Can Anyone Just *NOT* Use Cheapie Co-Washes?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Bump Bump Bump.

I just tried co-washing with Suave Humectant (I love the consistency and the smell). Maybe it'll work a bit better than the Herbal Essences. I did my usual routine (co-wash, Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Jane Carter Condition & Sculpt). When my hair dries, I'll see how it feels.

I was thinking about switching leave-ins to combat the cheapie co-washes. Giovanni Direct is a great leave-in don't get me wrong, but maybe I need something a little more than "weightless moisture." I was thinking about Sheamoisture Leave-in.....I dunno.

Lucky's Mom

I would encourgage you to label read.....I know that for me.....that most of those ingredients in the cheapies - can dry your hair out over time.....

For example: Vo5 Condish ingredients are:

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Steareth 21, Glyceryl Stearate, Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Leaf Extract, Soy Milk, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 20, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 33 (CI 17200)

I researched the bolded a while back and found out that this softener/ humectant was developed as a fabric softener product initially - and started being used in hair products because it is cheap.

Over time, after it seems to moisturize - can turn on your hair and dry it out. :rolleyes: so much for moisture.....

I don't use these products at all.... and I think that co washes with condishes that don't have this ingredient might be helpful to you.

Bint Yusef

I cant TSU. Ive tried every cheapie under the sun. Organix is about as cheap as I can go. Pantene R&N Mask works great as a cowash too but its 6.99 a jar and I can literally use one jar on my head.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

here is the article:
the bolded is what got me off those condishes.

Is Your “Natural” Progesterone Cream Made With Fabric Softener?

“Beware of natural products that are cutting corners by using toxic, synthetic chemicals,” says Dr. Loretta Lanphier author of Balancing Your Hormones Without Drugs…You Can Feel Good Again.

(PRWEB) December 29, 2004 -- According to www.projectcensored.org, in 1997 the #2 censored story was cancer caused by cosmetics and personal care products.

According to Dr. Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP, “More than 38,000 cosmetic injuries requiring medical attention are reported annually in the US. Ingredients in shampoos, toothpastes, skin creams, and other personal care products, fabric softeners, make-up, hair care products, colognes, perfumes and other scented products can be dangerous to your health.”

Dr. Lanphier explains that a toxic chemical, stearalkonium chloride, is now being added to some natural progesterone creams. Stearalkonium chloride is a cheap emulsifier. Note that most manufacturers print “stearal konium chloride” on the label which makes it almost impossible to find research information as the correct spelling is steralkonium—all one word. According to the AFH Library stearalkonium chloride is a chemical used in hair conditioners and creams. It causes allergic reactions. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health. As a cationic surfactant this means these chemicals have a positive electrical charge. They contain a quaternary ammonium group and are often called "quats". They are used in hair conditioners, but originated from the paper and fabric industries as softeners and anti-static agents. In the long run they cause the hair to become dry and brittle. They are synthetic, irritating, allergenic and toxic, and oral intake of them can be lethal. Examples are Stearalkonium chloride · Benzalkonium chloride · Cetrimonium chloride · Cetalkonium chloride · Lauryl dimonium hydrolysed collagen.

According to the University of Texas database, ingestion of 3 cc of this toxic compound is enough to cause fatal convulsions in an adult human. Dr. Lanphier points out that absolutely everything that comes in contact with the skin has the potential of being absorbed directly into the bloodstream. We are not only taking in chemicals, orally, from processed foods but are also taking in more chemicals than we may realize through the largest organ of the body—the skin. Many of these chemicals build up in the body and eventually begin to cause health problems.

Since steralkonium chloride is labeled as a synthetic this means it cannot be considered as “natural.” Not only do we have a toxic substance but also a synthetic substance in products that are being marketed as “all natural.”

According to Dr. Lanphier, “While natural progesterone is the safest tool for total hormonal balancing, not all natural progesterone creams are created equal. You get what you pay for—cheap progesterone creams equal cheap and maybe even harmful ingredients. Consumers need to educate themselves and start holding manufacturers accountable for correct labeling and product ingredients. Any time we are putting something in or on our body, we should know the ingredients and possible side-effects of these ingredients.”

