Can someone explain to me how a protein treatment reduces shedding?

i can understand how a protein treatment can reduce BREAKAGE but not shedding. What does hair shedding from the scalp have to with lack of protein in the hair strands?

wheezy807

i could understand how a protein treatment reduces breakage, too. But shedding? I always thought shedding was a natural process that occurs with everyones hair? Where did you see this at? Maybe someone misquoted?

*Michelle*

wheezy807 said:
i could understand how a protein treatment reduces breakage, too. But shedding? I always thought shedding was a natural process that occurs with everyones hair? Where did you see this at? Maybe someone misquoted?

You guys are right...sometimes I think the terms get mixed up. There truly is a difference between them.

sexyaqr

Protein treatments do not reduce shedding. It can reduce breakage only. I am living proof. I shed all year round like a cat. A little more in the winter but have always and I still maintain my length. And I lose those beloved long strands but I have given up hoping for it to stop.

wheezy807 said:

it's something i see alot on the boards

someone will make a thread about shedding and other members will suggest doing a protein treatment

or

someone will say doing a protein treatment stopped her shedding

or

someone will make a post how she did a protein treatment and she's still shedding

maybe people are using the wrong terms but i see it on these boards alot, i just don't see what one thing has to do with another

ToyToy

I agree with the others. I too shed a lot all year round, and whilst protein treatments have not been able to combat that, they have prevented my hair from breaking, and they make my hair feel stronger and more robust (and healthier).

Bint Yusef

How can you tell the difference between breakage and shedding?

Small little pieces of hair..breakage or shedding?
Longer pieces with white bulbs at the end, brekage or shedding?

Mook's hair

OnAHairQuest said:
How can you tell the difference between breakage and shedding?
Small little pieces of hair..breakage or shedding?
Longer pieces with white bulbs at the end, brekage or shedding?

Here's my understanding:
Small little pieces of hair = breakage
Longer pieces with white bulbs at the end = shedding

I have protein treatment questions.
Protein Treatments are supposed to last 6 weeks. Does it depend on how many times you wash your hair during the 6 weeks?
Where did that length of time from?

Ladies help me out.

preciousjewel76

Mook's hair said:
Here's my understanding:

Protein Treatments are supposed to last 6 weeks. Does it depend on how many times you wash your hair during the 6 weeks?

Ladies help me out.

Protein treatments don't necessarily last 6 weeks for everybody. The Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair states on the label that it is supposed to strengthen hair for 6 weeks. I haven't tried that one, but some ladies use it more or less often than 6 weeks, depending on their hair.

Not all protein treatments are created equal.

Mook's hair said:
Here's my understanding:

Ladies help me out.

This is right. But you can also have long pieces of broken hair because hair can break at any point. For example, if I don't moisturize my new growth, my hair can break where the relaxed hair and new growth meet (point of demarcation).