Can I get your opinion? Should I just go and cut my hair?

Glitter

I am hoping to get some expert LHCF opinions before scheduling my next salon appt.

Backstory:
I have been struggling with my hair over the past few months. I don't go to salons that often, but I do go to salons for two services: chemical (touchup) and cuts. I have had both of these botched in the last few months (since December).

I had a stylist overprocess my touch-up. I've written about it before, but the result was EXTREME breakage. While the rest of my hair was SL, the left side of my hair was broken off at the demarcation line. Literally, my hair was 1/4-1/2 inch long, starting from the hair line and going 1"-2" back into the hair. It wasn't pretty.:sad::sad::sad:

I started to grow this out, with the help of LHCF. Most of these spots are 3"-5" in length (the temple and widow's peak, though, are still short. 1"-2").

Anyway, I decided to get a haircut to help hide some of the breakage. However, the cut was, in a word, HORRIBLE. I ended up with an asymetrical cut that I tried to get fixed another salon. The second stylist first sugested I cut my hair down to 2 inches. I said no way. I just asked her to make my hair symetrical. The result was another few inches just coming off my hair, making me chin length. When I saw the results, I started crying in the salon:cry:. I honestly cannot tell which cut is worse: the asymetrical one or the "corrective."

Current story:
That "corrective" haircut occurred at the beginning of April. Since then, I've found a potential new stylist that I really like and trust. He did my hair for a wedding and it looked amazing. He also talked with me a lot -- when I came in to make the appt, we did a 20 minute consultation and when I got in his chair, we had another 30 minute talk. He knows my goals, my lifestyle and he sat down and showed me pictures of his work and gave me his bio/what he expects he can reasonably do with my hair.

Anyway, the new stylist suggested that I get a get a corrective cut the next time I am in a salon. He explained and pointed out that the "corrective" cut I got in April was really a perimeter cut....as in, the stylist didn't actually cut it, layer by layer/ piece by piece. The result is a boxy, botched haircut.

The question:

Right now, I am dealing with two problems: a bad haircut and growing out my breakage spots. My stylist said it would be easier for me if I was just concentrating on one of those issues (taking care of the breakage spots) instead of both. Do you think he is right? Should I get another haircut to corrective the "corrective" cut? To be fair, I wouldn't be losing that much hair, since I'm probably still not longer than NL. But I just have been dealing with such traumatic hair experiences these past few months that I'm not sure I want to see more hair coming off my head.

I need to get a touchup sometime next week (hoping for 2 inches of growth!) Should I also go ahead and schedule a cut as well?

Thank you all!

Janet'

Glitter,

I am sorry that this happened to you. It seems like you have found a stylist who is not only interested in styling your hair, but helping you reach your goals of health. I am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but what he says sounds right. If you are going to eventually need to cut, why not go ahead and cut the few inches now-you know that it will grow back.AND, it seems like you have someone in your corner who can really help you attain those goals. Best wishes with whatever decision you make...

lesedi

All is well with me
Firstl, sorry that all this has happened to you.:bighug:

If I were you, I'd go for the cut so I'd have a fresh slate. All your hair would be the same length and I reckon it would look better too. If you trust your new stylist, then go for it...:grin:

JustSimplyTish

I too am sorry you are going thru this.....

However I think if you feel comfortable with your stylist and trust that he knows the direction that you want to go in and can help you reach that goal ...then I would take his advice....

But, I have to say I personally do not believe in holding on to damaged hair....In my personal experience it causes my healthy hair to suffer and not grow to the potential it should.

I wish you luck with your decision...But cutting the damaged off will allow you to concentrate on growing the healthy hair out without a lot more setbacks

Last edited:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Definitely health over length. I believe your stylist. I'd rather have a short styled 'do then holding on to different damaged lengths. you can always wig it. But all in all it's better as a style. I'd say go for it.

Jazala

If you plan to wear your hair out then you will look better with the cut but if you plan on ps'ing and your hair is just uneven (not splitting or damaged) then you dont have to cut it now.

brucebettye

It depends on what you are going to do with your hair. If you are going to wear your hair I say cut it so that it will look nice and healthy. If you are going to wear wigs or half wigs I say don't cut it off. If your stylist is going to help you have healthy hair and not cut if off every time you get in their chair than it will grow and this cut will only help in that process.

imaccami

I say cut because the side that's shorter will never catch up to the longer side, it doesn't grow faster than the other side, so it will have to be cut eventually.

I also think you should try self relaxing, but if you really don't want to I think you should pay close attention to what the stylist is doing when he/she is giving you a relaxer. Glance at your watch when they start to apply it and make sure that you're in the bowl being rinsed 22 minutes later.

Good luck :)

hair4romheaven

If it were me I would get the corrective cut "meaning get rid of all dead/split damaged ends. Get a protein treatment if needed followed by moisture. DC for the next two weeks and get a weave/braids or wig to PS. so you can concentrate on getting your hair healthy again instead of styling (relaxing) while it is recovering.
Good luck HTH

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i would definitely do the cut. you'll feel much better about your hair with a nice cut and just get all that damage out of the way so you can start growing a nice, new healthy head of hair.

Aireen

Aw, I'm so sorry! I hate when "professionals" and people in general can't do the job designated to them.

I think you should cut, it would definitely be beneficial to get rid of most if not all of the over-processed ends so it won't keep breaking or splits won't continue up the shaft. Like your stylist said, it would be easier to try to concentrate on one problem instead of two. Your stylist seems to genuinely care about the health of your hair and seems to know what he's doing, you're in good hands. So follow his advice since he really seems to be a PROFESSIONAL. Along with his care at the salon, healthy hair practices, the tips and support on LHCF, and patience your setback will be no big thing in the future.

Glitter

Just want to thank everyone. What I'm hearing is that I need to make a choice between wearing a weave or getting a cut. If I get the weave (or braids), I don't need to cut it but if I don't wear weaves, I should get some type of cut.

I'm making my decision tomorrow, so I'll let you know then. Onto reading threads about weave options so I can make an informed decision!