Can you relax your hair during pregnancy?

GodivaChocolate

Ladies my cousin is in her first trimester and she asked if she could relax her hair in her first trimester? she also wanted to color some gray, is it ok if she uses rinses or henna's and can she relax her hair with the Phtyo brand relaxers?
Thanks

sikora

I'm not a parent so I don't know for sure, but I think some women do. However, some women complain that their hair is somewhat resistant to relaxers during this time.

GoldenBreeze

Some doctors reccommend not relaxing during pregnancy. I know that the Phyto brand has mostly natural ingredients, so it might be alright. If it were me, I would not relax during pregnancy. That's just me, and other ladies may have a different opinion. Henna, would probably be okay.

Maybe she can try the coconutmilk and lime mixture to assist with easier combing until after the baby is born. I don't think it straightens like a relaxer, but some ladies really enjoy it. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=127306

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=12363

Last edited:

ShiShiPooPoo

Hair relaxer does not pass through the placenta...so it is fine.

I relaxed through both of my pregnancies and my kids weren't born with two heads or anything.

PrincessScorpion

She can relax during this time, but in my case it did not take because less than a week later it was like the cream had not even touched my head. It look like a had 8+ weeks of new growth.:shocked::shocked::cry: so I gave it up until after I had the baby.

Sha76

From my experiene, yees you can relax while pregnant. I did with my first and witht e one I am carrying now. But I stretched as long as humanly possible for me.

But be warned it may not take very well and your skin may react differently to it.

Tee

My doctor advised me to avoid all chemicals if possible. If I had to relax, he suggested that I wait to my last trimester. I only relaxed once while preganant. (No color at all)

If I would have know what I know now, I would have skipped relaxing all together.

madamone

Well, there are no naturals in my family or circle of friends. I've joined the ranks of relaxer stretchers recently but I don't know anybody else who does this. I don't know of a single touch up missed during any pregnancy I have been part of, including my own. Should I be blessed with another child I would probably stretch as long as possible.

shadylane21

I have 3 kiddos and relaxed with all of them with no problem, that being said i am working on a fourth next month and i will try to stretch and use the phyto because of the ingridents, as for dying your hair it is also safe, just trying looking it up on webmd.