana around the front so that it won't frizz, and i put the rest in a ponytail.

i brush it constantly with one of those vent brushes to prevent tangles. at night i wrap it and cover with a silk scarf, and in the morning i unwrap and smooth down my real hair in the front with a little water, mango butter, or styling wax.

weaves really help my hair grow. they only times they ever damaged my hair were when the person undoing it was rushed, and yanked a lot of my real hair out. also, i once relaxed my hair right before and right after having a weave, and it thinned out my hair.

how often do you get it "re-done"? do you allow for breaks in between weraing it?
i get mine redone every 4 to 6 weeks. the breaks between vary, sometimes i'll wait a few days. once time i put one in the same day, immediately after taking one out!

MissDiva

I don't swim either but I don't see why it would be a problems as long as you wash the chlorine out of the hair.

I have been getting a wet and wavy weave, so I wet my entire head twice a day, with Infusium 23 or with a leave in conditioner that I mix up. I use to use Surge once a day but I ran out.

I wash it once a week

I keep my weaves in for 2 months at a time. And I get my hair redone whenever I want to let my hair rest.

The first time I got a weave it broke my hair off because I didn't properly care for it. My hair underneath was dry and brittle when I took the weave out. But since I've been taking care of it better my hair is usually really moisturized when I take the weave out.

DSTcutie

[ QUOTE ]
MelloYello said:
can you swim w/ a weave?

I am seriously considering getting a weave for the first time and I know nothing about how you keep it together. I know you ladies will steer me in the right direction!

THANK YOU!

[/ QUOTE ]

The first step to a good weave is some "good" hair (and a great hairdresser). Once you achieved that, you could do a lot more with your hair (ex. swimming, excercising, etc.) and it will still look good.

When I weave it up, I only wear REMI hair (it is the best hair in the world *so everyone says* that is used by the stars, etc.) It will cost you about $40-60 a box (many places more). A box of hair is more than likely good enough to cover a whole head at one time.

This hair doesnt bunch up in the back, or get tangled. You can curl it, leave it straight, etc. However, I only know of REMI coming as Yaki/Relaxed looking hair...I've never seen the wavy/curly hair.

For more information on where you can find this hair go to this website:

http://jbshair.com/welcome.html

-I wash my hair every other week.
-I excercise 4-5 times a week, and I have my hair wrapped with a scarf around it...when it time for me to leave for work, I simply comb my wrap down, and I'm looking great going out the door.
-Daily maintenance includes moisturizing MY own hair and scalp...the REMI hair rarely needs moisturizing (maybe every 2 or 3 days, if that)
-The sewn in weave is a great way to grow hair. My hair grows fast anyway when it is braided, so my hair stays braided under the weave.
-I get my hair re-done every 6-8 weeks...it would last longer but MY hair gets so nappy by this point, that it doesnt look right and it doesnt blend well with the REMI hair.
-Sometimes I get a weave put right back or I rock my own shoulder length hair for a week or more. It doesnt matter...that's pretty much up to you.

I hope that helps.