After much research and study, Dr. Lanphier states, “Oasis Serene is the only natural (bioidentical) progesterone cream that provides you with no harmful chemical additives or preservatives. Each batch is independently tested to ensure that you are getting the stated amount of progesterone with every use. Natural (Bioidentical) Progesterone Cream is not a “magic bullet.” But when used with a whole body approach (diet, exercise, stress reduction and supplementation) you can safely sail through menopause, pms and other hormone related health concerns. The good news is that in following these suggestions the hormones will become balanced--naturally.”

For more Information:
Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP
Oasis Advanced Wellness
www.oasisadvancedwellness.com

inthepink

This is an interesting thread. I'm going to purchase some Nature's Gate and Aubrey Organics and see if they make a difference for me, too.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I cant TSU. Ive tried every cheapie under the sun. Organix is about as cheap as I can go. Pantene R&N Mask works great as a cowash too but its 6.99 a jar and I can literally use one jar on my head.

I want to be able to use the cheapies so badly because of how....well....cheap....they are, lol.

I think I've just come to the conclusion that cheapie + styler = :nono:.

Now what to do with these bottles of HE.....

Nikki4ny

What if you added a little castor oil to the cheapies? I read on another thread that's what a girl did to finish up her cheapies. I havent tried it but it sounds good. :yep:

I'm searching for a good line to stick to. I need to add Elucence to my research list.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
What if you added a little castor oil to the cheapies? I read on another thread that's what a girl did to finish up her cheapies. I havent tried it but it sounds good. :yep:

I'm searching for a good line to stick to. I need to add Elucence to my research list.

Using castor oil instead of a styler does counteract the dryness of a cheapie. I used that method throughout the Fall last year. I guess I should revisit it.

You can't go wrong with Elucence! I will forever love her.

Ballerina_Bun

the only cheap conditioner that works well for my hair for co washes is Schwarz kopf Gliss conditioners and a couple of others, but nothing like VO5 or WhiteRain.

Sui Topi

I have this problem too. I tried a suave naturals and I couldnt wait until it was finished, I just mixed it in with my deep conditioners, and used it in spritzes, it never worked. I find when I was relaxed I had better luck with herbal essence, but I don't really want to get into all those cones lately. To me now adays, a cheapie co wash is a co wash with my 4 dollar natures gate pomegrante sunflower conditioner.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I have this problem too. I tried a suave naturals and I couldnt wait until it was finished, I just mixed it in with my deep conditioners, and used it in spritzes, it never worked. I find when I was relaxed I had better luck with herbal essence, but I don't really want to get into all those cones lately. To me now adays, a cheapie co wash is a co wash with my 4 dollar natures gate pomegrante sunflower conditioner.

Oooo, that sounds heavenly. I love my Jojoba Revitalizing Conditioner. Lately, I've been testing the Henna Shine Conditioner, and it's good too.

Nature's Gate is so underrated, IMO.

spacetygrss

Nope. Cheapies are horrid on my hair. They will halfway work if I soup them up some with oils, but even then it's not great.

PuffyBrown

I tried to work with cheapies but it just doesn work for me. I can def. feel you on the cost. I will say that you can find them at TJ Maxx, Marshalls for a good price, and you better grab em all when you see it because there will be another LCHF member coming right behind you.:yep:
Alot of times the BSS like JCPenny may have a buy one get one free which at that time you can stock up on a couple and maybe you can make your own using a mixture of some cheapies to make it last longer.

Country gal

I need a good conditioner for deep conditioning. I have VO5 free me fresia to scent my hair. I have been using Elucence conditioner, I need to try something else.

Country gal

Bump Bump Bump.

I just tried co-washing with Suave Humectant (I love the consistency and the smell). Maybe it'll work a bit better than the Herbal Essences. I did my usual routine (co-wash, Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Jane Carter Condition & Sculpt). When my hair dries, I'll see how it feels.

I was thinking about switching leave-ins to combat the cheapie co-washes. Giovanni Direct is a great leave-in don't get me wrong, but maybe I need something a little more than "weightless moisture." I was thinking about Sheamoisture Leave-in.....I dunno.

I like Lacio, Lacio leave in for my hair.

RosesBlack

V05 and Sauve both do nothing for me as far as cheapie cons go. I've tried a bunch of them and I get nothing.

