Can I relax my hair throughout my whole pregnancy

atmo718

Hi Ladies,

I am feeling so confused. Can I relax my hair during the whole 9 months.Currently I am 5 months pregnant, and is due for a touch up once again. I would like to maintain my relaxed hair regimen. Also someone recommended that you don't relax your hair after the 7th month. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? I have know other way of maintaining my straightness without getting touch-up. BTW can I wash my hair after I have the baby,mother used to say "do not wash your hair until two weeks later because your body is still open". Is that saying true? Ladies please help my 4b hair stay descent looking for work and baby delivery day.

Honey

One of the reasons people recommend not use a relaxer (or other chemical treatments) in the later stages of pregnancy (or during the monthly cycle) is that hair is can be affected by hormones levels. So women find that their hair is very resistant during this time, while others have the opposite response and their hair processes very quickly. So while I would not say don’t, I would urge you to exercise extreme caution.

As for not washing the hair after birth, I think that just an old wives tale

dstdiva

i kept my hair in cornrows for most of my pregnancy, but i did get it permed for my shower (vain!) when i was about 8 1/2 months. however, i only did this ONCE I GOT MY DOCTOR'S APPROVAL. my ob is a black female and i trusted her advice. about a week after giving birth, i had my hair washed and rebraided. so, i too think that that is a myth.

nita4

I relaxed my hair during my pregnancy, but that was before I joined this forum. I didn't have any problems at all.

localhost

I heard that fumes from the chemicals can cause damage to the baby. Getting relaxers, going into nail shops, etc are bad when you breathe in the gases and toxins. I don't have children yet, but this is something that seems to make sense to me.

Tracy21

atmo718,

I have heard pretty much all of the same "myths/old wives tales" that the ladies have posted before me. I relaxed my hair during both of my pregnancies. With my first pregnancy however, I did not have to relax after my 7th month.... my hair starting growing out BONE STRAIGHT....
????? Needless to say, both of my children are healthy. A bit energetic but healthy. I believe pregnant women stand a greater risk from everyday environmental factors (pollutants in the air, etc.) than any harm from chemical hair processes. I am not a doctor, so these words are not gospel....but this has been my experience.

douglala

My gyn told me the problem with getting your hair relaxed is with the fumes. It is not good to breathe in those toxins while you are pregnant. While our bodies can withstand this. A developing fetus may not be able to.

nita4

While this will truly be your decision. I have to agree with Tracy21 regarding environmental pollutants. I was pregnant during the summer and developed asthma symptoms that bother me to this very day. My baby has it too. Otherwise she is well advanced for her age. She is turning five this August and going into the first grade.

atmo718

I guess I will keep getting my touch-ups until I go into labor. I really want too look good while I am in all that pain; and after leaving the hospital with my bundle of joy. I don't want my fianc'e to say I looked busted while pregnant... He has a smart mouth, and so far so good no negative comments,which I would like to keep it that way.

nita4

Well girl, I kept mine relaxed and I still looked busted through labor and when I left. Get your hair braided if possible - then you are guaranteed not to look busted. Plus it will help afterwards when you are to tired to do your hair. Oh and if possible get a pedicure too - I had this thing about my toe nails looking pretty. Best to you and your bundle of joy.

Devonte's mommy

I stopped relaxing early in my pregnancy because my hair resisted. I just got my hair braided as an alternative. Your best bet is to ask your doc just to be on the safe side.

And congratson the baby
They are so precious

MissM

You can relax your hair during pregnancy. I work for my ob/gyn and I am currently pregnant myself. The word on anything when you are pregnant (taking meds or hair coloring, etc) is better safe than sorry, so if your doc is not sure about something they are safer to tell you not to do it. My group of drs find nothing wrong with any of these things, they leave it up to their patient.

But I think someone mentioned they usually don't recommend it because of your hormones, meaning whatever you are doing to your hair may not take properly. This is true. There really isn't any evidence against any hair processes. In fact our nurse midwife got her entire head of hair lightened when she was 6 months pregnant. I myself am 6mths pregnant and I've decided transitioning is not for me and I will be relaxing soon. Personally I don't believe there is any harm in it. And besides women have been doing it for decades without terrible side effects.

I can do you one better on the old wives tales: after my sis gave birth my mother scolded her not to wash her hair for SIX weeks cause she was still 'open'-dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. I'm waiting for her to suggest the same to me! It's crazy how some of these antiquated ways of thinking still exist!

godzooki

I relaxed with both my pregnancies but I think if and when we go for #3 I will relax only once during the entire 10 months (mid) and maintain with braids/cornrows and such.

Chichi

Hi atmo,

First of all, congratulations on your baby! I wish you a very good delivery. God Bless.

I would not relax my hair if pregnant. Just read this thread; there are conflicting views... A friend's doctor told her not to relax during the first trimester. Why take the chance? You just have a few months to go... Why not braid your hair now, when you have baby, you will have a thick head of hair. Besides, braiding is so much easier to take care of. Imagine rollersetting at 8 months

Look at Kelly Ripa, when she had her first baby, she didn't color her hair, at the end of her pregnancy her hair was half brown half blond. And this from an actress who made money from her look. I think that she is a good role model in this regard... Just my $.02. Good luck to you!

Chichi

atmo718

Devonte's Mom thank you for your reply,I asked my doctor and he suggested against it. So I went to a Dominican Salon and they said it was okfor me to relax and that they relax a lot of women's hair without any bad effects.