can i flat iron wet hair?!

BrittanyH26

so i'm preparig to go home.. haven't straightened my hair since i've been here. thinking about flat ironing.. can i flat iron wet hair?

i have paul mitchell super skinny serum w/ me.. and profectiv growth lotion.

seriously.. can i?

FindingMe

do you have a wet-to-dry flat iron made specifically for that purpose? there are ladies on the board that straighten or flat iron wet/damp hair with no issues....

isawstars

Unless it's a wet to dry flat iron, no. At least I wouldn't. Many flat irons state that you can straighten with slightly damp hair. For example my solia says you can use it on damp hair but my Sedu never recommended it. If you hear any "sizzling" that's BAD! :nono:

baddison

natural for good
I tried this with my CHI on my natural, damp 4b hair....and I could have sworn I was frying eggs.....the sizzle scared the MESS outta me!!:wallbash:

Needless to say.....I stopped midway thru!!:wallbash:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Check Irresistable's Fotki, she straightens her hair damp, with no ill effects, and in her words, sizzling in that case is just water evaporating, not your hair sizzling:look:.

Last edited:

NYAmicas

Seeker
I've done it with a reg flat iron, I'm relaxed. The sizzling thing was a turn off to me as well until I read others like Irresistible did it so I took a section of my hair and tried it. My hair came out feeling more moisturized than when I flat iron it on dry hair. I'd recommend not doing it on soaking wet hair and NOT to let the flat iron near your scalp -that heat travels!

TrustMeLove

I wouldn't do it. What's the issue with blow drying or waiting for it to air dry?

At what temperature does water boil? 100C. And what do you think is happening to your hair when the water is so hot that is sizzling?

The whole damp to flat iron thing never clicked with me...regardless of the results.

But, you might have to try it our for yourself. You never know until you try...