Flat ironing damp hair?

Glib Gurl

My hunch is that this is not a good idea . . . but I just bought a cheapy flat iron that says it's for use on wet or dry hair . . . I want to try it . . . but Iown know . . . .

Anyone have positive experiences flat ironing wet/damp hair?

KhandiB

I ve done it before, but it would be like if I BD my hair and then there are a few spots that are still damp. My advice would be let the hair dry, because you end up spending too much time running the flat iron over the damp part to get it dry and straight that it would just seem to save time to dry it all the way.

Plus Im sure its not great for your hair!

Mook's hair

I've seen those too and always though it sounded like a bad idea for my hair.

But I have seen advocates of it too.

JustKiya

And you know what the really sad part is? Using it on damp hair might (it just MIGHT) have your hair end up LOOKING better - for the short term.

Hair care companies don't really give a danggone about your hair health - just about giving you the 'appearance' based results that you want. And if getting those results leaves you with a fingertip of hair over the long run - well, they sell weaves, too. More of your money for them - which is what they are in business for.

*sucks teeth*

Can't really knock 'em, because it's good for their bottom line. Tis a damn shame, though, all the same.

drea3084

And you know what the really sad part is? Using it on damp hair might (it just MIGHT) have your hair end up LOOKING better - for the short term.

Hair care companies don't really give a danggone about your hair health - just about giving you the 'appearance' based results that you want. And if getting those results leaves you with a fingertip of hair over the long run - well, they sell weaves, too. More of your money for them - which is what they are in business for.

*sucks teeth*

Can't really knock 'em, because it's good for their bottom line. Tis a damn shame, though, all the same.

I agree though all the more why it's great to have LHCF and all the women on here to share their experiences and to post articles like these before you do something you may regret...I did this once and ended up doing a BC after I couldn't stop the breakage.:sad:...Now I know better for my hair...stay away from the direct heat at all costs when hair is wet or dry.

clever

NO!!!
Ok,I tried this(a few times):look:because I loved the shine and straightness I got from doing it.Well...I also got some damaged/split ends from doing it.I would imagine because the heat was "boiling" the water into my strands.Anyway,now whenever I use heat I make sure my hair 100% dry.Its not worth the drama...

onyxcabelo

I've done this a couple times, only because I was in a hurry and just wanted to hurry up and get my hair finished. All I got was breakage:nono: - don't do it.

HairHustla

My hunch is that this is not a good idea . . . but I just bought a cheapy flat iron that says it's for use on wet or dry hair . . . I want to try it . . . but Iown know . . . .

Anyone have positive experiences flat ironing wet/damp hair?

Hi Glib Gurl,

I wanted to let you know that I have had this experience, but it was out of not knowing any better...the results, well I kinda dried my hair with the flat iron and then proceeded to flat iron the hair. (Don't you dare tell anyone) Did it hurt anything? Well, my hair got straight but it wasn't snoop dog silky smooth, it was more like Jada on a bad day....so, it can be done, but not recommended.
Hope this helps!