The only cheapie con that my hair absolutely loves is White Rain Tropical Coconut.

bravenewgirl87

I get the same feeling from the cheap stuff. If its not Bumble and Bumble, it doesn't work for my hair. NOTHING works as well, except for maybe Organix. But, even that is not as good.

Country gal

I would encourgage you to label read.....I know that for me.....that most of those ingredients in the cheapies - can dry your hair out over time.....

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Steareth 21, Glyceryl Stearate, Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Leaf Extract, Soy Milk, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 20, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 33 (CI 17200)

I researched the bolded a while back and found out that this softener/ humectant was developed as a fabric softener product initially - and started being used in hair products because it is cheap.

Over time, after it seems to moisturize - can turn on your hair and dry it out. :rolleyes: so much for moisture.....

I don't use these products at all.... and I think that co washes with condishes that don't have this ingredient might be helpful to you.

My hair has been feeling dry. I believe it has to do with the cheapie conditioners.

Tarae

Wow, maybe this is what's been happening to my hair. I never cowashed much until this summer. At first my hair was feeling ok, but after a while it just felt weird. I thought it was all the airdrying.

Maybe it's the cowashing and the airdrying. Either way, I've cut back on both.

Angkin73

I am so glad you posted this. I was wondering if I was doing some thing wrong. I was to the point of stopping cowashs altogether. Thinking that it was just to much for my hair. Every time I do cowash and let it air dry, my hair feels so dry. I can't stand it.:wallbash:

I have been using the cheapie conditioners also, so I figure thats the problem. No matter what I put on my hair afterwards, its still very dry, when I know it shouldn't be.

I have The Natures Gate Henna (Love it) and Burts Bees for moisture (verdicts still out on this one). I just didn't want to use them as cowashes cause of the price.

I may have to go back to my Nexxus or Biolage. Hy hair loved these.:lick:
I never had this dry hair problem when I used them. I didn't cowash then either, I just washed and conditioned once a week. I may consider going that route again. IDK yet.

Last edited:

LadyKaypnyc

Depends on what you consider cheapies, my cheapies are Herbal Essences and Tressemme, I love them. They leave my hair so soft. I do have more expensive ones, but I save them for when my hair needs a little something extra...I can't use the Vo5/Suave for cowashes b/c they leave my hair dry (unless I add some serious product). I don't even buy them anymore b/c they do absolutely nothing for me.

bluevalentine

this is good info, i have tons of cheapies in my pj stash and i wanted to use them up but i doubt i ever will. like u stated, over time my hair just felt dryer and dryer when i would cowash with them so i just stopped using them (now i use organix coconut milk conditioner when i co wash or my beloved mizani moisturefuse).

Kay.Dee

I thought it was just me. They make my hair feel softer immediately after rinsing but soon after my hair feels pretty dry. The only way they aren't too bad is if I add a ton of honey.
I've pretty much stopped co-washing because my hair tangles easily, and it's worse after cowashing no matter what method I use.

shmmr

I bought the V05 strawberries and Suave coconut. The strawberries smelled like too much alcohol so I didn't use it - poured it right down the drain. Suave felt good at first, but then my hair got extra dry:nono:. I've never looked at buying them again. I'm cheap so I wish I could use them, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do...:yep:

envybeauty

********* ME********************

I cannot use cheap cowashes. Suave, VO5, etc. do nothing for my hair. I end up mixing them with oil or better conditioners.

:ohwell:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I just tried using Suave/HE/Organix for co-washes since I started this thread. The end result was less than desirable than when I used a conditioner like Nature's Gate. So that's it. When using a gel/sculpting lotion, no cheapie co-washes.

Lucky's Mom

I am glad to hear that people are really looking at these condishes.
My Cheapies...haaaaa are about 10 to 12 bucks.

So... Good luck ladies.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I can't use cheapies like V05 or Suave..... I didn't think I could use HE either until I tweaked it. I took LTR and mixed it with oils then used it. Girl I used Castor oil and thought well this is gonna leave me greasy.... but what da heck I'm not wasting this creamy goodness.:grin: Girl let me tell ya, my hair is STILL soft (new growf and all) and it's been a week. I've tried it with castor, evoo, and coconut, separately and blended. My fave is mostly castor with a few dallops of the other two. I noticed I had alot less breakage. It works pretty well for me now.... but my hair loves oils.