Can someone please explain the 'No 'Poo' Method?

H

HoneyRockette

Can someone please explain the \'No \'Poo\' Method?

Is it only for natural hair? How does it work and how does your hair, (please indicate whether natural or relaxed) respond to it? Is it anything like conditioner only washes?

Re: Can someone please explain the \'No \'Poo\' Method?

HoneyRockette,

From what I understand, it's the elimination of shampoo from your routine and replacing it with conditioner, hence the term 'conditioner wash', which is what I've been doing lately and I am relaxed.

Twice a week I wash my hair with conditioner (Suave w/Aloe Vera), deep condition with Elucence conditioner, oil my scalp with my castor/emu oil combo and proceed to rollerset.

Let me tell you, I have absolutely no complaints and will continue with this routine. I will occasionally clarify to remove any buildup, but the results thus are very moisturized, very soft hair and my scalp feels just fine.

So that's what I know. They've had a many discussions about this over at the naturally curly board. You might want to check it out for further info.

Tam

What are the benefits of using this method?

<font color="green"> I have been on this method for a few months now and the biggest benefits for me have been less dryness, less frizz and fewer (and less) products needed to tame my hair. </font color>

Hi Honeyrockette,

I'm natural and I did the no poo routine over the summer after my braid incident. My hair loved it and it is exactly what you said using conditioner only to wash your hair although I did wash once a week. The no poo routine is to help define the curls and keep the hair soft. The book Curly Girls also had a few recipes and ingredients that you shouldn't put in your hair because they strip your hair.

Hi /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am currently on this No Shampoo routine, and my hair LOOOOVES it. Here is the step by step, and it comes from the book Curly Girl. So it is intended for naturally curly heads (doesn't matter 3 or 4), however if you suffer from dry hair, I'm sure it would work.

Here are the steps:

1. Stand under showerhead like you are standing under a water fall to get your hair wet.

2. Use conditioner on the outer perimeter of your hair, and then work it into your hair, kind of finger combing through. Use your fingertips to scrub the scalp

3. When rinsing again, let the shower water fall over your head to "distribute" but not to fully rinse the conditioner out all the way.

4. Take a towel and squeeze dry your hair, starting from the bottom.

5. Apply your styling product

For the Lemonade take a whole lemon and mix with conditioner, and then use on your scalp and hair and rinse through hair.

I do that about once per week.

It has done amazing, amazing things for my hair, I am in awe. Here are some more "testimonials": http://motowngrl.8m.net/regimen.html

and there was a huge thread on it at naturallycurly.com, here is the link: http://bb.naturallycurly.com/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=1&amp;t=020782

There are SOOOOO many pages to that above thread but a terrific read.

Again, water and friction (depending I guess on what you coat your hair with) plus the cleansers that are in conditioners get the scalp and hair clean. I've been doing it now for 4 months and I LOVE it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So from the popularity of this...is it safe to infer that Shampoo is very drying and strips the hair?

<font color="blue">
It really depends on the shampoo since all shampoos are not created equally. Shampoos that contain sulfates are more drying to your hair than soap based shampoos such as Aveda Sap Moss, Aubrey Organics, Jason and others.

</font color>

wow! i tried this last nite and my hair is nice, soft and fluffy bouncy! i washed my hair with pantene smooth and sleek conditioner (it kinda actually foams like a shampoo and smells great) and then deep conditioned with UBH conditioner, followed by another pantene S&amp;S conditioner wash to soften and moisturize under the shower. after air drying i parted my hair into 4 sections and used the pantene again as a leave-in together with a little WGO. then i twisted the sections, satin covered and went to bed! looks like i am hooked on this for years to come. my hair is much much lighter and has soft, loose curls and smells good! thanks! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

http://motowngrl.8m.net/no_shampoo.htm

A great explanation of the no shampoo method. I think it works for relaxed hair, too. IIRC, Caramela does conditioner washes.
I use too many hair products to eliminate shampoo completely. My version of "no-poo" is to take a mild shampoo and dilute it with distilled water. I use a plastic bottle with an applicator tip (like the ones used for coloring hair) so the shampoo gets directly on my scalp. I could see a difference after my first shampoo. My hair wasn't stripped and it was softer and easier to comb.
So far, the gentlest shampoos I've found are: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Island Butter Shampoo, Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta Rose Hip Herbal Shampoo, Crème of Nature (red or green label), Salon Selectives Completely Drenched, Curl Friends, African Wonders Soft Curl, African Formula Shea Butter Shampoo and Wal-Mart brand Lavender scented Baby Shampoo.
I guess I make a 50/50 shampoo/water mixture...

I don't wash my hair with shampoo and I don't wash my hair with conditioner either. I wash with baking soda to clarify and vinegar to wash.

wow! i tried this last nite and my hair is nice, soft and fluffy bouncy! i washed my hair with pantene smooth and sleek conditioner (it kinda actually foams like a shampoo and smells great) and then deep conditioned with UBH conditioner, followed by another pantene S&amp;S conditioner wash to soften and moisturize under the shower. after air drying i parted my hair into 4 sections and used the pantene again as a leave-in together with a little WGO. then i twisted the sections, satin covered and went to bed! looks like i am hooked on this for years to come. my hair is much much lighter and has soft, loose curls and smells good! thanks! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm trying the no poo method after my moisture prepoo. However I do shampoo after my protein prepoo b/c of fear of leaving too much protein cond or egg in my hair.

So do you all think it's okay NOT to shampoo after protein prepoo...??? :look:

Didnt know there was a name for the rountinue already on the board...I have been doing this for months. I was already aware that shampoo is harsh to the hair. So i elimanted my hair being shampooed only once a month. Works for me!!

I dc twice a week with various oils and conditioners.

Back